Feminism spin-off.

Soldato
Because the trans thread has remained on-topic for 22 pages and it would be a shame to derail it, I'm posting my reply to Colonel Klinck here, if they want to debate it. Not trying to back-seat mod, but the trans thread is really important to me so I hope the tangent can respectfully be shifted here.

Really? Yeah this is off topic but you have a strong distaste for feminism? I consider my myself a feminist, why would anyone not be feminist? It is simply about women having equality in society. Perhaps it is some extremist feminism you are referring to? Massive generalisations like that aren't really helpful.

This is off-topic, but the reason is because that last one is no longer true. I finally gave up describing myself as a feminist about three years ago when I had to concede we original feminists had lost control of the term and movement. If someone asks me if I'm a feminist today, I'll reply: "yes, if you mean in the old school Equal Opportunity sense, I'm as feminist as they get. But otherwise, no." Modern feminism isn't about women, it's about power. And I'm quoting Stella Creasey, MP and noted British feminist in that. Hell, the Women's Marches in the USA were organized in cooperation with the Nation of Islam - which teaches women should all be home cooking, cleaning and being pregnant. Again, don't be misled by what an organization calls itself. You still get old school feminists like myself. But other than some of the Rad Fems, we've largely stopped describing ourselves as that. Most Conservative and Right Wing people today believe in Equal Opportunity. If that's the criteria then they're all feminists, by your definition!

That bit is a new year joke right??;)
(referring to the last sentence but one in my quote).

No. It's not a joke. Why would it be?

Soldato
I don't think many people realise that feminism now a days is all about power and being better/higher in status than men.
It was derailed awhile ago from the equality standpoint.
I think the terms need to be re-done.
The word Feminism doesn't mean what many people think it means anymore (equal rights/opportunity)
Many movies/tv-shows have been ruined recently because of it or completely changed for no reason (this is due to multiple factors not just modern feminism)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I don't think many people realise that feminism now a days is all about power and being better/higher in status than men.
It was derailed awhile ago from the equality standpoint.

Because, in the West, it largely won and people who support the original goals of feminism are now called... people. There are still valid feminist issues. Ironically they're often ones modern feminism typically isn't much interested in.

But what really prompted my response was when CK said feminism was about equality of opportunity and I replied that Conservatives and the political Right are strong believers in Equality of Opportunity and does he/she therefore consider them feminists? They asked if I were joking. I'm not. This is the reality and it seems odd to me that someone doesn't see that.

Soldato
A very low proportion (7% according to one survey in 2016) of people in the UK identify as feminists.

The movement has been hijacked, and is now working against the interests of the vast majority of women.

Soldato
OP
Shouldn't this be discussed in the kitchen so the women can see it ?

If you were a real man, you'd earn enough for her to have a laptop so she could.

Greed/lust. To be fair though men have historically taken advantage of women - well some men have - with no fear of consequence, so the movement started valid now it's just headed toward androdynousness[sic].

Chris's Tarrant. ''We were less respectful of women...'.

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-...BRAB&usg=AOvVaw2Qv2CWXvBerMnU0mgCm0H3&ampcf=1

The movement was valid for that and numerous other reasons - property rights, the right to vote (although working class men also didn't get the vote which should be remembered), divorce and inheritance laws. And some of the same things that were issues back then are issues still today (like sexual assault). But all of these rights are widely supported in the West as human rights. You don't need to be a feminist to support them. You would have been once but that's my point - the modern Feminist movement isn't about those things anymore. They still come up, certainly. But they come up for non-feminists, too. Feminism has become something that is demonstrably no longer about equality. And that's why only a small number of people identify as feminists these days and of those, I'd say a proportion are those who simply think it's still old school Equal Opportunity, Equal Rights feminism.

Soldato
That's because they won those rights. A bit likel Corbyn and other politicians, they're still stuck in the 60's/70's fighting for whatever they fought for back then. So New Labour did actually make most of the changes people were complaining about etc and Corbyn is scratching his head now.

All it goes to show is that Corbyn was a phony all along, jumping on the bandwagon, he never had a genuine cause to fight.

Man of Honour
Can I please check I am understanding this: we have an almost exclusively male forum discussing the nature of Femanism, and they are convinced that they know this better than women? Does the expression "Mansplaining" have any resonance? What about old-fashioned irony?

Man of Honour
Can I please check I am understanding this: we have an almost exclusively male forum discussing the nature of Femanism, and they are convinced that they know this better than women? Does the expression "Mansplaining" have any resonance? What about old-fashioned irony?
Are you dismissing the opinions of almost half the population as less relevant than the other half? Isn't that quite a sexist position to take?

Soldato
OP

Feminist is not the same as women. You get plenty of male feminists. And plenty of women who don't consider themselves feminist. And if you're adamant that there are no women present (how you would know, I don't know), then you can't really claim anyone is "mansplaining", btw!

Caporegime
*Chortle*

Men, be very afraid. Women want to subjugate you all!

What? It’s true.

I am all for equal rights of women, it’s disgusting to treat anyone different whatever sex they are or skin colour they are, but the movement has been hijacked and it’s clear to see the aim is now to be better than men.

Back
Top Bottom