Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Soldato
OP
Don't get me wrong.. I'm willing them to do it well, I'm one of those FFVII is the greatest game ever made types.. I'm just worried and don't trust SE, Everything I loved about FF went wayward with FFX-2..

Certainly reason not to trust them. They're doing this for money, they need it. Also, they care not for their fan base any more.

Last edited:
Soldato
The story is the part I'm happy for them to play around with a little.

It's all the special little touches and materia system (I'm resigned to the fact ATB won't be in it imo) I want them to keep. Maybe they can look further than just a remaster and aim to give us the same feelings we had once we left Midgar the first time.

Soldato
Does anyone know when the HD remaster (not remake) is being released on PS4?

I've tried googling but it's impossible to find anything now the remake has been announced.

I have seen 16th October given as the release date... which is a lot further away than I thought - Although I think they are focussing on the iOS release this summer

Edit: Looking at THIS video on the playstation youtube account, it says spring 2015 :p

Last edited:
Soldato
The story is the part I'm happy for them to play around with a little.

It's all the special little touches and materia system (I'm resigned to the fact ATB won't be in it imo) I want them to keep. Maybe they can look further than just a remaster and aim to give us the same feelings we had once we left Midgar the first time.

Yup I feel the overall story of FFVII was really good once you fully understood it all - but the delivery was certainly not as good as it could have been.
As a kid playing this, I did not gain a full understanding of the core concepts behind the narrative, but a lot of that was my age.
As an adult, it's quite easy to appreciate just how deep the plot is and what the characters go through - each having very similar emotional barriers to overcome but for different personal reasons.

The materia system is a must have - it was such a huge part of the game. It would not be FFVII without materia

The battle system worked perfectly fine, but if we're all honest it was a very basic system and could do with an overhaul.
For starters, they could find a way to make each character more unique. Sure Barrett is meant to be the tank, red XIII the mage, yuffie the thief, cloud the warrior etc but in reality, with the correctly junctioned materia all characters were identical. I think they should enhance those differences, but then make it so you can switch characters on the fly, in battle. (like ffx?).

Or just change the way materia affects yours stats - they had an effect but it never made any sort of impact really. If you equip 4 magics and 2 summons, that characters attack could be very much hindered.
That way people can still choose who is the mage, the healer, the warrior - but the classes actually existed fully.

The limit break system was great and I'd love that to stay the same.

An interesting point of debate would be whether they change the game breaking mechanics of how you can level up. I'd prefer them not to. FFVII was nowhere near as bad (or good?) as FFVIII for it. But you could still learn all the limit breaks very early on and there were some good AP farming spots to grind out materia so you had 15 cure-alls for every battle, making it a breeze.
I like how you can grind out and make it easy, but choose not to for a low level challenge, or just let it run it's normal course. All of which are fun.

who knows...there is so much to think about but guess we'll just have to see what they do when more info is released over the coming years.

But there are IMO a lot of changes that could benefit the game, but some which could ruin the experience too

Soldato
I'd be happy with a form of the FFX battle system, Recently played the HD one and it was great imo.

Have played the FFXV demo and feel the battle system wasn't upto much, having to concentrate on camera movement and character movement.

I prefer to concentrate on how I'm going to kill these nasty little monsters.

Soldato
One of my hopes is that they leave the Weapons in the game. Maybe make them harder :p I mean Ruby Weapon was an absolute pain the ass... but I would still like to see it in the game and maybe tougher too :)

Soldato
Add in a bonus fight against Sapphire weapon. It got it's head blown off but could easily add it as an extra super hard boss - the cannon stopped it but it wasn't dead, just dormant or something.

For Ultima Weapon - I hope they would make it so after the first encounter you could track it's location! lol.
I hated having to fly around looking for it if you lost sight of it as it was moving around too so you had to get lucky!

Man of Honour
I sometimes forget just how much I liked FFVII. I played VIII first so of course that holds a special place in my heart, but the quality of VII is undeniable. I can't work out which one I prefer.

This just hits me right in the feels.

:o

Soldato
Currently playing through P4G I'd like to wee 'auto' move selection for everyone except cloud in your team. Plus the ability to fast forward battles to reduce time spent grinding. This would help slicken the game up.

I love that feature in the SMT games. In fact, the battle system in general is really good for those - once you learn all the weird spell names!

It's a good job battles are very quick in those games though as there are a lot of them. Some of the larger dungeons in games like Nocturne were insane for random battles.

I think the auto feature is in most rpgs kind of as you can select cursor to memory and just hold the button to repeat a bunch of attacks - but SMT is the only series I know of that actively speed up the battles when you put it into auto mode!

FFXIII battle system got slated, but in reality I'm not entirely sure why so many people were against the battle system picking for you. If an enemy is weak to Ice, you're going to use Ice. So why make the player press 4 buttons to select the Ice spell.
You had to fight or scan enemies for it to pick the right options, which I liked.

FFVII had a major battle flaw IMO that will have to be addressed. Standard attacks were so much better than magic or summons. Did anyone really use any of the Green materia or summons outside of KOTR and Hades?
Attacks and Limit breaks did so much more damage.

They should even the effectiveness of these, and also make boss mights more tactical so you have to use certain abilities and strategies.
They had some instances such as the Bottomswell fight where you had to use magic on the bubble to prevent health drain.
Or the wutai section where you're stuff was stolen and you had to proceed without your crutch cure-all spells for a while.

More of that!

Soldato
Yeah - but not since they patched it. Hard to really form a full opinion on the demo due to the horrible framerates but I enjoyed the more fluid enemy encounters and the battle system. It does seem somewhat simplistic though and could do with some fleshing out for the full game.

I did enjoy what I played though - might try it again after the patch to see what's changed

Soldato
Yeah camera needs sorting like - and movement of the main character seemed a bit slow too at times. Plus they had no really cool abilities, skills, magic etc. So it needs plenty work.

I never bothered with the warping - found it to be a useless mechanic. Added nothing to the gameplay at all so just ignored it

Back
Top Bottom