First ever PC build - Opinions & advice welcome!

Associate
Hey chaps & chapesses!

So I've been planning this build for around 2 years now (build date kept on getting pushed back for financial reasons) and come next month I'll finally be able to afford all the bits I want! Wooo!

I'm looking to get a pretty high end build suited for pretty much everything - gaming, video & photo editing, programming, virtual machines etc etc.

Here's what I'm currently thinking:

• CPU: Intel i7 6850k -------------------------------- ~£550
  • CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U14S ----------------------- ~£50
  • Motherboard: Asus X99-Deluxe II ------------------ Bought for £388 (£358 after £30 cashback)
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000MHz ~£120
  • GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 1080Ti ---------------------- ~£800
  • SSD: 1x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro ----------------- Bought for £77
  • SSD: 1x 1TB Samsung 850 Pro -------------------- Bought for £312
  • PSU: Corsair HX850i ------------------------------ ~£150
  • Case: Corsair Air 540 (White) -------------------- ~£150
  • Monitors: 3x Dell U2515H (1440p) ---------------- Bought for a total of £615
Making for a potential total of a whopping ~£3,382!

As you can see, some of the parts I've already bought as they were really good deals at the time (and still are, look at those SSD prices!). The motherboard I literally bought yesterday because of the £30 cashback offer ending at the end of the month. What are your thoughts guys? Things like the CPU cooler, RAM, PSU and case I'm relatively undecided on but the rest is pretty nailed on I think ...unless you can change my mind!

Also worth noting, due to the price hike in RAM lately I think I'll stick to 16GB for the time being and just upgrade to 32GB if needed in the future, unless there's a really good reason to jump straight into 32GB now? I'll also probably get a big HDD in the future too for general data.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The case is great to build in, Ive used it twice now on friends builds.

The PSU is good but there are some slightly cheaper yet still exceptional alternatives,

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £400.03
(includes shipping: £11.10)

The Noctua cooler is also excellent at being quiet+cool and easy to fit.

Associate
OP
The case is great to build in, Ive used it twice now on friends builds.

The PSU is good but there are some slightly cheaper yet still exceptional alternatives,

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £400.03
(includes shipping: £11.10)

The Noctua cooler is also excellent at being quiet+cool and easy to fit.

Brilliant, thanks for that. Shall have a look into these.

Regarding the case, would you say the cube style is better than traditional?

Dont waste your money on the 6850k get the 6800k.

Interesting, any reason for this?

Caporegime
Brilliant, thanks for that. Shall have a look into these.

Regarding the case, would you say the cube style is better than traditional?

No as there are also some excellent tower cases available from the likes of Phanteks that are also relatively easy to build in mainly due to the ample space available.

For example - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-enthoo-luxe-midi-tower-case-white-ca-005-pt.html - I am currently using the black version of this and its easy to build in and make it look neat.

Also available in black with a large glass window - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-enthoo-luxe-glass-midi-tower-case-gun-metal-ca-066-pt.html

Is it the quietest case I've ever used? Nope, but its not loud.

Associate
OP
No as there are also some excellent tower cases available from the likes of Phanteks that are also relatively easy to build in mainly due to the ample space available.

For example - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-enthoo-luxe-midi-tower-case-white-ca-005-pt.html - I am currently using the black version of this and its easy to build in and make it look neat.

Also available in black with a large glass window - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-enthoo-luxe-glass-midi-tower-case-gun-metal-ca-066-pt.html

Is it the quietest case I've ever used? Nope, but its not loud.
Awesome, thanks for that. So of the two (Air 540 vs the Phantek) you prefer the Phantek?

Associate
The 6850K has 40 pcie lanes against 28 on the 6800K but if you are not going to use them all then save money and go with the 6800K. Also did you not consider Ryzen ?

It is worth considering a Ryzen 7, with its extra cores it should handily beat either the 6800k or 6850k in most workloads, and only trail behind it a few % in gaming. and likely save you a few pounds

Associate
OP
The 6850K has 40 pcie lanes against 28 on the 6800K but if you are not going to use them all then save money and go with the 6800K. Also did you not consider Ryzen ?
That makes sense but I will potentially add more PCIe components in the future like an m.2 or another 1080Ti. I did consider Ryzen but I've had my heart set on Intel for a few years now, I don't like the idea of spending this amount of money and then thinking it's not the system I really wanted
You've already bought the board so unless you want to send it back.
That wasn't me who said that :)

Soldato
That makes sense but I will potentially add more PCIe components in the future like an m.2 or another 1080Ti. I did consider Ryzen but I've had my heart set on Intel for a few years now, I don't like the idea of spending this amount of money and then thinking it's not the system I really wanted

You can still do SLI and add an M.2 SSD on 28 lanes as it would be x16/x8 for the gpu's and x4 for the SSD.

Back
Top Bottom