Fasten your seatbelts

Caporegime
036m78y.png

I can't recall ever hearing of such a case, although I'm sure it's happened before.

No details yet, so it's unclear if they died from a direct injury caused by the turbulence or if they suffered a cardiac arrest.

More than 30 injured as well apparently.

Last edited:
Soldato
RIP.

I do keep my belt on, albeit loose. With a bit of a beer belly though, I can certainly see why you'd undo it for comfort reasons.

Shows how utterly fragile we are in the face of the thin line between nature and our exploitation of it.

Man of Honour
When I was in the RAF I was onboard a Lockheed L1011 Tristar coming back from the Falklands after a 4 month tour during the 90's. We were flying along the west coast of Africa when the fasten seatbelt sign came on. This was just in time as we ran into some severe turbulence and the kite was being thrown around all over the place. The worst part was when everyone had that sensation when you leave your stomach behind when you drop and it turned out afterwards that we lost 500 feet in altitude. Everyone was bricking it and I thought my number was up but we eventually got through it and climb back to our assigned altitude. That was a couple of very scary minutes that seemed to drag on forever and luckily nobody was injured although quite a few sick bags were used up.

Soldato
Probably would have been serving a meal at that time. As it was a couple of hours out from Singapore. Flight radar doesn’t show any significant descent until after the incident and they have diverted to Bangkok.

Soldato
When I was in the RAF I was onboard a Lockheed L1011 Tristar coming back from the Falklands after a 4 month tour during the 90's. We were flying along the west coast of Africa when the fasten seatbelt sign came on. This was just in time as we ran into some severe turbulence and the kite was being thrown around all over the place. The worst part was when everyone had that sensation when you leave your stomach behind when you drop and it turned out afterwards that we lost 500 feet in altitude. Everyone was bricking it and I thought my number was up but we eventually got through it and climb back to our assigned altitude. That was a couple of very scary minutes that seemed to drag on forever and luckily nobody was injured although quite a few sick bags were used up.

Had similar experience few years ago on the way back from holiday in India. Flying over the ocean the sign came on and after about a minute even the cabin crew was scrambling for the nearest empty seats, one next to me, to put belts on after they put breaks/secured the trolleys. Probably only lasted like 5 minutes but felt like eternity. Kissed my gf and we honestly thought that this might be it. As far as I know nobody was injured.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Any bus or coach used to carry children must have seatbelts fitted these days. Obviously your normal 24 to South Ealing run by TFL won’t, but all the private coaches used to ferry school kids around will have them.

Only if it's a "school bus" specifically for children, if it's a normal commercial "urban bus" that's being used in a dual role (as a lot are) then there's still an exemption afaik.

There's been a campaign to get the exemption dropped after a school bus crash involving 60 kids a coupole of years ago around here https://medium.com/behind-local-new...lt-campaign-by-lincolnshire-live-ecd684e2bca1

Back
Top Bottom