First go at over clocking

Associate
I have always been afraid to try it but as I'm going to upgrade soon I thought what the hell.

i have an ancient z97 gigabyte mb 8gb 1300mz ram and a 2060

i have played around in bios and set it to 4.3 and got a cinebench score of 1530 with max temp of 73.

I tried to push my multiplayer over to 4.6 and it wouldn't boot so is that a decent improvement or should I just leave it at stock?

I havent touched any voltages I just followed a basic how to guide on you tube that told me to change my multiplier and disable some other settings by the way

my cooler is a double fan raijintek from about 6 years ago that barely fit in my case the thing is ugly and huge so should keep temps down but I'm unsure how to push it further

Last edited:
Soldato
You haven't stayed what your CPU is but generally, try to increase clock speed in 100MHz steps. If 4.3GHz works and 4.6GHz doesn't, try 4.4 or 4.5.

Monitor voltage while you do this, not just in BIOS but actual readings from HWinfo or similar. When things get unstable, you can either lower the clock speed or raise core voltage. Probably best to stay below 1.3V until you've started fine tuning.

Associate
OP
You haven't stayed what your CPU is but generally, try to increase clock speed in 100MHz steps. If 4.3GHz works and 4.6GHz doesn't, try 4.4 or 4.5.

Monitor voltage while you do this, not just in BIOS but actual readings from HWinfo or similar. When things get unstable, you can either lower the clock speed or raise core voltage. Probably best to stay below 1.3V until you've started fine tuning.
i54670k

so should I be playing with voltage? or just increasing.clock speed in 100mhz increments in the bios till I find a stable level

Soldato
Setting the voltage manually is safer than letting the board decide as latter method tends to pump more Vcore than needed.

The terms vary depending on manufacturer but you want to choose Manual/Fixed instead of Adaptive/Dynamic (for now anyway) to lock down the Vcore to what you set it, otherwise programs with AVX will use 0.1v extra.

Then just choose a Vcore like 1.3v as Lucky recommended since you have a big cooler. And then continue from 4.4GHz up in 100MHz increments, yes, checking for stability and temps each time.

Is it Cinebench R20 you're using? Try stay 80C or below as that'd be a realistic max temp for a 24/7 overclock.

Associate
OP
Setting the voltage manually is safer than letting the board decide as latter method tends to pump more Vcore than needed.

The terms vary depending on manufacturer but you want to choose Manual/Fixed instead of Adaptive/Dynamic (for now anyway) to lock down the Vcore to what you set it, otherwise programs with AVX will use 0.1v extra.

Then just choose a Vcore like 1.3v as Lucky recommended since you have a big cooler. And then continue from 4.4GHz up in 100MHz increments, yes, checking for stability and temps each time.

Is it Cinebench R20 you're using? Try stay 80C or below as that'd be a realistic max temp for a 24/7 overclock.
I dont really understand the top part of your post should I just go back to default instead of messing with voltages I dont feel confident doing that. Over clocking seemed easy when I was just upping the hz.

And yes that was in cinebench r20

Soldato
I dont really understand the top part of your post

What it means is that if you don't set the voltage manually, the motherboard will likely pump more voltage than required when you up the mhz.

If you set the Vcore manually, you have more control and it's safer.

If you don't want to change Vcore manually, then it's probably safer to just go back to default.

Soldato
I dont really understand the top part of your post should I just go back to default instead of messing with voltages I dont feel confident doing that. Over clocking seemed easy when I was just upping the hz.

And yes that was in cinebench r20
If you leave the voltage on auto and increase the frequency, the board will compensate by pumping more volts into the cpu. So as said, it's safer to set the voltage manually to 1.3v and then see how far you can get in frequency before you start seeing instability. Then back it off and run some longer stability tests.

Back
Top Bottom