Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 3rd February 2006

Associate
Bigstan said:
:confused: :confused:

How very odd.
I wonder how my 2.4GHz Northwood manages to do them so much quicker?

Stan :)

On the same wu I get 100ppd on my 2.4c @ 3ghz (with 2 client running of course)
On my opty I get 214ppd

For it to take 6 days there must either be something else using most of the cpu cycles or there is some serious thermal throttling issues.

Soldato
OP
I've got 2 of these GB 188-pointers,

XP1700@2050MHz
Avg. Time / Frame : 19mn 29s - 138.94 ppd

XP2500+ (stock 1833MHz)
Avg. Time / Frame : 19mn 45s - 137.07 ppd

now since those machines usually vary quite a bit in ppd (the XP1700 is usually 10-20% better off than the Barton due to the clock speed) I can only assume that these WUs are severely bad on memory bandwidth or something

if you are running dual clients try stopping one of them and give it a few hours then see what sort of time you are getting then

other than that make sure you are getting the SSE optimisation message at the beginning of work...
[04:51:19] Writing local files
[04:51:19] GB activated
[04:51:19] Extra SSE boost OK.
[04:51:20] Writing local files
[04:51:20] Completed 0 out of 12500000 steps (0)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
For the sake of comparison I have listed all of my benchmarks for the 188 pointers below.

Project : 2306
Core : GBGromacs
Frames : 100
Credit : 188

2.4 P4 @ 2463MHz

Min. Time / Frame : 26mn 21s - 102.74 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 28mn 04s - 96.46 ppd

1.6 P4M Laptop

Min. Time / Frame : 24mn 25s - 110.88 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 25mn 25s - 106.51 ppd

A64 3500+ @ 2376MHz

Min. Time / Frame : 15mn 05s - 179.48 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 15mn 35s - 173.72 ppd

A64 4000+ @2592 MHz

Min. Time / Frame : 15mn 15s - 177.52 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 15mn 15s - 177.52 ppd

A64 X2 4400+ @ 2310 MHz
(2 clients - other one has a 46 pointer :rolleyes: )

No Min. Time / Frame
Avg. Time / Frame : 14mn 22s - 188.44 ppd

As you can see the A64s take nearly half the time the P4s do but nowhere near 6 days.

MajorPart:
As Rich says, you may need to check that the optimisation is kicking in. Are you using the -forceasm flag?

Stan :)

Associate
I am running boinc in dual CPU, and two folding clients.. which is why it is so slow. last time i checked the cpu temp it was 41C

Over night it is now down to 4 Days 30nm. My 1800 XP seems to think it will do a 188 in 3 days..

But this is the slowest WU i've ever done (not done a 600 yet)

Permabanned
Right, small problem - I've lost the icon in the sys-tray

I know it's still working because F@H Mon says it is, BUT the other night it was pretty hot and the PC at 100% was heating my room up to the point I couldn't sleep so I dropped the limit to 50%

However, since then i've not seen the damn icon so i can change it back :O

Help me!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
divine_madness said:
However, since then i've not seen the damn icon so i can change it back :O

Help me!!!
as far as i know the only way of getting it back is to restart - either restart the machine (or log off and back on or what-have-you) or end the winfah task (don't kill the core itself - that will usually damage the WU) and then when you see the core has finished it's stuff restart the GUI from the shortcut

unless of course WinXP has just hidden it for you - most likely explorer crashed for some reason and the icon wasn't re-drawn afterwards

Associate
Hey there guys. I'd just like to say hi-de-hi. Old-time seti-er, I started folding 2 weeks back, and almost completely forgot about it! Anyway, I have my nice new opty144 folding most days while it's on, and my folk's xp2500 whenever they use it. I'm contemplating folding on my epia m10000, but it's probably not worth it. Damn thing's hard pushed as it is anyway!

Top 50 here we come!

Soldato
Any idea what's going on here? No idea why FahMons stopped reading the other 2 pcs properly:

fah6pr.jpg

FahMon can see what the Barton's working on but refuses to give info on what the other 2 pcs are doing. I've downloaded the latest project definitions. Fahmon is definately looking in the correct directories otherwise it wouldn't give a % complete.

Last edited:
Associate
hooneeawr said:
Hey there guys. I'd just like to say hi-de-hi. Old-time seti-er, I started folding 2 weeks back, and almost completely forgot about it! Anyway, I have my nice new opty144 folding most days while it's on, and my folk's xp2500 whenever they use it. I'm contemplating folding on my epia m10000, but it's probably not worth it. Damn thing's hard pushed as it is anyway!

Top 50 here we come!

Indeed a very warm welcome Sir. :D

Associate
Trick said:
Any idea what's going on here? No idea why FahMons stopped reading the other 2 pcs properly:

FahMon can see what the Barton's working on but refuses to give info on what the other 2 pcs are doing. I've downloaded the latest project definitions. Fahmon is definately looking in the correct directories otherwise it wouldn't give a % complete.

With me it's usually something daft like the SAMBA share hasn't updated, or I haven't opened Z:\ or whatever the other remote drive letter is.

Soldato
It's not a network problem as I've full access to all the pcs. Funnily enough as soon as the Athlon64 finished and downloaded a new woo FAHMon picked it up no problem. Very strange...

Man of Honour
Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
I've been somewhat busy with real work but this weekend should give me some time to get it darn close to done.

Yeah, I'll go ahead and call that an utter failure. I'll try to work on it this week. Getting around to taking the screenies for the Linux install is holding me back becasue my main Linux machine is under the weather with bad RAM that keeps crashing it. I suppose I'll download a Live distro and fire it up on another machine.

Do you think I need pictures to help the Windows GUI installation?

Man of Honour
Uh I think i've joined. Just one question - my machine is not the beast it once was (xp2100+), and I was wondering how to reduce the percentage that is used? I remember in the setup dolarly we had an option of devoting 5-100%, can I just run it again?

Man of Honour
Soldato
Yes sir, that's exactly what you do. Go to services.msc and stop the sercive from runing. Then go to your executable and run it again, this time use the shortcut trick described in the new FAH guide. This time run with -configonly. It will run again and ask you everything all over again. This time tell it a lower % to use.

That said, it the machine is slow becasue of FAH it's probably not due to the CPU useage as Windows is pretty good about surrendering cycles to programs other than FAH. Usually the problem is causwed by having too little RAM.

I guess you'll just have to see and tell us how it goes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom