Fire risks prompt tumble dryer recall - Now washing machines as well!

Soldato
Can I just add that when all these products were manufactured at the Creda/Hotpoint/Ariston/Indesit factory in Blythe Bridge Stoke on Trent we never had these problems.
That may be because we had proper life testing and I was the Quality Audit Technician :)

Fairplay! My Gran always swore by twin tubs, used to love watching them work when I was a kid. I've never liked combined washer dryers.

Commissario
Just checked mine, thankfully the model isn’t on the list of affected ones!
Feel for the folk who are affected, not what you want at this time of year.

Commissario
I fully expect the range of models affected to increase, as happened with the dryers.

From the sounds of it, the fault is a common part and design which means there is a good chance it's not just in the two "brands" they're currently talking about, but models from their other ones as they tend to share so much behind the front bezel and logo that I can't imagine them having that be significantly different (unless it was one particular factory putting them together that used a common part but was supplied locally and they didn't make the other models).

Man of Honour
I fully expect the range of models affected to increase, as happened with the dryers.

From the sounds of it, the fault is a common part and design which means there is a good chance it's not just in the two "brands" they're currently talking about, but models from their other ones as they tend to share so much behind the front bezel and logo that I can't imagine them having that be significantly different (unless it was one particular factory putting them together that used a common part but was supplied locally and they didn't make the other models).

Well Creda, Hotpoint, Ariston, Indesit, some Belling, some Cannon and now Whirlpool are all the exact same machine.
When the Italians took over in 2004 they started to source complete crap parts.

Soldato
Heard this on the radio today and thought "oh cripes I have a Hotpoint washing machine" when I got home and checked it I realized mine is a Hoover, my Tumble is too.

Soldato
there seems to be as much secrecy about what exactly is the failure mechanism and how they will fix it (like for the Beoing max issue)
I'd expect to find an engineering document with the facts layed bare, if nothing else to show people what the risk is.

"When the heating element in the washing machine is activated, in very rare cases a component in the door lock system can overheat, which, depending on product features, can pose a risk of fire," Whirlpool said.
is that it - really.

maybe this guy had the problem ...
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/hotpoint-washing-machine-burning-smell-opens-on-spin.508117/

Associate
So our washing machine is in the recall. Cant even get on the site to get it sorted. Spoke to a chap on the phone who told me to keep trying the site, he reckons it will be around 3 months till we get a new one sorted. How ridiculous sigh :(

Soldato
So our washing machine is in the recall. Cant even get on the site to get it sorted. Spoke to a chap on the phone who told me to keep trying the site, he reckons it will be around 3 months till we get a new one sorted. How ridiculous sigh :(

Aye the website just crashed as soon as it went up I think! Not tried the phone yet but if they're just directing folk back to the website then I'll just wait for that.

Soldato
I just had a Hotpoint washer-dryer installed a few weeks ago (landlord's choice of model, not mine), it's not affected presumably as it's too new but I think I may stop putting the washing on before I go out, just in case...

Soldato
We binned our hotpoint off because we got sick of waiting anyway.

That’s what they said at the start of the dryer recall and I think I was still waiting 18 months later with no end in sight. They are still catching up on the dryers as well.

Associate
We binned our hotpoint off because we got sick of waiting anyway.

That’s what they said at the start of the dryer recall and I think I was still waiting 18 months later with no end in sight. They are still catching up on the dryers as well.

We would if we could, unfortunately its only just 2 years old and cost us over £400. Don't really wanna be wasting that sorta money when we've had no issues with the machine at all. We'll just keep using it with cold washes!

Back
Top Bottom