First internal UK flight

Associate
You might find it is cheaper to go from Heathrow. I didn't really do a proper search but the bus to LHR is about £40 return plus flights from about £80 I think.

Man of Honour
That is a rather good deal, 35 quid for that kind of bus!??

Impressive.

It's false economy though. Every hour you are on the bus, you have effectively lost time. Grossly rounding things together, if the bus took 8 more hours the plane and if you would work for no less than £10 an hour, then in real terms it's costing you £115 plus the intrinsic value of having that free time.

It's just like theme parks on a busy day. Paying £20 to skip 2 hours of queuing is totally worth it as the intrinsic value of having that free time is so great.

Caporegime
Most UK internal travel is for business. Business can't (within reason) choose a cheaper option, so they price accordingly!

This. Internal UK flights are full of people expensing the trip. There's no hoard of holiday makers seeking sun causing competition to pull the prices down.

Caporegime
It's false economy though. Every hour you are on the bus, you have effectively lost time. Grossly rounding things together, if the bus took 8 more hours the plane and if you would work for no less than £10 an hour, then in real terms it's costing you £115 plus the intrinsic value of having that free time.

That's only if the extra work is actually available to you, which in the current climate it usually isn't.

And don't forget to take into account income tax. :p

Soldato
I'm from Aberdeen :)

Anyways, since everyone is listing flights - I used to travel from Dundee to London City which was £400. Dundee to Stansted now though which is about half the price.

Soldato
I did Aberdeen to Heathrow the week before last for £148 return, with Virgin Atlantic. Only booked it a week ahead of time but it doesn't seem like that makes any real difference anyway. First time I've flown with them but it was good, I'll use them again in future.

Associate
I did Aberdeen to Heathrow the week before last for £148 return, with Virgin Atlantic. Only booked it a week ahead of time but it doesn't seem like that makes any real difference anyway. First time I've flown with them but it was good, I'll use them again in future.
Operated by Aer Lingus in case you were interested!

Soldato
How near Aberdeen is near and in which direction of it? Flights from Bristol to Inverness are far cheaper around that time. Of course it would then mean getting the train to wherever you are going so adds more time.

Back
Top Bottom