Favourite celebrity chef?

Soldato
I admire Jamie Oliver as he tries to make cooking easier and more relatable I guess.

But I'm sure he has shares in olive oil due to the amounts he coats most recipes in!

If Jamie Oliver has shares in Olive Oil, then Ottolenghi must own the farm, the bottling plant, the logistical company and the supermarkets!

Caporegime
I admire Jamie Oliver as he tries to make cooking easier and more relatable I guess.

But I'm sure he has shares in olive oil due to the amounts he coats most recipes in!

I admire his work in improving school meals and his enthusiasm but his dishes…it’s okay. May be it is intentionally designed for beginners, I mean I did get them years ago, Michelin star stuff they are not. But still, uses far too much lemon.

Soldato
I'll give it to two chefs for the best food I have ever eaten ... Marcus Wareing and the not-so-well-known Simon Rogan (but he has been on the box). Can't really split them but both quite different. 6 course Wareing dinner vs 10 course Rogan lunch, both perfect. Never tasted anything before or since as good.

Soldato
Wareing and Roux Jr come across really well on TV as very professional and compassionate not about pulling people down. I like Jamie Oliver as people have said he tries to make good food easy and fun. Rick Stein is my current favourite having watched him for so many years he comes across as very authentic. He's plainly had an interesting life.

Soldato
That’s a very insulting post about someone you don’t even know.
Yes, yes it is.... but that is how he comes across to me, and as a presenter, how he presents himself to an audience is pretty key.

I'm sure he's absolutely lovely in person, in the same way Jeremy Clarkson (who I do know to some extent) is actually a real gentleman when not playing his 'arrogant childishly racist idiot' persona on camera... but on TV, Rick Stein just seems like a prize bell-end. Keith Floyd at least had some charm, character and genuine eccentricity that made his alcoholism and harrumphing wittery comparatively tolerable... whereas Stein appears to me more like a Floyd knock-off conceived by someone who's not even seen the original.

Soldato
Never met Rick stein. But he is prepared to lend his name to a restaurant chain that I feel is overpriced and substandard. He immediately loses marks there.

Like Michael roux junior, also like Nigel Slater as a cookery writer.

Soldato
These things happen on live TV. He brought it back like a champ and recovered.

He is an an excellent chef. Probably just nervous with live TV as most of his stuff is pre-recorded.

Soldato
I really like Cyrus Todiwala. He's good to watch on TV and is a really nice chap face to face.

Michel Roux Jr always seemed like a bit of a stuck up so and so on TV but face to face he's much more relaxed than I was expecting. Maybe because each time I've met him I've been dropping £££ at Le Gavroche.

I think my favourite though is Massimo Bottura.

Soldato
I like Rick Stein as a travel documentary maker with added recipes I ignore completely; he has a bit of Michael Palin's awkwardness which seems to work well with folk he's interviewing. But I too am of the Keith Floyd generation; he's just entertaining, full stop. Wish he was still around and had a Twitter account!

The only cook whose food I take any interest in is James Martin. Proper food for normal people, usually. Still haven't worked out how he got to be so wealthy though! There must be more money in cook books than I suspected. :)

Back
Top Bottom