FireFox Auto Disabled My Addons and I Can't DL Any Now

Soldato
Well it worked for me. Firefox got me off the old version i was running.....and onto Waterfox which works like a charm (thanks for the heads up Orcvader).

I fired my my Firefox (v56) again the other day and its still rooted... i even left it overnight to see if it just needed time. Firefox lost me as a user over this and im sure im not the only one.

They've rolled out a new fix for 47 to 56 with the blog link I just posted above yours, direct link to the fix for 56 here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/disabled-add-on-fix-52-56/

On the other hand, WF 68 alpha was released based on Quantum and still has legacy add-ons support, although some will need to be tweaked for compatibility: https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/09/waterfox-68-alpha-is-out/

Seems to be based on what the Thunderbird team had to do due to also needing to support legacy add-ons. WF is probably the best option for those who don't want to use FF but still want to avoid the Blink/Webkit dominance.

Soldato
the update was a bit late ... I can understand folks abandonning it, their patch was ~T+10days, albeit, if you were using an older version, you had above average skills to stop it updating and keep older extensions running, so searching for 3rd party solutions may have been possible.

I'll have to look for a break-out of which ff version people are now using ... although the next thing I need to do is apply a user agent spoofer, so that google search in ff looks like it does in chrome (if it can be conned) .. not sure if there are any legal cases outstanding agains google for browser discrimination.

... the new wf 68 looks interesting for me, although I don't really need the multi-processing/quantum it gives.

Soldato
I did the Studies thing and seemed to get ABP back, but trying to get Flash player again last night I again got the connection failure thing. haven't had time to look into a fix, to be honest i'm getting fairly annoyed w/ this rubbish now. don't particularly want to switch browsers but i'm getting more and more tempted.

Back
Top Bottom