FM2 ITX Motherboards!

Also did you manage to make 2133mhz memory work?

I have some Samsung Green (2x4GB) in there now in attempt to reduce overall heat in the case. Does anyone know where to get some heat spreaders that fit this tiny memory?

It will boot at 1866 and 2133. However CPU-Z says DRAM frequency is 798.5Mhz, NB Frequency 1397.4Mhz

In SPD, I have Max Bandwidth - PC3-12800 (800 MHz). The BIOS has voltage settings for RAM, but it doesn't tell you what it is currently on (on AUTO).

Last edited:
Yeah, I supposed its gonna be tricky with new mobos. Judging from pictures just announced zotacs itx fm2 gonna fit nicely but probably will be over £100.

I gave up on this build probably till next amd apu generation and going for intel in sg05 case.

Thanks for taking time to share your experience

The Zotac would be perfect (well apart from lack of CIR).

If your going for a HTPC - then AMD is the place to be. I have 23.976 Hz in Media Player Classic. This means 0 dropped frames!! Compared to Intel, you get a dropped frame every 5 minutes.

AMD are to transition to 28nm next year. A6 5400K is really great for 50 quid.

Hey tutu, I was considering building myself a HTPC to replace my now defunct Boxee Box. I have a budget of approx £200-300 and would prefer a Mini-ITX any suggestions of build out?

I would look at maybe:

A6 5400K
MSI FM2 ITX or ASRock FM2 ITX motherboard (both a bit of rip off but not more choice)
Streacom FC7 EVO
Any DDR3 1866 RAM (say Samsung Green 2 x 4GB) - 4GB will be fine for Linux
SSD - any 32GB SSD (for Linux), 64GB for Windows (for a bit of spare room)
Streacom IR receiver or ASRock CIR header (or external USB IR receiver)
MCE Remote or use a Harmony remote
Any cheap Blu-ray drive (laptop style with a bezel - slot load is the one I got, but costs more)
PICO 120W PSU + 120W AC Adapter

Alternatively, a Intel ITX Motherboard with a 35W or 65W CPU (Pentium is fine for 2D, you need Core i3 for 3D)

Or if you prefer, get a mATX case like the popular Silverstone HTPC cases with a cheaper ATX PSU

For software, Windows 8 + XBMC Launcher or XBMCUbuntu or OpenELEC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom