Flying Drones over National Trusts - Who knows the correct laws in place ?

Associate
Flying Drones over National Trusts - Who knows the correct laws in place ?

I have noticed a lot of signs going up on the coastlines saying do not fly but how is this enforced ?? What is the likely outcome if you do fly in these areas ? My understanding is non of the national trust sites have any Bylaws in place currently ? or have a missed them ?

If I fly from of the private land I take it I shouldn't run in to any issues as long as I follow the UK Drone Laws ?

As I've said I do not see any bylaws in place for any National trust sites just signs saying not to fly.

Caporegime
Isn't National Trust land private which means they can tell you want you can and can't do on it, much like a garden.

Another large negative tick for the National Trust. The sooner they disappear the better. Ostensibly they help on some places but a lot of the time all they really do is damage things.:(

Soldato
Isn't National Trust land private which means they can tell you want you can and can't do on it, much like a garden.

Another large negative tick for the National Trust. The sooner they disappear the better. Ostensibly they help on some places but a lot of the time all they really do is damage things.:(

NT membership is growing - IIRC only the AA has more members of an UK organisation - so they aren't going anywhere. Who would take on looking after all the properties? Public sector certainly can't afford to.

I'm interested on balanced sources on them damaging things though, so links please.

Caporegime
The issue is less their buildings, rather their management of natural areas. That includes part of the coast and significant areas of moorland. National Trust management of these areas usually consists of building large car parks, paths and amenities next to otherwise empty natural areas then subsequently restricting access to significant portions after finding the area can't cope with the increased traffic. All in all usually meaning those that knew about that area prior to the "regeneration" come back to something that has been severely damaged.

Their management of moorland and hillside is similar, but also includes backing of damaging farming techniques and a the insistence of keeping "as is" rather than letting regeneration/rewilding happen*. This is especially prevelant on upland areas that are essentially monocultural wastelands with nature taking a back seat to grouse, deer and sheep farming.

The NT is a company like any other, a company that needs growing membership and increased footfall to buy more land. People have a rose tinted view of them, even though they also do plenty of good with old properties and (*admittedly increasingly in the last couple of years) some old estates - the "R" word is becoming less of a rude word to them.

I'm sure you'll disagree and that's fine, a lot of it comes down to whether you see the future of the UK as a continuation of heavily managed/damaged areas that are seen as natural (British countryside) with a significant detriment to most British wildlife, or you see it as Blakes green and pleasant land and would rather it didn't change back to what it was before human intervention.

The issue is, I'm sure it's not trying to do this, but it's a trust that's inherently conservative by design. Add to that it's mandate to allow people access to otherwise inaccessible areas and you end up with an organization that will inherently damage the landscape and position itself as a protector of "what is", rather than what it was and can be. In the last couple of years they have been dragging themselves up on the rewilding front, but I'm not sure how they can ever sort themselves out on the access issues.

Going back to the OP the issue is the NT own and manage a significant amount of the UKs coast and upland areas, as well as the old country estates (it's the second largest landowner in the country). That's a significant amount of land that their wholesale hand waving has now banned drones on. Most of which you could quite safely fly a drone in.

Last edited:
Associate
IMO drones are either the new craze or the new menace !
Depending upon their use and application in certain areas. From my studies many years ago a home owner also owns the sky above their property. So an interesting argument is aircraft flying over housing estates to and from an airport. should the plane aeek permission from each household concerned ! ?
Perhaps because the planes fly to high and fast to have privacy concern. So apart from health and safety the next issue must be privacy. Would i want my neighbour watching me with a drone 30 meters high over my garden.
Would i be legally allowed to take it out with an air rifle. As an air rifle these days has come a long way since i was a teenager. They look more like a weapon so special forces may use !

Soldato
IMO drones are either the new craze or the new menace !
Depending upon their use and application in certain areas. From my studies many years ago a home owner also owns the sky above their property. So an interesting argument is aircraft flying over housing estates to and from an airport. should the plane aeek permission from each household concerned ! ?
Perhaps because the planes fly to high and fast to have privacy concern. So apart from health and safety the next issue must be privacy. Would i want my neighbour watching me with a drone 30 meters high over my garden.
Would i be legally allowed to take it out with an air rifle. As an air rifle these days has come a long way since i was a teenager. They look more like a weapon so special forces may use !

I can't see why people think they are a menace and I certainly don't understand why people have a witch hunt for them, most not understanding what the drones are capable of. I use it as a means of expanding on my Photography etc and why not.

You say that you own the sky above it, you really don't. Drone code is to stay 50M away from people/properties, 150M in Built up areas. Below that you may have a case but you totally misunderstand things if you think you can claim aerial trespass on something like a plane..

As for shooting it down what do you think? you can't fire a bullet beyond the land you own (unless you have express permission from border owner).. You are also limited where you shoot, can't close to highways/public etc.

Personally I think air rifles should be banned, together with dogs, screaming kids and anything else that annoy me.

Associate
You say that you own the sky above it, you really don't. Drone code is to stay 50M away from people/properties, 150M in Built up areas. Below that you may have a case but you totally misunderstand things if you think you can claim aerial trespass on something like a plane..

Actually, you really do.

