FIFA World Cup 2018 - Semi-finals [10/11 July] **spoilers**

Caporegime
Unlucky England to lose to Croatia but when you meet a quality side you have to pick up your game ;).

Was a great start by England and first half they bossed Croatia about. But **** me what happened in the second half?? It was like they totally forgot how to play lol.

First Croatian goal was a bit flukey to be honest but second one was sublime by Mandzukic. In all honesty Pickford should have been sent off for wiping out Mandzukic when he was one on one with Pickford. No way did Pickford get any of the ball but karma can bite and next time Mandzukic made certain the ball went in the net.

But either way England or Croatia would get picked apart by France in the final.

Valiant effort lads, made so much easier with an easy run to the semifinals. Just glad it didn’t go to penalties.

Who knows Southgate might get this team to win the WC in 4 yrs time.

Their coach changed things for the second half and we didn't/couldn't adapt. It was always going to be difficult when you had Rakitic and Modric in the middle of the park. Like someone mentioned those two have more medals than the whole England team combined!

Soldato
Just disappointment this morning:/

what could have been eh?

still, they far exceeded all expectations and nobody ever thought in a million years they would get out the group let alone a semi final. Had a brilliant couple of weeks so thankful for that.

just hope everyone stays together as that's the only way we'll improve. They need to gel as a team like they do in the clubs. Just unsure how they will with the pressure of the premier league.

I know it's not the same, but we still have this Saturdays game to play. It's a nice send off for them and the fans.

My biggest worry is that we'll never get an easier run to the final as we've just had. We may never get to a final again.....I mean, how many english players are in the premier league these days?

Soldato
what could have been eh?

still, they far exceeded all expectations and nobody ever thought in a million years they would get out the group let alone a semi final. Had a brilliant couple of weeks so thankful for that.

just hope everyone stays together as that's the only way we'll improve. They need to gel as a team like they do in the clubs. Just unsure how they will with the pressure of the premier league.

I know it's not the same, but we still have this Saturdays game to play. It's a nice send off for them and the fans.

My biggest worry is that we'll never get an easier run to the final as we've just had. We may never get to a final again.....I mean, how many english players are in the premier league these days?

They should go abroad then. Croatia, Belgium, Brazil, France. The best four teams at the tournament. How many of their players play in their native country?

Soldato
what could have been eh?

still, they far exceeded all expectations and nobody ever thought in a million years they would get out the group let alone a semi final.

What? Everyone was saying how easy their group was. It's always an achievement to get to a semi final, however they beat everyone they should have and got beaten by teams which are better (Belgium) and ones who are similar level (Croatia). Columbia was a decent result but that's the only one really.

Soldato
They should go abroad then. Croatia, Belgium, Brazil, France. The best four teams at the tournament. How many of their players play in their native country?

No don't mean it like that. I mean the players need more time playing as England so they can gel. Seems to work well for Iceland.

What? Everyone was saying how easy their group was. It's always an achievement to get to a semi final, however they beat everyone they should have and got beaten by teams which are better (Belgium) and ones who are similar level (Croatia). Columbia was a decent result but that's the only one really.

This is England though

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Southgate should just get them working on nothing but finishing. Seems to be where the team just don't have grasp on the game. If he fixes that we should do alright in the Euros :p

Yeah, to be fair to him he's actually achieved quite a lot

1. The players talk to each other
2. The goalkeeper can make saves
3. We can win on penalties
4. We can score from set pieces

Now we need to focus on shape (and maintaining it), creating chances, clinical passing and finishing.

Question: How many times a year does the England team get together for training?

Soldato
I'd like to see the stats on team with highest number of back passes to the keeper. Surely it must be England. Not sure whether it's been a strategy drilled on the training pitch, or whether its down to some bizarre pessimistic mentality. Whatever the case, it stopped working in the last 25 minutes last night as the defence fell apart.

Caporegime
I'd like to see the stats on team with highest number of back passes to the keeper. Surely it must be England. Not sure whether it's been a strategy drilled on the training pitch, or whether its down to some bizarre pessimistic mentality. Whatever the case, it stopped working in the last 25 minutes last night as the defence fell apart.

I think it was mainly due to the high pressing of Croatia on the keeper to draw them forward to create space up top.

Soldato
I think it was mainly due to the high pressing of Croatia on the keeper to draw them forward to create space up top.
This^

England were forced into long balls from Pickford for the first time in the tournament. Weren't able to reliably start attacks building from the defence. We had trouble creating chances all tournament, but this just made it worse.

Creativity was our weakness. Alli and Lingard, for all their other qualities, don't really offer that. Sterling was the only one here giving them problems, was surprised to see him subbed- perhaps he was tiring.

Back
Top Bottom