Feek's Friday Beer, gin (and whatever you happen to be drinking on a Friday night) Thread

Associate
First of the night is Daintree Mangoo Smootie IPA and its absolutely spot on, bitter tropical and citrusy. Looks like a glass of Fanta! Will be having this again.

UEIDro0.jpg
Very nice had a couple of them in the week, quite refreshing and smooth.Two was enough mid week though at 7%

Man of Honour
This is more than slightly off thread, forgive me.
I was going through the archives of a local London forum Friday afternoon, and a thread I saw was about “what was the first pub you went in.”
One guy mentioned “The Barnaby”, now closed, in Bermondsey.
He said that it was the first pub that he went into, and bought a pint with a pound coin!
I can’t be ***** to Google when they came out, but buying a pint with a pound sounds like a million years ago.

Soldato
He said that it was the first pub that he went into, and bought a pint with a pound coin!
I can’t be ***** to Google when they came out, but buying a pint with a pound sounds like a million years ago.
Am guessing it would not really be that long ago as the tax on alcohol & cigarettes have gone up by crazy prices to try stop people drinking & smoking

Man of Honour
Am guessing it would not really be that long ago as the tax on alcohol & cigarettes have gone up by crazy prices to try stop people drinking & smoking

My wife just Googled it, she said that draught lager was FOURTEEN pence
per pint in 1973, Guinness 19p, and a litre of low sulphur diesel, 0.08p!
I don’t drink beer, but I vaguely remember in the early sixties, a measure
of scotch in a pub near Bath, Somerset, costing around 2 shillings, or 20p!
Couldn’t swear to that, memory is not what it was.
I switched to vodka on holiday in Poland 1974, scotch being expensive there,
vodka was the equivalent of 4p a shot in Poznań, but when we hit the bright
lights of Warszawa it went up to 5p!

Soldato
My wife just Googled it, she said that draught lager was FOURTEEN pence
per pint in 1973, Guinness 19p, and a litre of low sulphur diesel, 0.08p!
I don’t drink beer, but I vaguely remember in the early sixties, a measure
of scotch in a pub near Bath, Somerset, costing around 2 shillings, or 20p!
Couldn’t swear to that, memory is not what it was.
I switched to vodka on holiday in Poland 1974, scotch being expensive there,
vodka was the equivalent of 4p a shot in Poznań, but when we hit the bright
lights of Warszawa it went up to 5p!
I maybe completely wrong but I think I remember paying around £1.20 per pint and 70 pence per half pint somewhere between the years of 2000 to 2006

Soldato
Pound a pint was easily achievable even in Zone 1 London when I started university back in 2002 (albeit in studenty places). By the time I graduated in 2008, prices had more than tripled.

EDIT: There was uproar in our hall of residence bar when the beer went from £1.30 to £1.40 a pint!

Soldato
Pound a pint was easily achievable even in Zone 1 London when I started university back in 2002 (albeit in studenty places). By the time I graduated in 2008, prices had more than tripled.
That's more in keeping with my experience - upon turning 18 I remember zone 4/5 had pints for £2 but people were starting to complain about hitting £3 in central London. That would've been 2005/6. It's got a lot worse since!

Soldato
On the fruit lambic tonight, very tasty

20190817-181722.jpg

Back
Top Bottom