Fire risks prompt tumble dryer recall - Now washing machines as well!

Soldato
Fire risks prompt tumble dryer recall

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34901765

A "significant" number of tumble dryers sold in the last 11 years in the UK may need a repair owing to fears about fires.

Owners of large air-vented dryers and condensing dryers under the Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda brands may need to have them fixed.

Indesit said that excess fluff could catch the heating element in the machine and cause a fire.

It is recalling many dryers bought between April 2004 and October 2015.

Hotpoint
Indesit
Creda

http://safety.hotpoint.eu

-----------^

Soldato
Load of fluff about nothing. Just keep the trap clear and you're good to go. Lovely to see I have one that's affected.

Well you know what they say buy cheap and burn your bloody house down :eek:.

Associate
Load of fluff about nothing. Just keep the trap clear and you're good to go. Lovely to see I have one that's affected.

Well you know what they say buy cheap and burn your bloody house down :eek:.

Snap.

Fill in the form and we'll get back to you. In the meantime make sure it's not full of fluff (not really rocket science)

Soldato
Yeah I liked that bit lol. I've had to repair mine myself about 6 times now due to the pully holding the belt imploding on itself. So I'm pretty sure they wont repair it as I've buggered about with it.

Might just crack on with what I've been doing anyway make sure theres no fluff and only run it when I'm around.

Associate
Yeah I liked that bit lol. I've had to repair mine myself about 6 times now due to the pully holding the belt imploding on itself. So I'm pretty sure they wont repair it as I've buggered about with it.

Might just crack on with what I've been doing anyway make sure theres no fluff and only run it when I'm around.

Regardless of what maintenance it has had done, they will have to by law remove the fire risk/hazzard

Associate
I use to deliver kitchens appliances, Went to one house they had a Hotpoint washing machine or tumble dryer that went up in flames. That was well over 7 years ago damage their new kitchen as well.

Associate
The misses seems to have the indesit idc75 on constantly since we bought it in 2009 and no fire yet
I've replaced a few bits on it myself too but I've registered for a visit. Any idea what they plan to do?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

Haha, ive had to do the same, they pulley seems to be a real weak point. Mine must be 10 years old now and ive had to replace that pulley at least twice (and its noisy again, so i'll be doing it again soon!) along with the belt and elements once.

Fairly good machine though, its heavily used. Its mildly amusing that its an affected model as its been running this long without incident. Mines an IDC75SUK.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Any idea what they plan to do?

Fit a shroud around the heating element.

A few years back I had to replace a belt on my indesit and I was amazed at how much fluff there was in the bottom of the machine even though I kept the filter clean after every load. Glad I replaced it with a Bosch now!

Mind, I've still got a beko fridge freezer that could burn my house down!

Soldato
Haha, ive had to do the same, they pulley seems to be a real weak point. Mine must be 10 years old now and ive had to replace that pulley at least twice (and its noisy again, so i'll be doing it again soon!) along with the belt and elements once.

Fairly good machine though, its heavily used. Its mildly amusing that its an affected model as its been running this long without incident. Mines an IDC75SUK.

Thankfully I havent had to do the belt yet looks like it might be a bitch supporting the drum to get it over the back.

Ive got the IDC85C so that pully is clearly a weak point across models. Is it the one on the left of the motor? Such a sod to get to the bolts when everything's assembled.

However the ebay guy clearly loves me having done it 5 times already and will do it again today lol.

Must admit I did notice a burning smell coming from it before since then I've taken to only using it when I'm around and unplug it after use. Guess I've been lucky. Was only a small bit of burnt fluff, never thought to query if it was normal.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Replacing the belt is ok, the hardest part is getting the sod back over all the pulleys as they are so tight (but you'll be used to that with your pulley swaps anyway!)

To get it over the drum you undo the rear panel and prise it back just enough to slip it past the spindle for the rear of the drum, its really not too bad so dont worry if yours ever snaps.

Yep the pulley is this one, it seems as though it should be all metal with a proper ball bearing to me, a plastic wheel is never going to last under the tension it gets. Thats cheaply made machines for you though (they are all the same, no appliances have any quality about them IME) and each one has lasted a few years to be fair:
mXBvjR6.png

Soldato
Same bloke I buy mine from :D. Must do lots of business :D.

Yeah the belt is awfully tight with no give whatsoever I've taken to installing one side of the pulley and levering it into place before putting on the second bolt. Makes life a bit easier.

Agreed the plastic construction is a bit knaff although I've had instances where the bearing sleeve pops out knocking the circlip off. And just for giggles when I first opened it the factory had installed the belt incorrectly so it chewed a grove through the plastic under the drum :D. Doesn't inspire confidence.

Although to give it its due the rest of the machine has lasted longer than any previous one I can remember.

Also learnt the hard way how much that capacitor hurts :D.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Haha, luckily ive not had any shocks off mine yet. Always be very careful if you see large caps within mains voltage machines! :D

To be fair to these machines they are just as good as anything else, ive got a £2500 Range Cooker and internally that thing is just as rubbish as everything else. Ditto expensive American fridge etc, its all cheaply made when you get past the glitzy stainless steel exteriors.

Soldato
I'm a sparky so you'd have thought I knew better. Just brushed it when I was struggling with the belt. It's got a nice kick and smells divine :D. On the plus side my heart isn't weak :D.

Yeah I imagine everything is built at the same standard regardless of price. Shame really.

Back
Top Bottom