First Home - Renovation Project

Soldato
The colours/patterns have been the hardest part to get right - we really had to cherry pick through all the packs to get the right balance. I wouldn't say any look uneven in real life, although it could just be my tiling? :p
I think it is just my eyes... I seriously doubt your tiling is going to be at fault here, especially with all the effort you have put in!

I can just see one or two areas where the joins between tiles look a bit weird because of the colours and/or patterns that are adjacent to each other, but it is purely an optical effect. And weirdly, the more I look at the pictures, the more the floor grows on me. Looking forward to seeing the kitchen units in situ.

Would you not put an underlay under the floor?
Underlay under tiles? Is that a thing?

Associate
Just read through this thread and all I can say is wow!
That's quite some project you took on, it makes my current extension look like a weekend project!
Keep up the good work and hope you'll be finished and sitting back enjoying all your hard work soon.

Associate
OP
Edited, here is the rest of the tiling work - Utility room and grouting:

kbymox.jpg

dyrd7a.jpg

1ytgt0.jpg

21j2k1z.jpg

s5by1z.jpg

73mb5s.jpg

33p6hx1.jpg

Just read through this thread and all I can say is wow!
That's quite some project you took on, it makes my current extension look like a weekend project!
Keep up the good work and hope you'll be finished and sitting back enjoying all your hard work soon.
Thanks for sharing reminds me of when we did our house a few years back. I don't envy you! lol :p

Thanks both :) It's getting there slowly.

Still cant get used to the floor

Haa, I'll roll out some cheap vinyl to protect your eyes when you visit :rolleyes:

Any update on how this is coming along?

It's been over a month - we want kitchen pictures... please?!

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy few months with the work/house and possibly a new job soon to add to the chaos :p

Kitchen Update

Before I can start fitting the kitchen, there are a few niggling jobs that need to be sorted.

We've had an issue with damp around an old fireplace since it was plastered, the chimney stack has been removed and there's no sign of penetrating water so I'm hoping it's just the salts that have leaked in the wall from burning coal. For now, I've just installed an air vent to allow the area to breathe and air out.

qocasx6.jpg
aBVrbIF.jpg

I wired up the extractor fan, I went with a Greenwood Airvac Elite 150HTR which has some nice features like automatic shutters for the draft and a built-in humidistat - It works well and passed the kettle test. I also chased out a spur for the sink's waste disposal unit.

XQ6SXG4.jpg

TBC - More to post

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Before I could start fitting the kitchen, I had to sort out the shoddy 1st fix plumbing and chase the pipework in the wall.

2ui8wuw.jpg

15ocej5.jpg

e6f51z.jpg

sno1op.jpg

2rf9dg1.jpg

I rebuilt the corner using bonding compound (dot + dab), it was in a very awkward area and took quite a lot of compound for the plasterboard to grip around the pipes and stone wall. I was conscious that there will be a fair amount of vibration once the worktop has been installed, so I decided to tape and joint the repair to minimise chances of cracking over time.

2akg4ki.jpg

14akhoz.jpg

dhafqw.jpg

Straight tape and reinforced corner tape:

ny8yut.jpg

In an ideal world, you should use tapered edge plasterboard if you are going tape and joint, this will allow space for the joint adhesive without it adding too much bulk - the thicker the layer, the more layers and feathering it will take to smooth out. It took me 3 layers (sand by hand between each layer) and an overall layer to finish (known as a level 5 finish).

35i4mtj.jpg

m7e6hh.jpg

33lmqyo.jpg

2hq9f1f.jpg

Very happy with the finish, all ready to fit the kitchen now :)

29zpp4x.jpg

We used Kair anti-mould additive in the paint to prevent any mould behind the units or in cold spots, an issue that is quite common in old houses with condensation. This may be unnecessary with the extractor fan and ventilation but we didn't want to take the risk.

2nu4ysw.jpg

2z3ovup.jpg

j09z68.jpg

34imo9g.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you protect the pipes? I read you have to protect them if putting in plaster as it'll rot away the pipes.

Normally you'd whack insulation around them or hack it with gaffa tape.

Looks good though.

Soldato
I'd never heard that with plaster (not saying you're wrong). I know you have to with concrete.

I think it depends what you're using. Some plasters contain cement or lime which will eat pipes.

Only know because I was going to switch radiator pipes to come out of wall rather than freestanding and was told they need to be protected.

Back
Top Bottom