Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 24th February 2006

Soldato
I've been slowly crawling along with a few intermittent PCs, thanks to the lack of a 24\7 internet connection. Almost at 40,000 though :)

Permabanned
Hmmmm...

If I get a really odd looking one can I kill it and get a new one?

I just got another one of those, except it is 20,000 frames and seems to be taking 85m per frame, rather than the 20s it was taking the last one.

ETA on the WU? 6 June 2009. It better speed up a bit.

Soldato
Splendid. This little fella just dropped through the letterbox:

certphp7sq.jpg

And it would appear I managed to stomp the evil OctadodecahedraDon in the process for slot number 20! muwhahahahahah!

Soldato
Trick said:
Get the new rig setup using your existing monitor, install xp and folding then setup a vnc server on it. Stick it in the garage/loft/cupboard, plug in a network cable (or go wireless) and then vnc into it using your main rig. I've got 3 machines running like this and it certainly saves on noise/space and extra monitor expense.

So effectively you get this:

vnc1ns.jpg

3 desktops in one without all the hassle of buying 3x as much kit.

Ultra VNC > Real VNC

Encription, Auto scaling, better icon, more "THE WIN"ness, free, Open Source (iirc),
heres my main desktops

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I heard back from my mate who was checking up on mission control and everything is still there \o/.

Looks like there must have been a power failure, he said everything in the fridge was stinking so he has binned the contents.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I only have the one machine set to reboot after power failure:(
I will e-mail him back and ask him to switch the 2 in the sitting room on as I was more concerned about them having been nicked when I phoned him than getting them on.

Stan :)

Man of Honour
Soldato
Ah, it's good to hear that casa de la Stan has not burned to the ground :D. You'll get them crunching again. I was poking about in some other forums and ran across this deal. I don't know if you're interested but I thought you might be.

If these long trips become frequent you might wish to set up a VNC type of sstem that allows you to manipulate the farm over the Internet.

Soldato
VeNT said:
Ultra VNC > Real VNC

Encription, Auto scaling, better icon, more "THE WIN"ness, free, Open Source (iirc),
All good points but UltraVNC Server won't do multi-monitors for some reason which is a big minus point for me.

Soldato
Impending stomp to spacelobsters, parp to blackaqua.

Nice work Huddy & BTI.

Going to order some panaflo's soon and try to run overnight.
I suspended my harddisks from elastic spcr style and it made them worse.
Mind you the real hardcore spcr guys suspend their cf drives from elastic...! :D
I'll get myself some ocuk silentmax enclosures and see if they're any good.

I was playing around with vnc, is there any way to make it faster i.e real-time?
It doesn't seem limited by anything, network utilisation seems low...

Man of Honour
you will now, my machines down :p
Got a nasty virus from some where..

Question - Do you have to be logged in for the F@H console to be actively running. I've been logging in and leaving it.

Also, with a dual core, can i only have 2 instants of the F@H console running i.e. is there any benefir of running more, say 4?

Soldato
OP
when it's set up as a service you don't have to be logged in

if it's an Intel dual-core with HT then you can run up to 4 (as you have 4 logical cores) but you will probably find that due to saturated memory bandwidth it's no better - infact some people have even shown it to lower the PPD from that machine

if it's an AMD dual core then there's no point at all in running more than 2 consoles

Soldato
Running more instances than the total number of logical and physical cores you have will in theory cause reduced performance, as the cpu(s) will spend some time switching between two or more instances of F@h, and despite the time taken for that switch being very small, it will switch a lot to give equil priority to both instances and so the time will add up to reduce performance.

I have been wondering if i could set up multiple instances on a single core machine that only has an internet connection some of the time, so that if it finished a unit it would still have some more to work on. I expect that i could reduce the performance loss of switching between instances if i were to set one up as high priority and the 2nd as lower priority so it wouldn't switch between them as much, if at all. Then if one of them finished a unit and couldn't fetch another it would work on the second low priority one.

Back
Top Bottom