Flashing Bios from a different motherboard? Asus p8h61-i

Associate
OP
I would say 100% after just 2 boards but its seems that it works :)

i run into a minor problem... when i unplug the mother board from the wall when i turn it on sometimes my clock and date resets to 2005 ... all other settings stay ok... i checked the battery but its fine... need to investigate further

Associate
OP
so after a bit of testing I must say it was not a ideal solution

problem still exist... motherboard has a problem after cold boot.... clock resets itself and it show "press f1 to enter bios .... " whats funny after doing that (f1 just to enter the bios then ctrl-alt-del) motherboarad boots and all the old setting accept clock are the way they were before..

it was bothering me and i decided to go back to rm bios and sell the board ... unfortunately after flashing the chip with RM bios board doesn't boot :/ i flashed asus bios again and it works.... so now i have a semi working board ... :/

Last edited:
Associate
Replied back to pm with a link to the stock bios I created using the bios programmer

For everyone else, I've just fired up my board again which has been in the cupboard unplugged for weeks and I've got none of those cold boot clock issues. Can't think of a good reason why the old bios chip wouldn't work either TBH

Associate
Bit late to the party but measuring the voltage isn't an accurate way of checking the health of a battery. I would still try another in there to rule it out. Presumably the clear CMOS jumper is as it should be? Does it do it every boot or just sometimes?

Associate
OP
late update... i figure it out .. i pulled the battery out completely and it was doing same thing...
it turns out that i broke one of the pins of the battery holder thingy so it was not contacting the motherboard :/ trying to fix it now :>

edit: i can't melt the solder on the motherboard to remove to holder.. :/ my soldering iron is to weak... but i've noticed that if i push it towards the ram slot it mages contact ... and it solves the problem... i still need some more permanent solution but at least we know that its not bios fault..

solution for now :)
LseU5Wn.jpg

there are 3 pins on the other side of the motherboard .... 2 for + (flat side of the battery) and one for - ....
that one closer to ram slot doesn't make connection... after pressing it towards the ram slot with that zip cable tie mobo boots every single time maintaining the clock an settings ..

Last edited:
Associate
just bumping this thread, bought one of these boards yesterday & would have been lost without this thread! Thanks Guys!
my i5 3470 is now working great!

one thing to add..
i have the board fully working without a hardware bios flasher,

i used aufdos.exe to flash 909 from dos with /x
then reflashed with 909 using /P
& then again with /K (although i dont think this was needed)

so did this:

afudos mybios.rom /X
afudos mybios.rom /P
afudos mybios.rom /B
afudos mybios.rom /K

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-AMI-Bios-flash-tool-AFUDOS-EXE
although according to the bios mods thred i could have done a:
afudos mybios.rom /P /B /N /C /E /K /X

but for some reason it didn't like flashing the nvram & didnt have a /c switch.
just an option for those that dont want to buy a flasher :)
of course do this at your own risk & do a /O to backup the original RM computers rom 1st

Associate
I know this is old thread but I have one of these boards any chance some one could do a bios chip for me with the latest bios on I will of course pay for the chip and shipping.

Did you resolve the ram issues with it not allowing to change speeds?

I have found ram support on original bios is so poor i have tried many different sticks and it just wont accept them.

Another annoying thing is their doesn't appear to be a speaker connection on this board.

Soldato
Another bump of this thread - I've picked this board up recently. It came with BIOS 1401 from 2013 which supports Ivy CPUs but it won't actually post from a cold boot, I have to hold down the power button to shut it off and then power it back up. It then won't actually show anything (my monitor will light up "black" so receiving a signal apparently) until it reaches Windows. It also won't seem to accept RAM beyond 1333MHz, which is annoying as I have 8GB 2133MHz RAM in their!

I probably should have just got a retail board (I didn't know it was an RM motherboard!)

I'm going to try flashing the standard P8H61-I LX rev 2 BIOS on it to see what happens.

Soldato
Did you manage to get any further with this? I have tried to update to the latest BIOS for the non RM board but it comes up with security identifier issue. Fine, So i tried afudos.exe bios.rom(Converted from a .cap to a .rom using UEFItool.ext) but it now says Error: BIOS does not support AFU...

Any help?

Back
Top Bottom