Fears Sadiq Khan will bring in pay-per-mile road taxes after spending £3m on project

Soldato
The current insane levels of taxation faced by motorists were justified on the basis that it would punish pollution and encourage the use of greener technologies. To then continue extracting the same level of revenue from motorists after they have switched to greener vehicles is entirely unfair.

Yes there will be a hole in the countries finances but that’s because motorists have been demonised and used as a cash cow for years. They need to find another source of income instead of expecting motorists to continue to fund the country.

People need to realise that ranting on the internet isn't going to do it these days. Need to fight for what they need as a basic purpose in life . We need transport for work, if you have no transport , how is a person going to go to work, public transport is a sham in most part of the country. So people rely on cars. Taxing and forcing people in to electric vehicles is a shoddy idea, I'm well against anything to do with ulez. But until people start making a stand for beliefs anymore they will continue to bend you over.

Same with fuel .it's going up again .I have seen daily rises in the last 3-4 days. People just accept it

Last edited:
Soldato
Mileage based makes more sense to me. My Mondeo ST220 costs £415 a year to tax & does about 800 miles a year, so about 52p a mile in VED. Whereas my Jaguar XE costs £35 a year & I cover about 10k miles in it, 0.35p per mile.

My Mondeo should be costing me £2.80 a year to tax!

(I am semi joking)

Soldato
OA1kCD9.png
:cry: :cry:

Soldato
The current insane levels of taxation faced by motorists were justified on the basis that it would punish pollution and encourage the use of greener technologies. To then continue extracting the same level of revenue from motorists after they have switched to greener vehicles is entirely unfair.

Yes there will be a hole in the countries finances but that’s because motorists have been demonised and used as a cash cow for years. They need to find another source of income instead of expecting motorists to continue to fund the country.
The number of cars on uk roads is still growing at a rate greater than the population so they are clearly too cheap to buy and too cheap to run. People willl only give up cars if they are unafordable and what ever powers them the environmental impact of making, running and disposing of cars is huge so we need to ween people off them. Kind of like cigarettes which we have almost priced to extinction!

Associate
OP
The number of cars on uk roads is still growing at a rate greater than the population so they are clearly too cheap to buy and too cheap to run. People willl only give up cars if they are unafordable and what ever powers them the environmental impact of making, running and disposing of cars is huge so we need to ween people off them. Kind of like cigarettes which we have almost priced to extinction!

Too cheap for which social group?

Man of Honour

They should make other forms of transport more convenient and useful not try and penalise people taking the best, sometime only realistic, option for them... that is really a head up arse way to try and effect change.

I know a lot of people who don't want to be driving, can't really afford to be driving but modern life leaves them no choice as they can only afford to live some miles from where they work and with ever reducing public transport options at that - we nearly lost the only major bus through where I live this year despite it being a major lifeline for older people and critical for students who live in the area and there is a big chance it won't survive next year as the council probably won't be able to afford the subsidiary. From here there are no real options for walking or cycling, not without taking your life in your hands anyway.

Man of Honour
I really hate the approach of taxing everything into oblivion to stop people doing something. In this country it's always a stick to change people's behaviours. We shouldn't be making things too expensive. We shouldn't be limiting people's freedoms. Instead we should be making other options cheaper and incentivise them. If bus and rail was much cheaper, more reliable and covered more areas then people would want to use those instead. Here's an example:

I regularly need to get from Surrey to York and back a day later. The car and train take similar times once I've got into London to get to King s Cross. But the car is significantly cheaper. My petrol cost for my Mini Cooper 1.5L is about £60 for the return trip. The train is about £120 to £140 by the time I get into London then another train to York, and the tickets are non-refundable if my plans change. I actually prefer using the train but it's less convenient, less flexible and more expensive. If the train was at least a comparable cost then I would use it more often. In your example you would double to cost of my trip to force me onto the train.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My wife and I both work around Hammersmith / South Kensington, she has a parking spot at work so we drive in every day and she drops me off. This costs us approx. £12 a day. If we were to take a train and public transport, that cost would be £80 per day.

Add in delays, cancelled trains, strikes, etc and you can very quickly see why I loathe our public transport system as much as I do.

For payment, just stick it in the price of fuel, like many other countries already have in place. That being said, this is the UK so they'll add it in to that cost and still keep the other costs we already pay.

Honestly I'm looking more and more abroad, I wouldn't be surprised if we emigrating in the next few years, this country has been circling the drain for years.

Soldato
He talks sense, where do we sign up?

What is the problem with ULEZ? We have this scheme in Sheffield and nobody I know has to pay anything and the air is now cleaner.
It turned from a well meaning clean air policy in the centre of london that addressed pollution, to a cash grab.. the impact on pollution in the expanded zones will only have a marginal effect not to mention it's already within accepted levels of pollution.. The issue is it now affects far more people on far lower incomes which seems hugely disproportionate, hence termed a 'cash grab'..

You guys n girls in London keep voting him in. If you let him have another term it's you own fault.
We are talking a city that voted BoJo in as mayor for 8 years... With SK being such a political toad as well, I suspect London is lost to the crass political marketing shenanigans that the US is blighted with..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom