Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 20th January 2006

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Concorde Rules said:
I had 9 tinkers this week, however the 364 pointers are back on each Core :D

Conc

I'm getting a few of these now - my laptop loves them (the San Diego quite likes them too)

Code:
-- Lisa --

Min. Time / Frame : 9mn 54s - 529.45 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 10mn 00s - 524.16 ppd

-- Bart --

Min. Time / Frame : 13mn 17s - 394.60 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 13mn 17s - 394.60 ppd
:cool:

Stan :)

Associate
I just had a weird Woo event...:

[13:56:20] Finished a frame (370)
[13:58:07]
[13:58:07] Received faulty work unit.
[13:58:17] logfile size: 332800
[13:58:18] - Writing 333312 bytes of core data to disk.
[13:58:18] end (WriteWorkResults)
[13:58:18]
[13:58:18] Folding@home Core Shutdown: BAD_WORK_UNIT
[13:58:21] CoreStatus = 72 (114)
[13:58:21] Sending work to server

[13:58:21] + Attempting to send results
[13:58:27] + Results successfully sent
[13:58:27] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.

Soldato
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
I've got a few bits up on the testing forum. I'd love it if you folks went over and read it and told me what to change to make it better. I have much more to add but the lion's share is there.
Sorry I haven't been around all day - just had a very quick look and it does look mightily spangly - very nice work :)
I particularly like the detail in the Registry Editing section - very important as many people aren't too keen on playing with the registry without a full guide

I will try to give it a more thorough read tomorrow - great work so far though for sure :cool:

BillytheImpaler said:
Who is the team founder anyhow?
I believe Berserker managed to get founder status signed over to him as nobody could remember who'd actually started it and they seemed to have been long gone
As for photoshop wizards there are plenty on the forums - maybe worth trying in the Graphics & Programming section if you have a rough idea of what you want

Man of Honour
rich99million said:
I believe Berserker managed to get founder status signed over to him as nobody could remember who'd actually started it and they seemed to have been long gone
No, I didn't. I did manage to contact the real founder, and a transfer was being worked on, but it all went quiet after that. I'll try again if needed.

Man of Honour
I have my second machne up and running, just need a to order a wireless network card and router as the second PC is going in the garage and to be left running..

I'm hoping to reach the 3,000 mark by Friday morning - would be cool to finish the week in the a position > 159! :D

Associate
Ouch, my socket a *sempron* 24/7 machine got hit by a 600 pointer (10 days left :p). Is there any way to transfer the core between computers? Id rather it goes on my opty after this 600 pointer is done

Man of Honour
Soldato
Sure you can sneakernet it. Just stop the service from running by using services.msc. Once it's off copy the "work" file to disk. Take that disk to the other machine. DUplicate the process to get the opty WU over to the semperon. Restart both services and it'll start crunching.

Soldato
Cut the work folder. I think Billy means duplicate as in, do the same process again to get the WU from the Opty to the Sempron :)

10 days is a very long time even for a Sempron - that's 60ppd. My old AthlonXP could do them with about 250ppd. Something up?

Associate
The opty finishes in 1 hour so thats fine, a nice 600 points along with it :). Its gone up to about 80 but its a sempron 2200+ with a load of old parts and half the cache of the athlons so i'm not expecting much. It gets upgraded to a A64 3000+ soon anyhow. I'll just check the opty doesn't get another 600 pointer :)

Man of Honour
Soldato
Yeah, that is me. I founded that team in June when I switched over from SETI Classic. At the time it was just a team for my friends and me. I changed my team's name and opened it up to the Hack-a-Day hardware mod community and it took off like a rocket. We had no forum or other means of communication so in the mean time I rediscovered this forum. I'd been lurking on this forum since I discovered it on the top teams list in SETI Classic. If I needed help or could answer a question for someone, this was the place to do it.

We have a forum now and it's very nice but I still post over here becasue I like the OcUK community. I also fold for team 10 under the name BillytheImplaer (OcUK). at its inception I would never have imagined that we'd become as big as we did. My friends and I were going banannas when 10 people had signed up for our little team. Now we're up to 1350 members and we're 13th in overall production. Crazy.

Man of Honour
BillytheImpaler said:
We have a forum now and it's very nice but I still post over here becasue I like the OcUK community. I also fold for team 10 under the name BillytheImplaer (OcUK). at its inception I would never have imagined that we'd become as big as we did. My friends and I were going banannas when 10 people had signed up for our little team. Now we're up to 1350 members and we're 13th in overall production. Crazy.
That's pretty much what happened with us and SETI Classic back in '02/'03. A few individuals helped set things off, and they went ballistic from there.

Shame we can't seem to light a fire under the team now. :(

Man of Honour
Soldato
Berserker said:
Shame we can't seem to light a fire under the team now. :(

The problem, if you could call it that, is the same problem that faces any democratic organization; faction. When SETI Classic went caput in the summer of 2004 there were a great many SETI Classic crunchers who did not want to switch to SETI BOINC. BOINC allows for participation in multiple projects so some of those who used to do exclusively SETI now are branched out to other DC projects.

OcUK is highly ranked in many projects, especially SETI. Heck, we won SETI Classic thanks in no small part to OcUK having the No. 1 and No. 2 crunchers in the entire world. We're currently 10th in SETI BOINC and we're highly ranked in a number of other projects. If we wanted to get to the top of anything we'll have to focus and eliminate the factioned crunching. this is unlikely to happen.

If all OcUK DC participants were on a single project there is no doubt that we would do very well that project. There are just too many projects running to be completely dominant. I don't think that will ever happen nor do i think it should ever happen. People are free to do waht they wish with their electricity and their MIPS.

As far as recruitment goes it could be said that we're very close to having reached critical mass. The trickle of new members is great but of the total OcUK population of possible crunchers it's very small. One could theorize that most of the people who are willing to try DC already have done so. the trick now is getting people to try it, even if just for a bit. We all know how addictive it can be.

I look at the example of FAH Team Engadget. Engadget is Hack-a-Day's sister blog. When Team Hack-a-Day started FAH and got it pimped out to the front page where thousands or millions of people read it a few engadget readers founded a team. About a month later there about a dozen team members. The site editors heard about it and decided to give team hack-a-Day a run for its money. They decided to give something away to a lucky folder every month just to get people interested. In two weeks they were outputting 100kppd and were poised to stomp us.

We could try a similar ploy. I remember a few months back there was talk of setting up a contest where Sculptor was to give away an extra CPU. I don't know what happened to that or if the prize is still abailable. We could spam GD with a contest where one enters by posting their Folding username and a link to their EOC page. We would then feed the entered names into a script that would randomly assign a number to that name. We'd run it a few million times, adding the numbers together at each cycle. After about 10,000,000 cycles whoever's name had the highest number would be the lucky winner. the contest should span a few weeks or even a month. That way the users can have a chance to get addicted. :D

Ideas? Feel free to shoot me down. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom