Fixed or flashing or pulsing? - change my mind

Man of Honour
After reading a thread in GD I thought I'd get expert advice.
I've always been a fixed beam person with a 700 lumen light but after many incidents where I've not been seen (I'm not exactly small either), I decided to change to pulsing and (touch wood) I haven't had any major problems.
However, I've read in the GD thread that pulsing/flashing is not the way. Nobody has ever flashed me and when I'm driving flashing cycle lights haven't bothered me but I read in GD that it's not really safe for a cyclist.

Care to change my mind OCUK?

Soldato
Why isn't it safe?

Are you talking about front/rear/both?

As a driver I always appreciate it when I see people wearing Hi-Vis clothing. Sadly few seem to.

Soldato
I'm starting to veer towards pulse lights front and back, but especially on the front, make sure the beam is pointing down.

Which alerts traffic there is a bike around... But this may trigger road rage from some of the GD crowd and will give them a sense of entitlement to mow you down. ;)

Man of Honour
Just my observation but the most obvious cyclists when coming up behind them on my way to work are those with 1 constant and 1 flashing rear light.

At least for me I think what is going on is that the high frequency change is most noticeable as our eyes are tuned to detect motion but then constant light provides a better reference to position and movement.

I have somewhat mixed opinions on flashing front lights but the only person I've encountered that doesn't have just constant front light(s) has them poorly configured.

Last edited:
Soldato
When Cycling I like to have a fixed front light to light up the ground around me on unlit sections, if I was to add a second light I'd have it flash/pulse to get more attention on the road however. Rear I run with a pusling nightrider kinda light.
When Driving I used to get quite frustrated with cyclists with a single very bright strobing light aimed high. Yes I was able to spot the cyclist, but due to the strobing brightness I'd not be able to make out clearly how far away they are and it's hugely distracting when trying to see other things - not a great thing...

Soldato
I ride with two front lights, two rear lights. One flashing, one steady state.

Flashing/strobing front lights alone are in my opinion not good in the dark (fine in the day) because they make it difficult to judge the speed and distance as it approaches.

Soldato
Pulsing or flashing in built up areas with street lighting or daytime.

Solid beam (maybe pulsing too if not too bright) elsewhere.

Oh and point them down... like a car has dipped beams. Preferably don't put 5000 lumens on your head either.. the moment you look round at a passing cyclist you blind them.

Soldato
I ride with two front lights, two rear lights. One flashing, one steady state.

Flashing/strobing front lights alone are in my opinion not good in the dark (fine in the day) because they make it difficult to judge the speed and distance as it approaches.

Exactly this.

Man of Honour
Two lights with one of each is definitely the best.

Right now as I ride home whilst it's still light I only have two rear, one front but once it gets truly dark I'll be in my full christmas tree regalia.

Soldato
Both if you can. I have 2 fronts, 1 low flashing and 1 on the bars contant. 3 Rears - 1 flashing/constant (exposure tracer) 1 pulsing and 1 fixed.

Soldato
nice rucsac - (controversially) per the GD thread, I still contend you need a large surface area reflective surface (like the rucsac) too.
at least on my local Unlit 60mph B road, one constant/one flash rear light alone are inadequate to catch the eye 300yards out, against oncoming traffic.
Larger surface area rear lights could help.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've seen the Proviz line in action (jacket and rucksack). Both are pretty impressive in terms of reflectivity. Definitely a better choice at night than your usual bright yellow/etc cack.

Soldato
I could not find anything about the actual proviz material when I looked the other day (seemed to be mention of Kickstarter) for the newest material, how does it survive the occasional wash ?
It does seem fairly directional though, and you need to be perpendicular with the car lights (there is a female walker who wears one where I run regularly, once at the right angle, it lights up)

Most reflective is the solas prismatic material , was thinking of getting some strips to improve on the reflexite yellow prismatic I currently use;
as you say, the typical yellow stuff from 3M is not prismatic.

edit :proviz kickstarter was a year back

Last edited:

tef

tef

Associate
i have Cateye Volt 100/200. normally flashing if im on road, but will turn to constant-on when im offroad. back light (gaint aero) is attached to seatstay and it's in slow flashing mode at all time. No helmet nor backpack lights.

Back
Top Bottom