FireFox Auto Disabled My Addons and I Can't DL Any Now

Associate
I'm using the lastest version of FF and earlier today whilst watching a YT video.
FF popped a mesage up saying all Addons were now disable and they were "legency".
(NoScript, uBlock Origin, Kaspersky).

I've tried to re DL them, plus any random Addons, but I get a message saying "Download failed. Please check your connection", when I try.
I can browse websites normally.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled FF and deleted then created a new profile, but I still can't DL any Addons.
Plus I've turned off my VPN and Firewall, to check if that made any difference.
NoScript & uBlock Origin work fine using Brave browser.

Any advice please (apart from using a differenet browser)?
Thank you :)

V F

V F

Soldato
I fixed mine (download the Addons again) by clicking on MrRockliffe's link, scrolling down and then downloading the file in the "Samuel Vuorela" post (link number 1).
i.e. https://storage.googleapis.com/moz-fx-normandy-prod-addons/extensions/[email protected]
I used another browser to download it.

It was funny reading Reddit. Lack of NoScript was my biggest concern.

its horrible, the internet is full of adverts it turns out!

edit, emergency over, I fixed it with the temporary solution.

Caporegime
Had this happen last night while on YT, uBlock Origin just suddenly ****** off, so i started getting ads everywhere :p

Done the about:debugging fix at first (but you have to do it everytime you restart Foxy), so then i did the Studies one, to permanently fix it :D

about:debugging fix.

Temporarily loading extensions

Extensions installed via Firefox's debugging tools are installed "temporarily", meaning they will be automatically disabled again on browser restart.

All of your extensions currently reside in the "extensions" folder inside your profile folder. Go to ☰ > Help > Troubleshooting Information, then copy or make note of your "Profile folder" in the table.

Next open a tab and type about:debugging and click Load Temporary Add-on.... Navigate the file dialogue to your profile, then to the "extensions" folder inside. You should see a list of .xpi files - these are your add-ons. Load one, then repeat for all of them.

Just make sure, you show hidden/files and folders first, otherwise they wont show up, when you click on Load Temporary Add-on.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a new fix since yesterday afternoon, enable Options -> Privacy & Security -> and enable Allow Firefox to install and run studies. In about:studies you will see hotfix-reset-xpi-verification-timestamp-1548973 and hotfix-update-xpi-signing-intermediate-bug-1548973, once both of these are installed your add-ons will return and you can disable the studies option. A proper fix is also being rolled out as 66.0.4, although my FF doesn't see the update yet.

Soldato
Going to download the Vivaldi browser in a bit to have a look at.
ther's a moral though ... disable auto updates on browsers + add-ons, henceforth.

- after having been bitten by firefox and chrome (and windows) I adopted that strategy and will install a newer firefox at a different location,
and continue to use the old one until I have checked out the newer one,
there's a balance of risk, but if you have good hygene, many of the updates are cosmetic or addressing security issues that wouldn't impact you.

V F

V F

Soldato
ther's a moral though ... disable auto updates on browsers + add-ons, henceforth.

- after having been bitten by firefox and chrome (and windows) I adopted that strategy and will install a newer firefox at a different location,
and continue to use the old one until I have checked out the newer one,
there's a balance of risk, but if you have good hygene, many of the updates are cosmetic or addressing security issues that wouldn't impact you.

This just proves and why I despise auto updates these days.

Back
Top Bottom