1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding@home News 18th - 25th Feb 2011

Discussion in 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects' started by dekez, Feb 25, 2011.

1. BaBa

Hitman

If your running windows its easy to setup with the gpu tracker see the folding setup guide for details:)

Edit:Dekez beat me to it:D

2. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

Hey that looks great thanks, will it auto detect my 5770 and run ok ? :cool: also whats OCUK'S team ID, name, etc ill need to contribute ?

Thanks

3. Biffa

Man of Honour

Name: OcUk
    Team: 10

Should work with teh 5770 but don't expect great performance.

4. BaBa

Hitman

Just seen a post by Tear on the folding forum of his 4p opteron system running bigadv 6901 on linux, frame times 6min 40seconds (350k ppd):eek:

Thats with slighty slower processors than mine and he has bested me by 2mins and 18 sec a frame, break out the linux distros:D

5. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

Really ? thats random, id of thought the 5770's would of wiped the floor being GPU's :eek: im running the program now, seems its just stuck on downloading FAH clients from stanford?

EDIT: Fails :(

this is the error report:

6. dekez

Mobster

:eek: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! :(

7. Biffa

Man of Honour

Yeah saw that, they have really tweaked the bigadv stuff for heavy iron this time around, however it does seem that the windows code is not as optimised as the Linux code this time round. Will be interesting to see if there are any changes in future versions.

I could switch Gemini over to Linux I guess, its only a VMWare box and that runs on Linux fine. I've certainly noticed a drop in performance since switching to 6.34 and the A5 wu's

8. Snapshot

Mobster

I think you'll need to disable Crossfire to get folding to work but it's really not worth it on ATI GPUs at present. Stanford keep promising a new ATI client but they're heavily sponsored by Nvidia.....

9. dekez

Mobster

I've been dreading the day I have to learn linux, but I always knew it would come. :(

Currently I'm running WHS which is 32bit, so I assume even if I ran a vm with linux folding it wouldn't be able to take advantage of 64bit.

So I think the sensible (if somewhat PITA) option would be to set up the machine running linux. Most of the things that I would want to do - PS3 media server, sabnzb+, file sharing etc work fine on linux.

Don't know how well it mixes with the windows machines on my network for backups or how remote access works but I would assume it could handle those sort of things, it's pretty basic stuff.

Bonus is I can get another 4 gig of ram and house all of my virtual machines for learning on the server, instead of what I do now of having them spread over a few machines.

Anyone know if it is possible to build and test the linux machine as a virtual machine then create an image for the machine and move it to the actual machine? I know nothing about linux, I had a play with ubuntu before is this still the easiest for beginners?

10. Biffa

Man of Honour

I would buy another hard drive mate, put it in and install linux on that. Then you can just boot back to winders if you need to.

11. dekez

Mobster

Cheers that is a very good idea.

12. sculptor

Hitman

Im selling some networking gear on MM if any of you guys are interested.
    An 8 port and a 5 port ethernet switch.
    I have 2 4 port KVM switchs to sell although only one on the MM at the mo.
    sculptor:)

13. dekez

Mobster

Any old HDDs lying around? :D I've started a wanted thread.

14. sculptor

Hitman

I should have a few 40GB IDE ones, would need to check they are OK if they are you can have them for the postage cost.

15. dekez

Mobster

Thanks for the offer but it needs to be SATA, blimin sandybridge modernising! :)

16. sculptor

Hitman

Just thought I have a couple of WD Raptors 35GB models early ones, they are noisy they hiss and clunck but just seem to keep going, again Id only want postage cost for them.

17. dekez

Mobster

They would be great thank you :) sending you a trust email now...

18. Delboy

Mobster

Anyone else struggling to get bigadv WUs at the moment. My 2600k is only downloading normal smp wus :(

19. Biffa

Man of Honour

No all good here with bigadv.

1. Did you upgrade the client to 6.34?
    2. Have you had any failed WU's lately?

20. Delboy

Mobster

1. No.
    2. No.

Will update and see how that goes.