Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Soldato
IT'S HAPPENING!

Final Fantasy VII remake coming first to PS4.

Release date TBC (Probably 2017 for 20th anniversary)

http://youtu.be/p1OvupaRYCM

Note: Not direct like-for-like remake. Think Advent Children meets FFXIII. Also potentially different battle system.

A little more info from Neogaf. Its the summary of a recent interview basically.

Quick stuff from interviews

-they made multi-release since they would have to cut stuff out if they made it in one game. The detail of the game will be so dense, and you will be able to go to various locations within Midgar that you couldn't go before.
-there will be some stuff that has to be cut, but there will be lots of stuff added. overall volume will be big
-They are working with various companies outside, including CC2
-The battle system is real-time, action feel. The degree of action will be "Dissidia > Kingdom Hearts> FF7 remake" It will be more tactical.
-Although it's action style, it has ATB as well.
-You can control other party members, but you can keep control of just one if you want
-3 party members at a time like the original

-Character model is supervised by Visual Work's director.
-They don't want to go with 100% realism for the characters since it might make it hard to recognize certain characters. So they are going as real as possible, while keeping the character's personality.
-Advent Children model data is over 10 years old so they can't really use it.
-Everything from the trailer (excluding the stuff that was shown from E3 reveal) was real-time. The end scene where Cloud gets off the train, it transitions directly to the gameplay.
-Cloud looking sick is partly due to the lighting. Nojima likes that Cloud looks very sick.
-Cross-dressing is obviously in the game, but Nomura didn't design it yet.
-All the party member's design is renewed like Barret.
-At first they thought of going with AC design of Barret, but decided not to.
-ATB and Limit gauge is there but they are different from the original. ATB turning red is something important.
-Battle tempo will be similar to Dissidia. Battle is done by people who have experience in both Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I will buy this, without a doubt. Loved the game and the era of FF.
However, it's created finally to stabilise their finances and none of the original team are there, so I do not have high hopes for it.
They need to tread carefully since this is arguably the biggest of the their IPs.

If you find new relevant info I will endeavour to keep the OP updated.

Soldato
OP
Don't get me wrong.. I'm willing them to do it well, I'm one of those FFVII is the greatest game ever made types.. I'm just worried and don't trust SE, Everything I loved about FF went wayward with FFX-2..

Certainly reason not to trust them. They're doing this for money, they need it. Also, they care not for their fan base any more.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That's a monumental NOPE from me. Though not sure what i was expecting to be honest.
What a shame.

Might just be me being a grumpy old man but I prefered the old style RPG battle system. I haven't enjoyed any FF game since they changed it to more action oriented combat.

Indeed, XIII and XV, basically.

Last decent proper Final Fantasy was XII, IMO.

Soldato
OP
Demo was kinda awful. If I wasn't going to walk away just on the principle of the sales model alone, then the story changes are enough regardless. I don't know why I am surprised, they were bound to simplify and open up early on for the new gen of short attention spanned gamers, but whatever. Good one SquareEnix..
Now I think i'll go play the original.

Soldato
OP
What's wrong with it. Need more in what you don't like.

There's already mods out there to make the original very pretty graphics wise so a like for like wasn't needed hence its called remake not remastered.

I don't like the combat ill admit that, but then I don't think turned based fully would work in how they are making the world. Classic mode is plenty for me as allows me to sit back and take it all in which Is what I personally want.

The sorry line itself isn't being changed, just expanded on in certain parts and I for one welcome that with open arms.

As with any remake, just go in with it being a completely new game, If you compare it anyway then yes you will always be disappointed, but if you go in as no comparisons and this is all new you may be surprised on how you feel.

As I said, the chaptering of the game and DLC hidden content isn’t a great start, then same as you I hate the combat style, I can’t stand this action platform RPG, what happened to JRPG style? Being a fan that was wanting a polished remaster or remake in the same vein as the original rather than a complete reimagining. I have to go to mods instead of relying on Square Enix to deliver. This remake was the answer to a question nobody asked, but is the most lucrative.

As for story, Cloud already having memories play out rather than thinking he’s Zack. There are no other SOLDIER’s part of Jenova synthesis, they’re just mako “ghosts” and the stupid lab under Midgar from DoC.
Also Sephiroth haunting him from the beginning of the game thus removing the long build till you actually see him.
That’s just from the demo.. Oh and the voice acting is absolutely atrocious, I mean Barret..? Lol!

It’s not for me, and increasingly I find that I generally don’t fit with current generation of games and their development/sales tactics. I’ll not be buying this game but I will continue to love the original and it will still remain as one of my favourite games of all time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom