Final Fantasy Nooby - Where should I start?

Associate
Hi there,

I would really, REALLY like to get into this series but good god do I feel alienated from it. Firstly, I dont understand how it can be a final fantasy if theres 13 of them. Secondly, none of the characters are the same in any of them.

Also, it seems the first one I am likely to play is FF7 - which I would need to find my old PS1 for. Do I need to play them in order? Will i have a clue whats going on if not? Which ones are best?

Any help very greatfully appreciated!

There are no order which is best, they are all totally different games. Apart from FFX and X2.

Which are best? Hmmm, most say 7 and 8.... then 10. Though I know a few who dislike 7, and firmlly say that 8 is the best... I personally thought 9 and X2 were the worst though...

A lot of poeple swear by VI as well.

You'd be best picking up a PS2, you could then play them all on it, and of course XII is just around the corner.

You should probably start on 7.
Of course its aged graphically, but the story and materia system are still king :)

To answer a few points, the characters are not the same in any of them (apart from FFX and FFX-2) but there is always a "Cid" somewhere in the plot.

The franchise was originally called Final Fantasy because back in the day Square were not very successful at all and they were on the edge of going under. They had enough cash for one last blast at making a game and so they called it Final Fantasy. Obviously the game sold trillions and they went on to take over the universe :D

I would stay start at the begining of the PS1, so FF VII. For me personaly it's the best game in the series so far, however I like FF VIII the most :p

And I see someone posted why the game series is called Final Fantasy :)

I recently picked up FF chronicles from somewhere for a couple of quid brand new, so my goal is to play all the FF's in order from I through X-2, before XII comes out. Only problem with this is that I'll have to play through the boring fmv fest that is FFX.

7 is generally considered the best (I agree) so maybe you might want to play some of the others first and leave the best for last. I think many people who played 7 when it came out were then dissapointed with 8 because it wasn't quite as good and then they never bothered with any of the others. I have all the single player FF games that have come out in this country (all the main series anyway, not the spin-offs). I like all of them, although 1 and 2 feel more like a history lesson because they are quite dated now (in terms of characters and story, the graphics aren't the same as the original releases).

Yeah FF6 is pretty good, and although not Final Fantasy you could try Chrono Trigger cos the game is amazing :)

Edited to keep it legal - think about what you post.

Otacon

Play VII, VIII & IX on a Playstation (or ps2)
Get a DS and play the GBA versions of I, II, IV (V & VI are coming soon).
Also wait for III for the DS too.
X for the PS2 is pretty good but not great.

punky_munky said:
Get a DS and play the GBA versions of I, II, IV (V & VI are coming soon).
One advantage the PS versions have is some FMV cut scenes. Although for I and II the extra content on the GBA is probably more worthwhile than the pretty but pointless FMVs.

final fantasy addicts say VI was the best.

if you can't decide maybe try Final Fantasy Tactics.

or Maybe try a even better game Dragon Quest series.

Psyk said:
One advantage the PS versions have is some FMV cut scenes. Although for I and II the extra content on the GBA is probably more worthwhile than the pretty but pointless FMVs.

From what I remember they're not even especially pretty - made cheaply and nowhere near as impressive as some of the FFIX FMVs, for instance. To the OP, just try one of the PSOne or PS2 games and see what you think. Not understanding why it's called "Final Fantasy" or why the characters are different between the games doesn't stop you from playing them! All of the stories, except between FFX and FFX - 2 are independant.

Last edited:
aphex said:
Yeah FF6 is pretty good, and although not Final Fantasy you could try Chrono Trigger cos the game is amazing :)

Ahhh, so is it similar in gameplay to Chrono, Secret of Mana, Evermore etc?

All I know is FF is usually listed in most peoples top X games, and I feel like im missing out. I have played the above 3 through (twice in 2 out of the 3 cases) and loved them. So thats pretty good news!

Back
Top Bottom