Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 22nd June 2006

Soldato
It already is, people post instead of polling.
If anything it might save us some spam, but i can't see it making it any worse myself. And seeing as it is the genral discussion, and most things are spam, it wouldn't do any harm.

I'm just annoyed that he locked my thread.

Soldato
Mikey1280 said:
GH is usually pretty busy all the time, sunday should be fine. What's the theme gonna be?
It will be a poll 'Why aren't you folding'?

with the options in the folding myths section in the quick guide and the responses to those myths in my post. There may be a few extra options aswell.

Does anyone know what the maximum number of poll options are?
I would have asked in my thread but it got locked, i would have emailed Don Rotty but he doesn't have an email address....

Man of Honour
Joe42 said:
It already is, people post instead of polling.
If anything it might save us some spam, but i can't see it making it any worse myself. And seeing as it is the genral discussion, and most things are spam, it wouldn't do any harm.

I'm just annoyed that he locked my thread.

Take it up with a moderator in private instead of bitching about it on the forums then. ;)

Joe42 said:
It will be a poll 'Why aren't you folding'?

with the options in the folding myths section in the quick guide and the responses to those myths in my post. There may be a few extra options aswell.

Does anyone know what the maximum number of poll options are?
I would have asked in my thread but it got locked, i would have emailed Don Rotty but he doesn't have an email address....

Where would you like this poll (polite answers only please ;)).

You can have 20 options if you so wish.

Soldato
Freefaller said:
Take it up with a moderator in private instead of bitching about it on the forums then. ;)
Sorry. I would have done at the time you see but a lack of email address for the relevant don prevented me doing so.

Where would you like this poll (polite answers only please ;)).

You can have 20 options if you so wish.
I think i'll post the thread on sunday, i'll make it known in here when its being posted and ill put poll in the title. I can email a don if thats easier?

Last edited:
Permabanned
rich99million said:
noted - have changed it in the news for you :)

shame about only having the single core but at least you've put it to good use - still stomping up the charts with it :cool:

Aye, one day I'll grab an x2 or something and have both core's folding for the cause :)

Soldato
rich99million said:
yes they are - they are both the output from just one machine (although dunc thinks maybe one of his old borgs has been resurrected and is dropping the occasional WU - the vast majority still comes from a single machine)

My output last week would have bee huuuuge if I did not turn my rig 'not on' for 2 days to try and find out if something else was dropping wus into my account. I worked out that last week 2 x 172 pointers came from somewhere else :(

Doing Beta wus certainly helps ;)

My rig is now doing regular wus in the Slug Out :)

Dunc

Soldato
I'm making a start on the next gd thread (not posting it yet) and i need an option on the poll for running dc that isn't folding. Can i just say 'running boinc'. Does that cover all other dc projects?

Or do i need to word it differently to say something meaning 'i'm running dc but not folding'.

Soldato
Joe42 said:
I'm making a start on the next gd thread (not posting it yet) and i need an option on the poll for running dc that isn't folding. Can i just say 'running boinc'. Does that cover all other dc projects?

Or do i need to word it differently to say something meaning 'i'm running dc but not folding'.

"I am already running another distributed computing client"

:)

SiriusB

Man of Honour
Joe42 said:

Don't spam GD with DC threads please. If I find one there I *will* move it back.

Soldato
Berserker said:
Don't spam GD with DC threads please. If I find one there I *will* move it back.
No. I've already discouraged several people from posting one. They are carefully planned and will not occur within a week of another one, preferably longer.

Soldato
It's a difficult one.. the last GD thread did attract support but I think we have to watch we don't post them too often - too many and you start annoying potential folders instead of bringing them to the cause. I get the feeling GD already has a kinda anti-DC bent anyway.

GH is a good idea! People in there tend to be more technically-minded.

On another note... threads on the front page are going back 2 days. Last month they were spread over 9 days. The DC forum is showing bouncebackability :)

Soldato
We got almost 30 new people thanks to the last gd thread. Thats a moderate success in my book.

The next gd thread will be a 'why aren't you running dc' poll. Deliberately different to the last one, different theme, different topic.

I can post a gh one if thats wanted, but i feel a bit bad about posting this sort of thing in there because its spam in a serious hardware forum with people trying to get help, as opposed to the gd which is a general forum for anything, much of it spam.
I certainly don't feel bad about posting this sort of thing in there because compared to some of the other stuff its actually informative and serves a purpose.
I would appreciate a lenient attitude towards it from the mods providing we do our bit and make sure there aren't too many of these threads too close together and that they are informative, have a theme and encourage discussion.
Any gd threads to be posted will be discussed in here first, and anyone with ideas for one shoud post in here. No-one should post one without prior discussion.

The only idea so far for a gh one is something along the lines of my sig. Not a please fold thread, but one to inform people of the competative side of it and invite them to join to measure up their pc or pcs against everyone elses. That way it would be relevant to the topic of that forum and i don't feel it would be spam in any way. It could work in much the same way as the overclocking survey thread did.

Back
Top Bottom