Folding@Home News - Attention Single-Machine Crunchers

Permabanned
A member of my team is folding with 115000 PPD all out of his house lol. Mental, 24/7 folding and only used for that. Some people have way too much money.

Any guestimmates of what ppd i will get with an i7 @ 4ghz + a 275GTX ?

Associate
I find it amazing how high outputs have grown in the year or so I've been away. I think I was getting 60ppd at one point.

Does it use more leccy running on a GPU, than a CPU, if you disregard the ppd aspect? I suppose you have to look at the power consumption of a graphics card at full use, compared to the CPU flat out.

Soldato
A member of my team is folding with 115000 PPD all out of his house lol. Mental, 24/7 folding and only used for that. Some people have way too much money.

Any guestimmates of what ppd i will get with an i7 @ 4ghz + a 275GTX ?

Around 6-8K PPD for an overclocked 275 and around 7-8K PPD for the i7 if it's running two Linux SMPs under Virtual Machines/native Linux etc.

I find it amazing how high outputs have grown in the year or so I've been away. I think I was getting 60ppd at one point.

Does it use more leccy running on a GPU, than a CPU, if you disregard the ppd aspect? I suppose you have to look at the power consumption of a graphics card at full use, compared to the CPU flat out.

You would get more PPD for your money running a GPU for folding, something like a 8800GS, 9600GSO etc.

Soldato
I have only been folding for a short while and I once got ranked in the top 60 and I think I was at something like 58 but then I saw people who had been folding for half an hour suddenly overtake me in minutes and I kind of knew that I will never get that much.

I still do it but only cos of habit.

Its a shame cos I own 13 PCs and all are dual or Quad core, and with their GPUs I would be folding with... Hang on, let me do some math ( 5 Quad Core, 6 Dual and 2 Single core, so tahts 34 CPU cores in total, plus 3 SLI systems, and 10 single GPU so thats 16 GPU cores...

Hmm... Maybe just run them one cores to see what my scores jump to?

Sod it, it costs too much electricity.

Associate
I have only been folding for a short while and I once got ranked in the top 60 and I think I was at something like 58 but then I saw people who had been folding for half an hour suddenly overtake me in minutes and I kind of knew that I will never get that much.

I still do it but only cos of habit.

Its a shame cos I own 13 PCs and all are dual or Quad core, and with their GPUs I would be folding with... Hang on, let me do some math ( 5 Quad Core, 6 Dual and 2 Single core, so tahts 34 CPU cores in total, plus 3 SLI systems, and 10 single GPU so thats 16 GPU cores...

Hmm... Maybe just run them one cores to see what my scores jump to?

Sod it, it costs too much electricity.

Wow if i had that little lot at my disposal i would be trying to squeeze every single PPD out of them.
Although i think i would aslo need shares in one of the uk energy companies as well.

Soldato
Unless what crashes?

The Game or the Folding Client?

Well, yes, but thats a little obvious that it will slow down if it crashes dont you think? Slows-down to the the point of stopping I recon. LOL

Seriously though, FAH does hang far too often, I have this last 2 weeks alone had to restart my clients 5 or 6 times and its started from 0% again even though its been some way through folding somehting.

But I find that leaving it to its stuff, is sometimes the best thing you can do and eventually it will sort itself out, but never have I found it slowing a PC down to the point of you being able to notice it.

Back
Top Bottom