Fibre Termination query

Caporegime
I think I paid about £400 a few years ago to have 24 terminations done across three patch panels, including the supply of the patch panels and pigtails and providing OTDR test results. No idea if that's in line with any sort of going rate but it seemed reasonable to me.

Soldato
OP
I think I paid about £400 a few years ago to have 24 terminations done across three patch panels, including the supply of the patch panels and pigtails and providing OTDR test results. No idea if that's in line with any sort of going rate but it seemed reasonable to me.
Thanks, sounds decent value tbh, for my small job I'd only need 8 terminations , trying to determine whether it's worth just purchasing pre-terminated armoured as the run will be going in a trench , for 140 metres it's circa £500 though.

Caporegime
On the plus side you can coil quite a lot of fibre in a small space. If you don't trust your fibre handling abilities then install tubing and get someone to blow the fibre in and do the termination.

Soldato
OP
On the plus side you can coil quite a lot of fibre in a small space. If you don't trust your fibre handling abilities then install tubing and get someone to blow the fibre in and do the termination.
Will be going in a trench within conduit , just really terminating I need , interestingly it's for robotic/automated milking parlour + cameras + devices .

Don
Ha, the fibre guy we use was telling me that recently he installed fibre in a milking parlor. He said it was a 48 port patch panel, almost every one was used!

Caporegime
Just make sure you have a nice sealed cabinet for all the gear so that you can hose the place down and the feed dust doesn't get everywhere

Soldato
You want an independent contractor, really any commercial company will be over £500 a day with some travel +VAT.

Youll find contractors will charge a couple of hundred, I'd expect ~£60 for termination materials maybe a little bit more. Pre-terms can be a pain in the ass, all holes need to be bigger to route the cable and connectors through.

Soldato
OP
You want an independent contractor, really any commercial company will be over £500 a day with some travel +VAT.

Youll find contractors will charge a couple of hundred, I'd expect ~£60 for termination materials maybe a little bit more. Pre-terms can be a pain in the ass, all holes need to be bigger to route the cable and connectors through.
Yes independent contractor was what I was thinking , for that cost it would work.

Don
We keep thinking about buying a Fibre splicer, tester and the rest of the equipment at work, but the pricing and limited availability of them keep putting us off.

We've run both pre-terminated, and have a contractor terminate fibre on site, but honestly preterminated has never been a problem.

The reels we get pre-terminated have decent protective pulling socks. Always measure roughly with a measuring wheel + rough heights e.g. up/down and then add 20m, the extra is easily coiled in man-holes, the ceiling or anywhere else.

Soldato
We keep thinking about buying a Fibre splicer, tester and the rest of the equipment at work, but the pricing and limited availability of them keep putting us off.

We've run both pre-terminated, and have a contractor terminate fibre on site, but honestly preterminated has never been a problem.

The reels we get pre-terminated have decent protective pulling socks. Always measure roughly with a measuring wheel + rough heights e.g. up/down and then add 20m, the extra is easily coiled in man-holes, the ceiling or anywhere else.

I used a fibre splicer at my old place. Ryuken or something along those lines. Flipping fiddly thing to use it was, no matter how much spare fibre you gave yourself it was always a PITA to get the splicer into the right place, often balancing it on things whilst trying to get the fibres in.
Another place I spoke to use some kind of cold splice, they were primarily events so temp fibre runs regularly, that sounded brilliant but I didn't get to look at or try one.

Soldato

Limited availability?! They're on a next day :p
I used a fibre splicer at my old place. Ryuken or something along those lines. Flipping fiddly thing to use it was, no matter how much spare fibre you gave yourself it was always a PITA to get the splicer into the right place, often balancing it on things whilst trying to get the fibres in.
Another place I spoke to use some kind of cold splice, they were primarily events so temp fibre runs regularly, that sounded brilliant but I didn't get to look at or try one.

Cold cure usually has larger losses than fusion splicing

Back
Top Bottom