We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated. In
fact it may be necessary to encounter defeats, so we can know who the
hell we are, what can we overcome, what makes us stumble and fall and
somehow miraculously rise. And go on.

Not sure who it is from originally, but it's from a track by LTJ Bukem

Soldato
Haggisman said:
Not sure who it is from originally, but it's from a track by LTJ Bukem

You are a legend for listening to the Bukem. Very cool quote too.

I don't have any quotes, so I'll leave you with my latest knockback.

Love, I've got a Gucci suit at home, why would I shop at Matalan?

Ant :cool:

Caporegime
Mr Antolini said:
Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them - if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry.

Somerset said:
Ernest Hemingway once said "The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for". I agree with the second part.

Soldato
Two from the Dune saga that I love..
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Anything outside yourself, this you can see and apply your logic to it. But it's a human trait that when we encounter personal problems, these things most deeply personal are the most difficult to bring out for our logic to scan. We tend to flounder around, blaming everything but the actual, deep-seated thing that's really chewing on us.

In fact there are LOADS from that set.

Associate
fatiain said:
There are days when all around you see your shining light, and there are days when you are overshadowed. Just make sure every day you appreciate the fact that you are french.

*Runs*

Last edited:
Permabanned
My current fave, although I only came across it a couple of months ago:

An elder Cherokee Native American was teaching his grandchildren about life. He said to them, "A fight is going on inside me...It is a terrible fight, and it is between two wolves. One wolf represents fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, pride and superiority. The other wolf stands for joy, peace, love, hope, sharing, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. This same fight is going on inside of you and every other person too."

They thought about it for a minute and then one child asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?" The old Cherokee simply replied..."The one I feed."

Treefrog said:
LOL @ fatiain :D

Soldato
Mmm reading through Dune quotes now... one for the ol' global warming argument...
The thing the ecologically illiterate don't realize about an ecosystem is that it's a system. A system! A system maintains a certain fluid stability that can be destroyed by a misstep in just one niche. A system has order, a flowing from point to point. If something dams the flow, order collapses. The untrained miss the collapse until too late. That's why the highest function of ecology is the understanding of consequences.
Kynes in "Appendix I: The Ecology of Dune"
On religion
Much that was called religion has carried an unconscious attitude of hostility toward life. True religion must teach that life is filled with joys pleasing to the eye of God, that knowledge without action is empty. All men must see that the teaching of religion by rules and rote is largely a hoax. The proper teaching is recognized with ease. You can know it without fail because it awakens within you that sensations which tells you this is something you've always known.
Conclusion of the Commentaries in "Appendix II: The Religion of Dune"
On war
Atrocity is recognized as such by victim and predator alike, by all who learn about it at whatever remove. Atrocity has no excuses, no mitigating argument. Atrocity never balances or rectifies the past. Atrocity merely arms the future for more atrocity. It is self-perpetuating upon itself — a barbarous form of incest. Whoever commits atrocity also commits those future atrocities thus bred.
The Apocrypha of Muad'Dib

Daggnammit but I love those books...
[edit] I promise to leave Dune quotes alone from now on but just one more...

On New Labour
Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
The Stolen Journals
:D
[/edit]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom