1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 7th October 2005

Discussion in 'TOSAH Archive' started by rich99million, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Berserker

Man of Honour

Oops - looks like I may have sent a dodgy result or two back to Stanford.

Prime95 unstable PC at stock. I think it's only been like that for a day or two though (since I added more RAM).

Giving 'er a boot up the backside (more volts) and a thorough melting with Prime95 :D

2. KillBait

Gangster

It gives the newcomers a nice boost and might sway them to carry on.. It worked for me :p

Welcome jamief BTW

3. (BoG) Napalm

Hitman

Ahem, not the only one... :o My 333 Barton was stable at 2500 with Prime, loaded F@H up and it started spitting out WU's...

Ooopsy.

4. Berserker

Man of Honour

Prime unstable at stock & 2.65V. Reluctant to push on to 2.75V, so I've slacked off the timings a little to 2-3-3-6. This mobo is a little on the old side and I'd like to treat it gently. :)

5. sculptor

Hitman

Theres nothing like a couple of Gromacs WUs to see if your rig is stable.
    Ive had Prime95 stable before then start up F@H and all you see is Early unit end. Tends to happen more with the Athlon XPs, A64s seem to be a bit better.
    I use Super-Pi to 32Million places seems to work for me, a bit quicker than Prime95 as well.

6. (BoG) Napalm

Hitman

Yep - exactly that. I did have it stable at 2.5, but I totally forgot what vCore I had it at. So I guessed around 1.8, ran Prime for a few hours, seemed stable (it usually crashes out before then).

D'oh. I'll give it a bit more tomorrow - once I've installed the fan controller. A vantec tornado is too loud for 24/7.

7. sculptor

Hitman

When you have it stable try using timeless WUs at first youll only get Tinkers which are less stressfull than Gromacs and the Athlon XPs are quicker at them clock for clock than the A64s.
    When I had my Xp 2500+ on the vapo clocked at 2.5Ghz it would do one a day, 240ppd is very good for any AMD rig. ;)

8. Trick

Mobster

Well I should see production back up again now I'm back in the uk for a week and i've managed to get the Barton running again. It seems the Linksys WAP54g just died for no reason. No lights on it and I can't seem to revive it at all. The transformer still appears to work and there's no evidence of any dried joints on the pcb. Nevermind, I've reverted back to network cables!

9. Berserker

Man of Honour

I'm now on 2.5-3-3-7 timings - flaked out after 1h45m at 2-2-2-5 @ 2.65V (and 2.75V was worse) :(

I may go back to 1GB :(

10. sculptor

Hitman

Nice to have you back on board Trick, even if it is only for a week. Shame your wi-fi died there mate, atleast with cables you never loose the conection.
    Give that Barton some wellie. ;)

11. sculptor

Hitman

What motherboard are you running? Just thinking it might not be your ram, have you Memtested it?

12. jamief

Soldato

Thanks for the welcome guys, seems like a great forum here, looking forward to becoming involved :)

13. Trick

Mobster

Cheers mate. It's so damn cold in the UK! And what's this stuff falling from the sky?

14. Berserker

Man of Honour

I'm thinking the same. It's had several hours of memtest.

Yoink. :(

Must admit I didn't memtest86/Prime95 test it when I put the first two sticks in - I just assumed it would be stable. Can't say I noticed any stability issues though (apart from the PSU going bang).

15. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

Mr. Berserker, rumor has it you have a dual xeon cruncher. What mobo are you running and what sort of ram timings can you run? If I have time I'll begin the assembly of my dual xeon machine today by doing vcore and vdimm mods to my Asus PC-DL and I'm looking to see what other folks are running. :p

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  16. Ken

Wise Guy

Cheers guys - I'll keep an eye on the logs. :)

I just made it into the top 50. :cool:

17. NeedleGunner

Wise Guy

Nice one Ken :)

Gotta keep a good eye on your logs at all times mate ;)

18. Berserker

Man of Honour

It's an OEM Prestonia box - no overclocking potential whatsoever (without doing wire mods, and I'm not going anywhere near doing those). Nocoma core for the win. :D

19. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Well this evening I'm going to be elbow deep in wee little wires that have to fit into 12 of 1208 wee little holes.
    :eek: I'm not as much afraid of that as i am of having to solder a variable resistor to the vdimm circuit to bump up the voltage from 2.6 to anything lower than 3.2V (some of the guys over at 2-CPU run 3.5V!). It's all going to be worth it though.

Prestonias at 16*200MHz? Yes, please.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  20. NeedleGunner

Wise Guy

Gulp :eek:

Good Luck, braver man than I'll ever be :cool:

I shake to much.