Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (PS4)

Soldato
OP
If it's beautiful then why does it need a remake/remaster?

XII, IMO, was begging for a remaster for some time. But IX, that's a different story - I've got it downloaded on Steam and it still looks stunning today. It hasn't aged badly at all, neither have VIII for that matter.

VII, still being my favourite of the series, looks abysmal however and the fact it's getting a fully fledged remake is nothing but a good thing. I replay VII a couple of times a year for nostalgia purposes but it's hard to deny it looks rough (if not charming). IX doesn't suffer from that, I find.

Soldato
You're pulling a straw-man fallacy on me - I never suggested it was anything like your analogy at all. I even said it was a "general" rule of thumb, something I have noted through the years of talking to friends and online folk whom are fans of the series. I concede that it won't apply to everyone, as I mentioned, it's a general rule that I have found to be true.

You've even said it yourself that XII was misunderstood - it stands to reason that it's because it's so vastly different to the big (non online) Final Fantasy that happened to precede it - i.e. X.

With that being said I'm hoping I do fall for this game this time round.
A 'general rule of thumb' would mean something is usually true. Which is not the case here. People who like both are not rare exceptions.

I wish Enix would stop remaking crap FF's like 12 and remake the most beautiful game ever made in Final Fantasy 9..The art style, music, character interaction is stunning.
It's not a remake, it's a remaster. And FF9 got that treatment very recently for mobile and PC.

Soldato
OP
Associate
If it's beautiful then why does it need a remake/remaster?

XII, IMO, was begging for a remaster for some time. But IX, that's a different story - I've got it downloaded on Steam and it still looks stunning today. It hasn't aged badly at all, neither have VIII for that matter.

VII, still being my favourite of the series, looks abysmal however and the fact it's getting a fully fledged remake is nothing but a good thing. I replay VII a couple of times a year for nostalgia purposes but it's hard to deny it looks rough (if not charming). IX doesn't suffer from that, I find.

it's not about whether it's aged well or not it's experiencing the game without the restrictions of the engine and seeing the game in a different way. I don't game on PC so can't speak for the steam version. I think FF9's a superior game to 7 myself with a more engaging story and would love to see time spent on that rather than 12. I thought 12 was terrible.

7 hasn't aged well at all, and it's honestly hard to play on PS4 textures are too blurred so I do welcome the 7 remake. I will always hold the original 9 as the greatest game I've ever played but would be amazing to see it with the PS4's hardware.

Soldato
OP
Ah, so you mean a remake. The distinction is important.

VIII will get a remake first if I were a betting man, that's where my money will go.

If it's taken this long for VII to get one however I can't ever see any of the others getting a fully fleshed out remake, at all.

Associate
Yeah, sorry should have clarified. Yeah that's my fears. I personally even doubt it would get one at this rate. I'm watching some Steam game play in 1080 and it looks stunning. I'd die happy with that on the PS4 to be honest, not sure why they didn't bring it on the system.

Associate
Ah, so you mean a remake. The distinction is important.

VIII will get a remake first if I were a betting man, that's where my money will go.

If it's taken this long for VII to get one however I can't ever see any of the others getting a fully fleshed out remake, at all.

I would quite welcome a remaster of 8.

I would also quite welcome FF games where the main protagonist's voice and mannerisms isn't modeled on American surfer/springbreaker stereotypes.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, sorry should have clarified. Yeah that's my fears. I personally even doubt it would get one at this rate. I'm watching some Steam game play in 1080 and it looks stunning. I'd die happy with that on the PS4 to be honest, not sure why they didn't bring it on the system.

One can't be far off, I don't understand why they don't try harder to get the older games on the new systems. Seems like easy margin to me, it's not like SE is a small company - set aside a small studio to work on it. The fans want it, it would make them money - get on with it!

I would quite welcome a remaster of 8.

I would also quite welcome FF games where the main protagonist's voice and mannerisms isn't modeled on American surfer/springbreaker stereotypes.

Ugh, I can't stand the recent games voice overs. I played through and completed Uncharted 4 recently and adored that game/experience. Then I watched a trailer for something Square Enix related, and my God it is pure cringe in comparison.

For example, watch this for Worlds of Final Fantasy;

Breaks my heart! :(

Looks good though.

Last edited:
Associate
Am i the only one that feels ff8 is the best final fantasy game? :p

Yes ;)

I personally never got an attachment to 8 It didn't engage me like 9, 10. Quite a lot of people like 8 though and rate it above the others.

I would like to play it again though as I might think differently of it. I did like 8 more than. 7 though. I personally feel 7 is a ok FF but it's popularity is mainly because it was the first 3D Final Fantasy game IMO

Soldato
I normally find people grow attached to which ever was their first. I'm attached to number 7, but rate 9 up there with it. 8 and 10 are still amazing though.. then Enix happened and we got the first true sequel in a final fantasy game and it sucked imo, rapidly down hill from there.

Associate
Yeah exactly that. A lot of the magic from Squaresoft is completely gone. Final Fantasy 15 looks incredible though and while that magic prob won't be there I'm expecting a fantastic game.

X-2 was awful but I really liked the battle system it felt like a hybrid of the old style with the current FF system. I prefer turn based every time.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The battle system in X-2 was so overlooked, I thought it flowed really well and I loved the fact it had a Game+ mode which for me was a first in any game (at the time), so I got to keep all my sphere grids.. If memory serves.

I normally find people grow attached to which ever was their first. I'm attached to number 7, but rate 9 up there with it. 8 and 10 are still amazing though.. then Enix happened and we got the first true sequel in a final fantasy game and it sucked imo, rapidly down hill from there.

That certainly holds true for me, playing VII first it is by far my favourite (and I do love a lot of the others, VIII and IX notably), I consider them sheer perfection even when I know that they are not.

Associate
I normally find people grow attached to which ever was their first.

Many people say that. I've never noticed it though and I hear it much more from people who have never played any of them. I like 7+8 for the game mechanics and the story in 7. The card game alone in 8 was better than half the dross released on PS and Nintendo at that time :D

Soldato
Many people say that. I've never noticed it though and I hear it much more from people who have never played any of them. I like 7+8 for the game mechanics and the story in 7. The card game alone in 8 was better than half the dross released on PS and Nintendo at that time :D

You need to stop talking to people who have never played a final fantasy :p

That moment you realise Midgar was a small part of the game :D

Back
Top Bottom