You own the space above any freehold property up to a reasonable height and can take action (legal action not destroying something) against anything that prevents you from reasonably enjoying the land or anything upon it. Above a certain height, think its around 500ft then it falls into aviation rules. Similarly if your property is freehold you own all the land underneath it to the centre of the Earth. Perversely, you do not however have ownership of any mineral or oil rights within that same area.

Associate
Actually, you really do.

You own the space above any freehold property up to a reasonable height and can take action (legal action not destroying something) against anything that prevents you from reasonably enjoying the land or anything upon it. Above a certain height, think its around 500ft then it falls into aviation rules. Similarly if your property is freehold you own all the land underneath it to the centre of the Earth. Perversely, you do not however have ownership of any mineral or oil rights within that same area.

Well every day is a school day .. !

So what is the law regarding oil and minerals below a freehold property ! ?

Man of Honour
I can't see why people think they are a menace and I certainly don't understand why people have a witch hunt for them

As with many things its ruined for those who are using them without a problem by a small number of people who have no regard or consideration for other people and/or utilising them in potentially dangerous ways with in some cases a lack of common sense.

Soldato
Actually, you really do.

Which is why I said "aerial trespass on something like a plane.." because yes you do own a space above it but not the sky - the space is not now considered infinite and if anything will be lowered because of drones. So as I said you have no chance of claiming trespass on a plane, but if it's that close then you have more to worry about :)

Soldato
As with many things its ruined for those who are using them without a problem by a small number of people who have no regard or consideration for other people and/or utilising them in potentially dangerous ways with in some cases a lack of common sense.

Unfortunately that is the case, but it's the same with everything. People are using cars and vans to kill people, is the answer to ban all cars and vans?

People who use Drones should be educated in Drone Code, maybe some restrictions in sales etc however the answer is not to just ban drone use everywhere. Those who don't fly them need to be educated too.

Luckily I have only had one run in with the anti-drone squad who just come up to us and said 'do you know it is illegal to fly here, land or I'm phoning the police' to which I replied 'go ahead phone them' (together with a few other words). I'm well aware of the rules and use apps etc to check no fly zones so some idiot claiming it's illegal really annoyed me.

Caporegime
There is probably some grounds to ban drone in urban areas with exceptions for some professionals. This is already the case in many cities. this is just an obvious safety issue, some of the drones are pretty heavy and if they lost control and fell out the sky on someones car/child/greenhouse/property some serious damage or injuries could occur.

Out in the countryside there is no real issue IMO. With the massive increase in popularity they can be a bit annoying disturbing the peace.

Associate
Well every day is a school day .. !

So what is the law regarding oil and minerals below a freehold property ! ?

If I recall correctly all mineral/oil rights belong to the Crown. Something in the back of my mind also tells me that technically the Crown is still the owner of the entire Kingdom and that whilst you may 'own' the freehold, i.e. you can within the law do anything you wish to the land or on it, it still belongs to the Crown. Someone more legally minded in land law may be able to confirm this.

Getting back on track, apparently some Drones now come with no-fly zones within their software/programs. Its going to happen here sooner rather than later. I also suspect that you will require a licence irrespective of whether or not you're flying for commercial purposes.

Soldato
Getting back on track, apparently some Drones now come with no-fly zones within their software/programs. Its going to happen here sooner rather than later. I also suspect that you will require a licence irrespective of whether or not you're flying for commercial purposes.

Yeah DJI introduced mandatory registering otherwise it restricted the drones use. It has no-fly zone features which warn you when you are in certain areas and in certain locations will automatically stop you flying. Unfortunatly some people have reported it stopping them flying even when they are in a safe area so it needs some work. I haven't run into any problem with the new firmware though.

Caporegime
In the lake district, as long as you have permission from landowner to take off / land, it's drone code as usual...

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/thingstodo/drones

Which means that any National Trust land in the Lake District is closed to drones, which may well be significantly more than you realise. Same with a significant proportion of the Devon and Cornish coast.

There is probably some grounds to ban drone in urban areas with exceptions for some professionals. This is already the case in many cities. this is just an obvious safety issue, some of the drones are pretty heavy and if they lost control and fell out the sky on someones car/child/greenhouse/property some serious damage or injuries could occur.

Out in the countryside there is no real issue IMO. With the massive increase in popularity they can be a bit annoying disturbing the peace.

It basically is. The 50m rule will mean it's basically impossible to fly one legally in a built up area.

Soldato
Yep, while small toy drones are light bigger ones are easily heavy enough to cause injury if they fall after losing power from empty battery/power failure or crash because of some control system failure.

Yeah DJI introduced mandatory registering otherwise it restricted the drones use. It has no-fly zone features which warn you when you are in certain areas and in certain locations will automatically stop you flying. Unfortunatly some people have reported it stopping them flying even when they are in a safe area so it needs some work. I haven't run into any problem with the new firmware though.
DJI has nothing on that.
Just check Yuneec's no-fly zones.
Looks like every single airfield has some 10km diameter no-fly zone.
Including even originally small private fields with likely about zero use nowadays.

Associate

When the GoPro karma drones just started falling out the sky. That's when I thought some new laws for drones might be introduced. As owners my have been flying responsible. However when mechanical breakdown occurs how will the public and property that needs to be protected !
A drone falling on me from 200m will hurt like hell. Be it s toy or professional models !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom