Flashing Bios from a different motherboard? Asus p8h61-i

Associate
OP
I inspected the motherboard thoroughly when I bought it.. And it's working fine with that 2400s so I don't think it's a problem with the motherboard

Associate
OP
If that doesn't work there is one other thing you could try. Asus still use removeable bios chips on their boards so although I can't see yours (it's behind the cmos battery) it should be the same as the board above. You could go on Ebay and pick up a bios chip for the P8H61-I which has been flashed to the latest bios and swap it over with your boards chip. That way if it bricks the board all you have to do is swap your own bios chip back. Cost would be less than a tenner.
Yeah... I was considering this as well. There are even listings on eBay that offer flashing the chip with selected rom but I don't really want to spend more money on it. I just bought it to do a project. Spending more money on it will be my last resort

Associate
They both fit the same socket which has 1155 pins. All it should take is a bios revision that has a updated microcode and both Sandybridge and Ivybridge should work in it.
Jeez, did you even read the whole thread?
I have edited his bios and added support for Ivybridge and it didnt work so looking for a solution i suggested pins in motherboard might be bend and op said his i5 2400s works fine so should his i7 3770K, that is why i have said I7 3770K uses extra pins towards center then I5 2400s.
I5 2400s on left, I7 2700K Sandybridge center, i7 3770K Ivybridge on right, see right hand side of center core... I never said its a different socket..... lol : )
http://is.alicdn.com/img/pb/599/372/694/694372599_151.jpg
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1914/3770-pins.jpg

** Do Not Hotlink Images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I didnt want to get too technical and was pointing out the fact pin layouts of the cpus are not same and I7 3770K uses more pins then i5 2400s as ivybridge needs more power for higher transistor count. See image below...Ivybridge on left, sandybridge on right... a bend pin thats not in use in sandybridge might not cause an issue while same pin in ivybridge could cause issues... anyway hope it goes well with your board, good luck : )

https://image.ibb.co/nexHbG/1155_pin_layouts.jpg

Hotlinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Hi all, sorry to drudge this up a bit, but I found this thread while searching for info about these weird RM education boards that I picked up cheap on eBay. I was planning on getting a cheapie 3rd gen i5, so the lack of bios updates was a bit of a problem for me

I decided to get a new bios chip, program it up with the stock P8H68-I bios, which took without any problems.

As a rough guide, I bought a CH341A programmer from eBay for £4 and another W25Q64 25X64 64M DIP8 FLASH BIOS Chip so I could just put back in the old bios chip if anything went wrong. Used the CH341A programmer software to flash the firmware 0909 rom file (latest version for P8H68-I), popped out the old chip, put in the new one and no more RM Education splash screen, so that's a good start!

I could have done all this with the existing bios (possibly by force flashing the bios) but I didn't want to risk it since it's largely untested on the internet. I'm yet to test with an Ivy Bridge CPU, but I'd be very surprised if this now behaves any differently to a stock P8H68-I (minus the HDMI + extra USB headers)

Associate
OP
what cpu you have in it right now? can you provide some screenshots and pics?
sorry to be sceptical but i don't want to kill my board as i said earlier. I need it for a project..

Associate
It's got a i3-2100T in there at the moment. No worries on the pics, grabbed a cpu-z and speccy screenshot along with one of the board that's currently sat on the floor in front of my desk, so you can see it's the nerfed version without hdmi and extra usb headers

Let me know if you need any more information! Will update back when I upgrade to Ivy Bridge, not sure when I'll do that yet as they seem to have gone up in price since I last checked :(

Associate
OP
can you check if you can set ram speed to anything other than 1333? cause i cant with the original bios.. it wont boot

edit:
i decided to try ... force flashing with afudos is not as straight forward as i hoped. but adding /X (don't check romid) solved my problem.... mobo booted with asus splash screen..but windows decided to trow an INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after loading... not related to new bios probably cause i had that problem before.... will report after booting to windows :>

edit2: i fixed windows ... mobo works. 1600 memory still doesn't work... none of the ram settings works. i can lower or increase ram speed but its stays at 1333.. same with cpu settings ... disabling 2 cores does nothing.
i went back to rm bios and i can lower memory to 1066 or change timings etc ... so new bios is not fully compatible with our mobo

can you test that for me please?
Maybe later I will take out my i3 3225 from my server and i'll check if it works..

one more thing... i wanted to flash 0909 again using ez flash but I can't .. it still thinks its a different board apparently but it lets me flash backup bios...

Last edited:
Associate
Couldn't get 1600mhz ram to run at full speed either, installed a stick and it ran at 1333mhz by default. Hiked up the speed in the bios and failed to start. I know the older i3's like my current 2100T were always a bit funny about memory speeds, not sure I agree about new bios not being fully compatible just because ram speeds are a bit suspect.

Just remembered that I've got a G1610 kicking around. Will give that a go, not ideal test case, but at least it's Ivy Bridge

/edit yep, that worked.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes to all three questions. Re-flashed the 0909 bios from a fat32 usb stick after starting EZ Flash 2 from inside the bios without any issues

Associate
OP
hmm that means that flashing a chip is a better solution than flashing bios with afudos .. :/
would you be able to flash your old bios chip with 0909 and send it to me by post? i'll pay of course

unless you know a better way to flash the bios

edit:
is that what you bought ?
Zt0XGxK.jpg.png

Last edited:
Associate
Sadly I bent the pins on my old bios was trying to gently lever it out from each side. Might be re-bendable but I wouldn't want to chance it or sell it really.

That looks like the stuff I bought. You put the bios chip into the 25xx position on the programmer in the orientation shown on the PCB, open the .ROM file in the programmer software, press the write button and you're done. All very painless (apart from the schoolboy error bending the pins on the old chip

Back
Top Bottom