Files missing after copying a folder to another HDD via new USB 3.0 card.

Associate
Somewhere, in a field in cheshire... alright!
Hello,

I just installed a new USB 3.0 PCIe expansion card and was keen to see the lightning fast speed but unfortunately it appears no faster than the USB 3.0 on my Mobo. At best it reaches about 120 MB/s.

External HDD's at least stay connected now which is something, but I just copied a 300+ GB folder containing game backups to an external HDD and it appears a significant number of files are missing. The original folder has 164,357 Files, 7,497 Folders and when copied it ends up with 145,075 Files, 7,333 folders.

Does anyone have an idea why this would happen and can it be fixed please?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Associate
OP
I've just compared them with Checksum Compare and there is loads of files missing and also a lot that are different it says.

I tried another large folder and there was a lot of files missing from that. I copied the same folder not using the USB 3.0 expansion card and everything copied fine.

Anyone not think the card is faulty?

Associate
As above, something like the built in robocopy command is generally safer for large transfers and/or a large volume of files.

Associate
OP
The driver installed for the card is VIA USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft) which installed automatically. I have been unable to find another driver for Windows 10.

I'm using an IcyBox USB 3.0 to Sata Interface. I've had no issues when using it with USB 2.0 but it did disconnect sometimes using it with the USB 3.0 on my ageing mobo but I'd put that down to drivers.

How do I check the new card?

Not sure what you mean by new enclosure.

Associate
have you tried TERACOPY .. it gives you a more comprehensive listing of what is going on with your copy and a summary at the end. I suspect that your problem lies in the sheer quantity of files or that there may be security issues. Most files get copied in alpha name order.
I wouldn't think the hardware was faulty as it would be more obvious. drivers maybe ? does the card support uASP which should speed up bulk transfers.
What OS are you using?
ALso your files may not be copied as they already exist on the target medium, As to the speeds via usb3, 120Mb/s sounds ok remember it depends on the speed of both the source and target, a hdd anywhere is going to slow things down..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I sent the USB 3.0 expansion card back and am trying a different make/model. It's unlikely I'd get two faulty ones in a row.

I'm on Windows 10 64. The files are not already on the hdd. It is an old system, is uASP a modern feature?

If I can get 120 mb/s working properly then it'll be a good improvement.

I'll look at TERACOPY when the new card arrives.

Back
Top Bottom