Ferdinand in midfield for England

Soldato
WHY??? WHY ??? England have plenty of midfielders for pity sake. Why would they need to play a central defender in midfield? It's bad enough Ferguson is doing it, but he forced his own hand into doing it.

Soldato
i just hope ferdinands CB spot in the england lineup isn't under threat should ferguson continue to occasionally play him in midfield. Just push rooney back to midfield and play saha up with RvN, and ferdinand in defence, better solution imo.

Man of Honour
I think the logic behind this is that England have an excess of top drawer centrehalves and unless we change formation more significantly (i.e. a 3-5-2 with Cole and SWP at wingback) we can only fit two in the team at once.

However, while I think Rio could be capable of filling a holding role in midfield given enough practice, in general I'm not a fan of playing players out of position unless I can help it. Given that Campbell and Woodgate are injured anyway, for the upcoming games, Carrick or Parker might be better options.

If Rio can get enough games in midfield between now and June, then fair enough, maybe he would be an option to use in some fixtures.

Soldato
The sooner we get rid of Sven the beter, his managerial decisions get worse game by game.
I could list a whole load of English players I would play in that role before choosing Ferdinand.
I still think we should just keep Gerrard and Lamps in their. Get us a few more goals anyway.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
he knows he is going in the summer so he doesn't care :mad:

i think he is only doing this to mess things up for us

Soldato
He did the same with Ledley King and that worked great, so I don't think it's a completely ridiculous idea to consider.

That said, why not try Scott Parker who, you know, actually plays in that position? Or Carrick? Or just King, who's played there for both Spurs and England already and is more used to the role than Rio.

Man of Honour
PinkFloyd said:
I still think we should just keep Gerrard and Lamps in their. Get us a few more goals anyway.

The suggestion isn't that either of those would be dropped, just that England would revert to the diamond formation vs certain opponents, with a holding midfielder in behind Lampard, Gerrard and Beckham.

Caporegime
Weebull said:
He did the same with Ledley King and that worked great, so I don't think it's a completely ridiculous idea to consider.

That said, why not try Scott Parker who, you know, actually plays in that position? Or Carrick? Or just King, who's played there for both Spurs and England already and is more used to the role than Rio.
It's because Sven WILL NOT DROP his big name players. He's so in love with players like Owen, Rooney, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand and Campbell that he would never dream about dropping them whatever their form is like. He's already said as much about Beckham. He's never going to give players like Parker or Carrick a real chance unless one of the big name players gets injured. IMO, he would rather play players in unfamiliar positions than drop them.

Soldato
Pigeon_Killer said:
It's because Sven WILL NOT DROP his big name players. He's so in love with players like Owen, Rooney, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand and Campbell that he would never dream about dropping them whatever their form is like. He's already said as much about Beckham. He's never going to give players like Parker or Carrick a real chance unless one of the big name players gets injured. IMO, he would rather play players in unfamiliar positions than drop them.

Abosultely. Seems Fergie is going the same way mind.

Permabanned
Pigeon_Killer said:

This is why we wont win the World Cup in Germany, mix it up with good players that wont be marked out of the game, if Greece can do it with average players, we can.

Plus we have too many, "pass the ball to me, look what i just did" players

Soldato
I cant see why Scott Parker is constantly overlooked for England.
He bosses Newcastles midfield and has consitently performed for us.

Sven picks Jenas and Dyer whenever they are fit , Parker has done more this season than the two of them have ever done.

Soldato
Daft move.
The best ive seen England play is when Lampard was on his own without Gerrard, and King was playing the holding role. It just seemed to 'work'.
But alas, Sven would get critisised if he didnt play Gerrard. :o

Soldato
we need a holding role in the team for it to work

it was plain to see for everyone when we had king and lampard.

what would work are:

king/lampard
king/gerrard
parker/lampard
parker/gerrard
carrick/lampard
carrick/gerrard

why sven hasnt tried parker or carrick in the holding role i dont know

Back
Top Bottom