Finally, we're getting FTTP, woo-hoo!

Soldato
Got a card through the door saying our street is now FTTP worthy. So a basic question first, where does the necessary cabling initially route from? The street is typical with standard telegraph poles with normal phone spider web cables going to each house, is the fibre run along the same up in the air route to the poles, or does it run completely separate, or underground? Not seen anyone doing any work outside prior to the card to be honest, though maybe its a five minute job for them? Currently with Virgin, with the cable coming underground from the road. I remember when they installed Virgin they put another phone point above the BT one and I think physically disabled the BT point, so don;t know if that will be relevant to an install. I know basically nothing about FTTP. I only know a bit about FTTC as my dad has that, and it all uses normal phone lines. Is FTTP remotely similar in any way as regards how it initially gets to your house from a pole or whatever? I see all you guys giving live updates about your FTTP installs, what do they actually do on the day?

Associate
Got a card through the door saying our street is now FTTP worthy. So a basic question first, where does the necessary cabling initially route from? The street is typical with standard telegraph poles with normal phone spider web cables going to each house, is the fibre run along the same up in the air route to the poles, or does it run completely separate, or underground? Not seen anyone doing any work outside prior to the card to be honest, though maybe its a five minute job for them? Currently with Virgin, with the cable coming underground from the road. I remember when they installed Virgin they put another phone point above the BT one and I think physically disabled the BT point, so don;t know if that will be relevant to an install. I know basically nothing about FTTP. I only know a bit about FTTC as my dad has that, and it all uses normal phone lines. Is FTTP remotely similar in any way as regards how it initially gets to your house from a pole or whatever? I see all you guys giving live updates about your FTTP installs, what do they actually do on the day?
@Bubo this is a fairly decent summary of what to expect - https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/full-fibre-broadband-installation-checklist

Commissario
OP
So a basic question first, where does the necessary cabling initially route from? The street is typical with standard telegraph poles with normal phone spider web cables going to each house, is the fibre run along the same up in the air route to the poles, or does it run completely separate, or underground? Not seen anyone doing any work outside prior to the card to be honest, though maybe its a five minute job for them?
If your phone line comes in from an overhead telegraph pole then the FTTP will come in the same way. This is what he did here:

Inside the house.
Cut the copper about six inches from the master socket.
Fitted the ONT (which is the box inside) exactly where I wanted it, fed the fibre out through the same hole the copper had come in.
Tacked the fibre nicely where the copper had been.

Outside the house.
Climbed the pole, attached the fibre and dragged it over to my house. He loosely attached it to the bracket thing at the top.
He then spliced the two ends together and we tested it.
Then he tidied the two lengths of fibre, tacked them to the wall, tested all again.
Fitted the splice box, trimmed the fibres so they were the right length, respliced and tested.
Removed the old copper from the house to the telegraph pole.
Wound the slack fibres into the space space in the splice box.

Inside the house.
Fitted a blanking plate in the old master socket.

General tidying up. He didn't leave any waste or mess anywhere.

Total time was about 2 1/2 hours.

Soldato
Mine didn't touch any of the copper
Or master socket inside the house at all
Not that I was bothered
So that bit may depend on individual engineer

But yeah I believe where they can
They now recycle the old copper wire

Also no mess left with mine
He had a little hand held battery vacuum

Associate
I was signed up with BT or OR (can't remember) and got an email when the street went live. This surprised me as I knew Lit Fibre had been cabling up the street but not OR. OR beat LF by about 10 days. Virgin then did us about a month later, talk about London Busses :D

Commissario
OP
My speed's gone up since it was put in.

ZuPZLQJ.png

Back
Top Bottom