Fire risks prompt tumble dryer recall - Now washing machines as well!

Soldato
You don't sit there and watch the washing go round & round :p

That's what I mean though, it's a fire risk. Our washing machine and dryer are tucked away in a utility room. They could quite easily set on fire and get into a very irretrievable situation if we just set it and walked away. So it was either a case of closely guard the machine every time it did a cycle, don't use it or get rid.

Soldato
So it was either a case of closely guard the machine every time it did a cycle, don't use it or get rid.

Or Option #4

Get the bit(s) you need and fit it yourself?? :D

The bottleneck on having the job done by Hotpoint/whoever I imagine isn't the availability of the relevant spares, it is the availability of people to do the repairs. There are only going to be a fixed number of washing machine repair guys out there and fixing half a million machines, even if the job is a simple one, is going to take a while.

Washing machines/dryers can be a bit fiddly to disassemble/reassemble. But I wouldn't describe them as hard.

And in this case, one is not having to diagnose a fault. Just replace a specific already identified part(s)

(Most important bit is take photos of circuit board connectors etc before unplugging them. There are often more sockets than cable looms and in principle you could plug them back into wrong parts of the boards if you are not careful)

Soldato
I just would not feel safe owning one of there washing or drying machines even with the fix..
Am glad I own an LG washing machine & Bosch dryer

Well, that is of course another issue.

Polishing Turds and all that! :/

Having pulled apart a number of machines in my time. The modern ones I have seen, even the expensive ones like Bosch are pretty crap really.

I am tempted with one of these however

https://www.ebac.com/washing-machines/

Not least because you can actually custom program your own wash cycles. AND they come with a hot fill.

Most modern machines simply do not use enough water and anything other than a cold wash takes many hours because of having to heat from cold.

Best machine we ever had as a family (And we had it for over 30 years till the mid 90's) was a Hoover Keymatic.

Brilliant machine. It was "Programable" too (Not user programable but you could buy additional program cards with updated wash cycles for new materials)

Hot fill meant that you could do a mixed wash in 45 minutes so although it was small capacity by modern standards, you could actually get more washing done in a day.

And the sloped front meant that you could have the machine under a work surface but didn't have to get on your hands and knees to load/unload it. You could also open the loading door mid cycle to add extra washing.

Brilliant machine, Shame somebody doesn't come up with a 2020 reboot.

Soldato
Any idea why many washing machines no have the hot water inlet these days ?

Most modern wash cycles are typically cooler than standard domestic hot water.

You would need an intelligent mixing valve to take full advantage of a hot water supply. Most modern machines are not that good so only use hot fill for the boil wash. Since people are currently discouraged from using high temperature washes, there is no point (Supposedly) from providing the option.

I like to use a boil wash once a week or so since it stops the machines from filling up with brown gunge.

Also, and on another note, I wonder if there is any correlation between the incidence of hospital acquired infections and the wearing of modern synthetic fibre nurses uniforms being washed at 30C??

Boiling, starching, and steam pressing, may be old fashioned, but at least you knew it was sterile!

Oh, PS

The Ebac machines do claim to use a mixer valve for the hot/cold water so you will spend little/no time heating water other than on the boil wash cycle.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like to use a boil wash once a week or so since it stops the machines from filling up with brown gunge.

Also, and on another note, I wonder if there is any correlation between the incidence of hospital acquired infections and the wearing of modern synthetic fibre nurses uniforms being washed at 30C??

The answer to the last is yes there was a case in germany of a serious outbreak of MRSA which was traced to the 30c wash cycle in the washing machine the nurses were using to clean their scrubs! Wish I could find the article just now. Machine was infested with it.

If you've had any kind of infectious skin condition you're told to wash your laundry at high temperature at least 60c which.. I may have had to do.

Commissario
How is this still going on 5 years later? It's unbelievable.
Probably because the basic design hasn't changed much and the design itself is heavily flawed?

We had ours changed by them (for a more expensive model), it still gets the fluff bypassing the filter because the filter design is terrible, it's both tight and awkward to get it, yet doesn't actually fit snugly around the edges so fluff gets sucked past it.
Even with us cleaning the filter every load we still have to clean behind/under the filter on a regular basis as fluff builds up past it, so I can just imagine how much there is building up out of sight.

Soldato
Exactly my point. Even after having to spend millions on this replacement program and all the associated ballache, they've still not redesigned the appliances to be less of a fire-hazard. They'd still rather take the risk of selling substandard machines and hoping no one finds out.

Back
Top Bottom