Feek's macOS useful tools, utilities and applications thread

Soldato
PathFinder is pretty good. It also gives you copy performance - this is copying to my NAS for example. You can switch it between 1000 and 1024 too!

2021-12-23PathFinder.jpg

Man of Honour
This is how iStat Menus looks for monitoring the network, you can click on it and it has a drop down to show you which adaptor and process is using the links.

Screenshot-2021-12-23-at-17-29-09.png

Si.

Si.

Soldato
PathFinder is pretty good. It also gives you copy performance - this is copying to my NAS for example. You can switch it between 1000 and 1024 too!

2021-12-23PathFinder.jpg

I installed Pathfinder but it doesn't show me the copy speed.. is there a setting somewhere I need to enable for this?

Soldato
I use PathFinder. Supports tabs, multiple windows, file copy performance and stuff. I quite like it but I don't think it's as nice to use as explorer.

I can't find anything in settings to enable it I don't think?? Just appears in the top right.

Last edited:
Associate
I use PathFinder. Supports tabs, multiple windows, file copy performance and stuff. I quite like it but I don't think it's as nice to use as explorer.

I can't find anything in settings to enable it I don't think?? Just appears in the top right.

You tried the new version, where they've moved to a subscription model now? Trying to decide whether I "power use" it enough to upgrade and am still very much in the contemplation phase. Fantastical/Flexibits was definitely worth the change for me, but not sure here.

Soldato
You tried the new version, where they've moved to a subscription model now? Trying to decide whether I "power use" it enough to upgrade and am still very much in the contemplation phase. Fantastical/Flexibits was definitely worth the change for me, but not sure here.

I have SetApp for next to nothing via Uni, and it comes as part of that. I'm doubtful I'd pay a subscription specifically for Pathfinder tbh.

Soldato
Didn't seem worth making a new thread, but what do people use for note taking on a Mac? I like Onenote as a concept but the lack of being able to make a true backup of the notes has worried me for years. Is there anything out there which people use?

Thanks for any help

Soldato
Didn't seem worth making a new thread, but what do people use for note taking on a Mac? I like Onenote as a concept but the lack of being able to make a true backup of the notes has worried me for years. Is there anything out there which people use?

Thanks for any help
I've been using Bear for my notes, as I like the structured tagging you can see (creating trees of tags, and can have several tags per note). It's a markdown text editor, though a huge 2.0 upgrade is currently in the works to make it a nicer experience, things like hiding all the markdown when not editing notes etc. If I need something quickly I'll just use Notes.app and then transfer in the future if it's worth keeping.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Can you? How do you do this? I've not usually that precious about backing things up but my Onenote had about 15 years of notes..:)

OneNote usually saves into MyDocuments on PC, not sure about Mac. You also have the option on the file menu to export to a OneNote archive which is a single file with all data.

Back
Top Bottom