First impressions & Teardown: Acer Revo RL70 AMD Sff System

Associate
Hi,

I just got one of cheap ones with Linux pre-installed. I've installed another 2GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit and Plex and it's working well - it has no trouble with high bit rate MKVs (once you enable DXVA2 :)).

I'd like to use the Revo to replace my ageing and rather loud HTPC in the lounge. However, there's one snag. Acer neglected to fit an IR module in the case. The motherboard has an ITE IR controller and Windows sees this and installs the eHome drivers. But, there's nothing physically connected to the 3-pin IR header on the motherboard. I guess you only get the module if you buy the unit fully loaded with TV tuner, etc.

Has anyone got any ideas about how I could get IR to work internally? I know I could buy a cheap USB receiver, but i'd like to use the controller in the mobo if possible.

Maybe I could wire one of these in? http://www1.conrad-uk.com/scripts/w...]=Sat,+07-Apr-2012+16:00:17+GMT&scrwidth=1920

Cheers,

Paul.

Associate
On a side note, Acer used some pretty terrible thermal pad on the cooler, would prob be better to replace it with some Artic Silver or something while its all apart.
Yeah I removed the thermal pad and replaced with some thermal paste. My max temp before was about 80C I think and now the max I have seen is 72-74 I believe.

Associate
Yep, mine is running a lot cooler now.

I replaced the 640GB WD Blue Hard Drive with a 500GB Samsung Spinpoint M8 and the system is running perfectly now.

The WD drive is terrible, causing my system to freeze randomly and underperforming. Using ATTO to benchmark, the WD drive reached R/W speeds of around 90MB/sec, the new Samsung drive gets to 120MB/sec. The WD drive is not defective, just cheap and nasty.

Associate
Hi, while I'm thuggin it, I have a quick question, I ordered a RL70 a few days ago and I should have it by Thursday.

I know ill have to buy a HDMI cable because it will need to be 4 meters. But do any of you know if it comes with a VGA cable or will I have to buy one of those too?

Also can you guys recommend a good cheap VGA or SVGA cable, I've never had to buy one before because they always came attached to a monitor (in my case) back in the day.

Also I get the impression linux aint worth bothering with the RL70, should I just stick Win7 on it, I dont have the money so ill just run enterprise 90 day trial and rearm it 5 times giving me over a year to save up :o

Taa.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Silky smooth here too. Handles all my high bit rate mkv's and bitstreams the high definiton audio to my receiver flawlessly. If you use an external player with XBMC for mkv's then you might have to make some setting changes but if you're just using XBMC then it will work fine. Also thanks for the info Aikon on swapping out the hdd. Got my SSD in there now and it runs excellent.

silky smooth through all my tests, dosent bat an eyelid even with 18gb high bit rate mkv's its amazing ;)

Awesome to know guys, been looking at one of these to replace my ageing desktop PC consisting of an E6600 and ATI 4870 that just sucks up power all the while its on. All I use it for is playing HD material and music, and to know that it handles 18GB MKV's is all I need to know as the average I play is around 10GB.

Just out of interest also, how does it cope with audio... will it prform decently vs the Auzentech Prelude I have in my PC? Good sound quality? Does it handle Dolby 5.1 well?

Can one of you even indulge me and try and play something inane like a 30GB+ MKV and see how it handles it? :D

It really is amazing what you can get nowadays in such a tiny form factor nowadays. :eek:

Associate
Quick question from a newbie on here:

Does anyone know how well these will run Itunes HD movies? can someone try and see if they stutter? I ask as I have a revo 3610 and its great apart from that one aspect - it isnt quite man enough for itunes movies.

Wanted to check before I invest in one for a second 46" TV

/crowflies

Associate
OP
Apologies. Have a lot of real lifeissues going on right now which is why I've been a bit quiet on here. I will try to go through the thread ASAP and update with my responses.

Sorry about this.

Associate
I received my RL70 this week. Went for the 4gb 640gb version. First impressions are very positive. It is the first time I have had anything like this small form factor.

I primarily run xmbc in win7 pro. The win7 score is 3.9. I haven't got any 30gb mkv but 4gb avi and iplayer hd run without any problems in xmbc. Switching from hdmi to optical through the amp does give 5.1 DD no fussing.

All the drivers are on the acer website and I recommend you getting these whilst windows is installing off a laptop because many features are disabled when win7 first starts.

My Revo looks like it has an IR port on the front and you do install an IR driver but you don't get a remote control so not sure about this yet.

Associate
I received my RL70 this week. Went for the 4gb 640gb version. First impressions are very positive. It is the first time I have had anything like this small form factor.

I primarily run xmbc in win7 pro. The win7 score is 3.9. I haven't got any 30gb mkv but 4gb avi and iplayer hd run without any problems in xmbc. Switching from hdmi to optical through the amp does give 5.1 DD no fussing.

All the drivers are on the acer website and I recommend you getting these whilst windows is installing off a laptop because many features are disabled when win7 first starts.

My Revo looks like it has an IR port on the front and you do install an IR driver but you don't get a remote control so not sure about this yet.

>> can you fire up Itunes and run some HD content and tell me if it stutters?
thats the one thing holding me back from buying one of these

/CF

Associate
I don't use iTunes but I did download it to see. You have to buy the movies I couldn't see anyway of viewi g th trailers in hd. They ran smooth but they are not hd versions.

I don't think I can help you with this one

Associate
Sorry I should have thought of that :( There is a free download you can try:-

peep show, series6, episode 1, preview.

That has an SD and HD version. Only if you get chance - thanks

/CF

Associate
OP
btw in regards to the IR port, that is there for the double height htpc version of the rl70. they just double stack an extended chassis with a bluray drive on top of our models instead of the top and add an IR module to the bottom front.

when i did the teardown, the space where the IR module should be is blank.

was a bit of a bummer.

Associate
i treid the peep show file. the file infor is for a 1280x720 HD (720p) lasts about 1 min with them discussing the boiler. the clip played without stutter, it has a bit rate of 159kbps.

although i chose the 1080p version from the list to play on my tv at 1920x1080p. Infact chose all 3 versions and each played without stutter.

does this answer your question

cheers

Last edited:
Associate
i treid the peep show file. the file infor is for a 1280x720 HD (720p) lasts about 1 min with them discussing the boiler. the clip played without stutter, it has a bit rate of 159kbps.

although i chose the 1080p version from the list to play on my tv at 1920x1080p. Infact chose all 3 versions and each played without stutter.

does this answer your question

cheers

That's great many thanks - I have the old revo 3610 and HD in Itunes is unplayable, though fine with everything else. I want to free up my i3 laptop I'm currently using on my main TV screen and your confirmation gives me confidence to go ahead - thanks again

/CF

Associate
played a few m2ts files i took off the ps3 play tv as well. they were 3-4gb each. its a pity about the IR port.

the mini pcie that was mentioned earlier in the post - how do you know if the aerial is positioned in the right place on the board to fit in the hole left in the case ?

thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom