Faulty Item - what can i do?

Soldato
Purchased an item a little over three years ago, from a UK based online store.

Recently the item just stopped working. There is absolutely no sign of any visible damage. So it must have something to do with the internals. I contacted the retailer and their response was basically "sorry. You purchased this item more than 6 months ago. We cannot help".

I've since found out about the Sale of Goods Act. Which (if I've understood this correctly) retailers are still required to look into such cases. Apparently the Sale of Goods Acts covers items for up to six years.

Now I'm just about to respond to the retailer's last update with the following. Let me know what you think

Thank you for getting back to me.

Despite this being outside of your 6 month liability period. It is still within the 6 year warranty right, as stated within the Sale of Goods Act 1979. So as this is the case I have the right to request a refund, replacement or to have the item repaired. Now I would like it of you could either replace or repair the item.

If neither of these can be done then I shall arrange to have the item repaired and then report you to Trading Standards. As you would be breaching my statutory rights.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
SOGA (or the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which replaced it) isn't as all-encompassing a guarantee as it sounds - after this long, you would have to prove the item was faulty in some way that made it more likely to break, when it was sold to you.

6 years is how long you have to claim, not how long it has to last.

This might help - http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Noted. Thanks

Will also be a little more relaxed in the next email.

Soldato
OP
Removed the threatening stuff.

Will await their response. In other news I have been in contact with TM. Those donuts have me running in circles. Wanting me to give them money for solutions that may not even work. I don't know why they just don't ask me to ship the thing over to them...

OCUK sell these right. You think they would have the skills to review and repair it? At a cost of course.

Soldato
OP
In so far as what is reasonable, that would be down to the judge, or arbitration.
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer, rather than the retailer?
Logitech were renowned for their customer service, I am unsure in relation to thrustmaster.

TM have been good and that they respond within reasonable time frames. However, they're very much trial and error. Which is okay for a short while. But could easily become very expensive.

Soldato
OP
Right so TM want 60 euros for a PCB. Something that I would need to install myself lol.

As for proving when the fault took place... I guess it swings both way and it would end up being my word against theirs. It seems that's black and white at the moment.

Soldato
OP
What?
Now you are making very strange statements, it has been 3 years post purchase, so clearly it is three years post purchase, rather than your word against theirs...
Are you suggesting you would lie over when things stopped working?

I'm saying whatever you saw in my previous post. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Now TM have suggested that the circuit board may have died.

Would it be unreasonable to suggest that the killer was around from the day I purchased the wheel?

Soldato
OP
id say its unlikely for an underlying fault to take 3 years to show itself.

personally i think 3 years is reasonable for a game controller which lets face it is going to have some serious wear and tear.

My PS3 controllers still work to this day and look as good as new. I guess it all depends on useage. I would just expect thing like these to be a little more robust.

Soldato
OP
Who would you expect to do it? :p

Maybe you can ask them to change you more for them to repair or install?

Though if they suggested this option, i doubt they will off the service

If the soldering was bad, you would have a fault ages ago. If the solder was that crap stuff that comes away quite easily, its wear and tear (considering it was good for three years).

It seems you are adamant that the fault is with them and you deserve some form of compensation or something from them, but you have no idea about the fault. If i were in your shoes, i would look at it as if i had broken the item myself and would be either looking to repair or replace it myself, at the cost of my own time and/or money.

That's just it. No one knows what the fault is (okay so TM have a good idea) but the retailer doesn't. All I'm asking is that they at least review the case and not cut me off.

Soldato
OP
You could always pay somebody else to repair it. Offering to supply you a replacement PCB is actually very good service. I'm unsure as to what you think you're entitled to.

You make it sound as if I'm being ungrateful. I'm totally fine with them offering a replacement. I just didn't want to fit it myself and potentially make things worse.

Soldato
OP
If I can get it reviewed and repaired without spending another penny then happy days. But I need to know whether or not they will do that. Before opening up the base.

If the retailer tells me to sling my hook then I'll take the PCB from TM and have it installed.

Back
Top Bottom