First Cruise - Norwegian Fjords

I've only ever cruised with other people, however every single cruise I have been on I have made at least a handful of friends with randoms on board. Really will vary by brand and destination though, a Med cruise on TUI/AIDA you'd probably struggle as the majority of guests would be German, but something like Royal Carribean/Virgin/Celebrity/NCL would be a bit more eclectic. Or go P&O/Cunard if you want to be with mainly other Brits.
Thanks… I can speak German.. very basic but it’s got me by in the past.

LOL i think my mum was on the Iona when that happened on the Britannia. There are people out there that will abuse the drinks packs and cant handle it and cause trouble. The security staff are apparently fantastic if anything like this ever happens. If it happens on the trip you normally get booted off at the next port and have to make your own way back to the UK.

Sorry for the pivot.. but anyone been on a cruise on their own?
Never been on a cruise before, most of my holidays have been land based staying in a restore but I like the idea of being able to go to muliple places. Just that it's very likely that I would have to go on my lonesome.

Thou it would have to be a cruise in a warm region, as much as I love the nordic people that I've met and the countries do look beautiful... I'm very much a summer bunny.

Thanks in advance..
I don't think many are set up for solo cruisers, i.e. I think a lot of cruises you'll pay the same as if you will be with someone, so it works out quite a bit more expensive. Might be different for all-inclusive where you'd expect them to make an allowance for only 1 eating/drinking.In my early years I did a lot of travelling on my own (not cruises), and the only time I felt odd was eating time, so I mostly did fast food stuff.

I did enjoy but didnt see the aurora. It was pretty overcast and chilly most of the time and then we missed the final port because of extremely strong winds so had 2 days at sea for the last 2 days and the weather was really nice. Coming out of the fjord from Olden was fantastic just cruising up as it was starting to get a little dark with some areas of dense forest, snow capped mountains and the odd house in the middle of nowhere was great to see.

The food onboard was great and it was a pretty chill week of relaxing, rewatching some movies and going for food while looking at the scenery.

My first cruise was was P&O on Azura to the Norwegian Fjord and though we did not get off to a good stat. Due to a Nora virus out break on the cruise before my one. We had to wait in the security / arrive lounge for narly 4 hours which was stuffy, hot and only had very small drink area.
Any way once on board we explored from top to bottom of the ship to get our bearing, and to know our way around the ship.

Our first impressions were the food was excellent, the gym ok, entertainment very good, staff helpful and friendly. Though all the open air pools were drained and no food was available from the Lido burger / pizza bar due to the Nora virus out break.
The scenery steaming up the Fjord was amazing, and some thing out of a Jurassic park movie !

In all we were happy with the holiday / cruise though not sure if cruising was for us.
Since then we havedone 4 cruises including the Iona to Norwegian Fjords, and loved the shi especailly the street food outlets i.e Fish n Chips. Some of the best Fish n Chips I have tasted in a very long time.
All the food dinning area are very good, so is the gym ( proper Olympic bars and 20kg plates ), cinema, theatre, production shows, and very lovely ship to be on.
If the ship went further north in Norway I would go again.

I was of the same thoughts but to be honest i would go on one again. My mum and sister asked me and i said yes and they asked if i would prefer somewhere hotter. To be honest i am not a hot weather person. If its sunny and clear then its fine if its flipping hot then i am not a fan. So who knows. I would be tempted with the 2 week one that goes between the UK and Canries at xmas if it was cheap enough but we will have to see.

I was of the same thoughts but to be honest i would go on one again. My mum and sister asked me and i said yes and they asked if i would prefer somewhere hotter. To be honest i am not a hot weather person. If its sunny and clear then its fine if its flipping hot then i am not a fan. So who knows. I would be tempted with the 2 week one that goes between the UK and Canries at xmas if it was cheap enough but we will have to see.
I'm doing 2 weeks in the canaries in Feb next year :) (but flying to tenerife, not cruising from here)

Sounds good.. To be honest tho i would prefer to be on the ship in the sunshine than the hassle of a plane there and back.
Yeah, but we've never been to the Canaries, so for us it's an opportunity to see more of the place. A cruise from Soton would be 6 days at sea just getting to/from the islands, 5 days in the islands and a couple of days in Cadiz/Lisbon or similar :)

UPDATE!

Looking for next years cruise. Looking at the PandO Arvia Med (France, Spain and Italy) for 14 nights in April. Now to see if we can get a decent deal on it.

Back
Top Bottom