• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Firm who replace memory in GTX280

Associate
Hello,
I am looking for a firm that repairs computer parts. I need to replace memory in my GTX280 graphic card as it is probably damaged.

Kind Regards
Asmodeus

Soldato
Thinking about it, if it is a bad IC you would need to find the exact same chip, and it would be near impossible to do the job by hand if you did manage to get the IC.

Its a none starter, it would cost more than a new card.

Associate
The IC could be replaced in about 5-10 minutes by someone with the right tools and know what they are doing, the problem is identifying the faulty component and buying another!

Can you not send it back under warranty?

Associate
OP
matthew2456 - I bought it on ebay and I haven't RMA. My only chance is replace memory. And I know price of memory is low only I don't have skills and tools and for that I need prof. firm who can do this.

Jono8 - change GTX280 SSC EVGA to GTX260?

jigger - matthew2456 is right, it's not a hell lot of a job you only need proper tools.

But I still haven't got the answer for my problem: does anyone know a firm that could do it for me?

Regards

Asmodeus

Associate
OP
To get RMA for this card I need to register it but this has already been done by the previous owner and I can't re-register it. I have tried to contact the seller, to no avail. The card has got a lifetime warranty - 10 years.

Soldato
The RAM chip floats on a bed of about twenty balls of solder, it will be one hell of a job to get a chip back on the PCB correctly, it could be done, but it is one hell of a job.

What makes you think its the IC, whats the problem with the card ?

Associate
OP
footman - price for card is very low and I think is something wrong with it :) no warranty, item from close e-shop :)

jigger - artifact in BIOS (line and other things), Windows 7 start in 800x600 with lots of horizontal line, after install drivers windows make BSoD and restart. I my knowledge is memory.

I use Enermax Modu 82+ 525W - is not power supply:D
(sorry for spelling :) and other mistakes)

Associate
There is a guy in Wales who solders bios chips on M/Boards, maybe he could do it. He advertises on ebay, just search for bios chip and you will find him.

Soldato
footman - price for card is very low and I think is something wrong with it :) no warranty, item from close e-shop :)

jigger - artifact in BIOS (line and other things), Windows 7 start in 800x600 with lots of horizontal line, after install drivers windows make BSoD and restart. I my knowledge is memory.

I use Enermax Modu 82+ 525W - is not power supply:D
(sorry for spelling :) and other mistakes)

Are you sure that there is no warranty with the manufacturer (NOT the retailer)? You said it has a 10 year warranty, so why not just send it off to them for repair?

Associate
Chips used for BIOSes usually have legs soldered onto some points that are easy to get to. Those RAM chips are BGA (Ball Grid Array) so there are a load of little balls underneath the chip. We have a machine at work for replacing BGA chips which is like a sort of jig that holds the board and chip in the right place and heats it to the exact right temp (if the temps wrong you will fry the board or chip) with a kind of hot air blower clamp thing. The machine was about 40 grand or something disgusting, and only 2 of the guys at work actually know how to use the damn thing anyway. In short, thats gonna be a huge pain in the arse to do.
That said, someone here has a guide on how to do it, if you feel up to trying that though youre a braver man that I ;)

Associate
OP
philjohn - this is a part from email what I recive from EVGA RMA staff - "...I am sorry about the problems with the video card. Unfortunately as per the terms and conditions of the warranty it is available for the original purchaser only. We would not be able to submit the card for you for warranty. I would keep trying to contact the seller. http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/ EVGA Technical Support..."

I have original box with warranty label and on card is also original sticker. But EVGA give warranty ONLY a original purchaser... eh...

Bigdogbmx - I know is very hard make this in home:) and I ask: does anyone know a firm that could do it for me? :)

Associate
I saw that same thread last night but never thought to mention it here. looks like it worked for quite a few people. dunno how long it will work for but could be the easy answer

Back
Top Bottom