Flat earth brigade - I have no words

Associate
I was thinking this. Isn't the gps coordinate system for a round planet? long and lat? So unless you use the correct maths. I.E. For a sphere the results will be wrong. Of course the height shows the same as its measured from a set point. The centre of the planet.

Soldato
Far more than I thought, but where do we have two such buildings.
And how does it prove anything?

well the problem is when it comes to measurement there's a lot of assumptions to be made, for example that both buildings are pointing straight up and not angled at all, and that the particular bit of earth you've got them on exactly follows the known circular radius. and as dowie rightly pointed out really tall buildings will sway from other factors.

and that's before you get to the ridiculous notion of using orbital satellites to prove the earth is round- if you accept gravity works in order for orbits (and the satellites in those orbits) to work but don't accept that it's the exact same reason the earth is round then there's no hope left.

Caporegime
there is a bit of irony in them using GPS to confirm their position when conducting these experiments... what exactly is their explanation for that?

Soldato
there is a bit of irony in them using GPS to confirm their position when conducting these experiments... what exactly is their explanation for that?

this is the problem i have- claiming that we shouldn't accept these things that have been "drilled into us" while at the exact same time using equally established science as a basis for their "argument"

Soldato
I don't understand what you are saying to be honest.
Here's a picture, in my low IQ brain if there is a curvature, the tops of the building would be wider apart than the bottom!

convexearth1.jpg

As they said and as you’re diagram shows you are further apart if at the top of 2 tall buildings. I haven't watched the video to find out exactly how they did it but the most probable problem is the GPS. GPS uses numerous satellites to pin point your position however the easiest way I can think to explain this would be imagine there is a camera looking straight down on to both of your buildings. You're watching both feeds from the cameras at the same time. Person A walks in to the left building, Person B in to the right. As they walk down the street and in to the buildings you will see them move as they are moving in the x, y co-ordinates. Both people then get in to the elevator on the ground floor and it takes them to the top floor - from your perspective they haven't moved. Their x, y co-ordinates will be exactly the same whether on the ground floor or the top floor but in reality they have gotten further apart.

Edit: Also as pointed out above, I didn't pick up the irony of using GPS to prove the Earth is flat :D

Man of Honour
The comments on the video Freebird linked to are enlightening.
Apparently the ideas of the Convex Earth video came from one in 2011 which claimed an Alien told the film maker what experiments to do.
He was also sent to prison for committing fraud saying he could do Faith Healing.

Associate
Is it not just that New forms of media give morons a platform to be seen on and connect with each other, and tv is so dire now it will report on any dribble for views.

Soldato
What beggars belief is that our culture has become so accepting of complete idiocy, to the point, we are happy to give it time, and give it a stage.
so much this......at some point you have to stop trying to educate or convince these sorts of people. when that fails, I don't know what we should resort to with them. putting them 'down' is maybe a bit extreme but maybe a slap in the mouth is called for?! :p

Associate
Use of social media and modern media by enemies of the modern world to undermine trust in science, government and the western world. Lizards.

could also be crazies being crazy....

or anything in between....

or a loaf of Hovis.

banana

Soldato
Is it not just that New forms of media give morons a platform to be seen on and connect with each other, and tv is so dire now it will report on any dribble for views.

this seems reasonable...I always think the worst thing about youtube/soundcloud etc is the amount of pish you get from the loonies!

Back
Top Bottom