First attempt at overclocking

Associate
Hi guys, I thought I'd have a go at overclocking my i5 750 before I get my hands on one of the new ivy cpus at the end of the month.
I've read around the internet loads and I kind of get the basics of it.
My system is above cpu with:
asus P7p55D mobo
4Gb (2x2Gb) Dominator ram.

So far, I've set the multiplier to 20x, and increased the bus speed to 160Mhz. I set the Ram to 1600Mhz and in the advanced settings entered the setting for the Domitator ram (9-9-9-24).

This booted into windows then hung as I was opening cpu-z, core temp and prime95. I rebooted a few times but it kept hanging.

After playing around with the settings abit its been stable on Prime95 for about 15 mins with max temp 61 degrees.
The settings for this are with bus speed 155, giving me 3.1Ghz, but its just less that 1600Mhz frequency on the Ram.

Any chance you could throw us a few hints how to get past this point? Or pointers on where I'm going wrong.

Cheers
Nathan

Soldato
Thats the question ;)

Up it a notch or two, the stress test to make sure its stable and not too hot. Rinse and repeat. You may have to up the voltage a smidge but don't without plenty of research. Someone that has/had your CPU uverclocked might be able to point you at a good guide.

Associate
What does it go upto?

First step is to find the max stable frequency generally with all the other overclock settings including voltages on automatic or default.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
After abit more fiddling, I've got it to boot with the fsb @ 160Mhz, 20x multiplier and ram @ 1600Mhz.
This is still at stock voltages. I jst turned off 2 of the settings in the AI tweaker tab for the turboboost and an energy saving setting. I also set the Ram timings back to auto.

Associate
Well done but I'd be keeping a close eye on your temperatures with Hardware Monitor before doing anymore stability testing and or fiddling with settings in the BIOS.

Associate
OP
ok, I've just restarted it with that ticked, its been going for 5 mins, no problems with max cpu temp hitting 64 degrees.

When I've been reading about I read that I should be able to achieve 3.6 Ghz with stock cooler. I've got an aftermarket cooler but can't get passed 3.2. I this because I need to adjust the voltages or am I doing something wrong?

Associate
K give it half an hour at least two full passes to get a decent initial basis of stability. After that you could have a go at changing the CPU multiplier to *21 (giving you 3.36Ghz ) or / and increasing the FSB gradually to begin aiming for your target.

No need to start touching voltages yet.

Bear in mind I have zero knowledge any of your hardware and this is all just the basic overclocking formula.

Associate
It would also be a good idea to check the 'Hardware monitor' section in your BIOS to see if there is any fan speed profiles in there which may be affecting your fan speeds.

Got good airflow through your case?

Back
Top Bottom