Follow Up On Mass Effect 3 Delay, This Might Be Bad

Soldato
Approach galaxy map, camera pans to a sensible height/angle and you use your hands to navigate to your chosen destination?

In theory sure... but no, just no. Kinect would require you to be somewhere other than sat on your sofa (for most people) and its so much easier to just use the controller...

Honestly where can it possibly be useful?

Soldato
In theory sure... but no, just no. Kinect would require you to be somewhere other than sat on your sofa (for most people) and its so much easier to just use the controller...

Honestly where can it possibly be useful?

I could easily do that from my sofa. :confused:

In fact, I thought that was a damn good idea. Remember, it's minor Kinect integration that'll work -- if you can't do it from your sofa, then there's no need to.

However, for those who CAN, it's further immersion into the game.

Soldato
Waving your arms around miles from the tv to navigate on the map isn't immersive at all.

Not to mention such a thing is completely against what casual gamers want (apparently) and Bioware are definitely pandering to what they think casual gamers want.

Seriously I can't see any reason they'd do this that isn't being paid for. Delaying the game doesn't really make sense as it won't bring them any more money.

Soldato
Waving your arms around miles from the tv to navigate on the map isn't immersive at all.

Not to mention such a thing is completely against what casual gamers want (apparently) and Bioware are definitely pandering to what they think casual gamers want.

Seriously I can't see any reason they'd do this that isn't being paid for. Delaying the game doesn't really make sense as it won't bring them any more money.

I've loved both of the original games, and am in no way a "casual" gamer (though many are now making the distinction of being a casual gamer so close to insulting anyone that isn't playing WoW 50 hours a week it's laughable), but the idea of that seems pretty good to me.

It wouldn't be about "waving your arms" to navigate the map. Rather, I'd be playing with a controller, from my sofa; I select the Galaxy Map, I raise my hand and rotate and inspect my destinations using gestures.

If I don't wish to do that, or don't have a sensor, I can do it with the analogue stick instead.

Where, exactly, is the problem with that?

Associate
You know ME1 was on consoles first right?

No I hadn't in all honesty and it is quite a surprise. I doubt there has been a better game on consoles since IMO.

Was it a success on consoles? If so, it begs the question why the general need to dumb down games??

I didn't buy Crysis 2 and other games because they were console dumbed down ports and listening to many people I think it will only be time before EA, etc start to see their profits hit - it'll take a bit of time, but it will happen (just look at Lucasarts - they are promising the reverse).

Associate
from a storyline prospective doesn't more action make more sense considering it is the galaxy's last stand and all that?

This will be a day one purchase for me on the PC and I cant wait (wish they hadn't delayed it)

Caporegime
No I hadn't in all honesty and it is quite a surprise. I doubt there has been a better game on consoles since IMO.

Was it a success on consoles? If so, it begs the question why the general need to dumb down games??

Incredibly successful. Dumbed down is a word being thrown around nowadays every time a company changes something. They removed the inventory system in 2 not to dumb it down.....they removed it because it was ****. It wasn't the main focus of the game and took you away from the game's strengths.

Soldato
Incredibly successful. Dumbed down is a word being thrown around nowadays every time a company changes something. They removed the inventory system in 2 not to dumb it down.....they removed it because it was ****. It wasn't the main focus of the game and took you away from the game's strengths.

Yes the inventory system was flawed. But removing it all together was even more lame.

Caporegime
Yes the inventory system was flawed. But removing it all together was even more lame.

It's a staple of RPG's just because there is a lack of originality to everyone feels the need to copy everyone else.

Mass Effect is an epic space opera about the survival of life in the galaxy, why does it matter whether I can chose whether to wear a red helmet of +2 to melee or a blue helmet of +1 to pistol attacks? It's just not needed.

Soldato
It's a staple of RPG's just because there is a lack of originality to everyone feels the need to copy everyone else.

Mass Effect is an epic space opera about the survival of life in the galaxy, why does it matter whether I can chose whether to wear a red helmet of +2 to melee or a blue helmet of +1 to pistol attacks? It's just not needed.

It still has items like that. :p 5% damage bonus for using the N7 helmet from the Normandy Crash Site DLC, for example. Upgrades are arguably worse micro-management than ME1's inventory (not to mention the baffling pre-requisites that make no sense).

Associate
They better not mess it up, already they are using a new engine, which in some aspects does look better than UE3, but in other areas the modified UE3 engine looked better. Now they are targeting a "Larger audience" *Sigh*

Soldato
Yeah I know it does, and I still think that isn't needed. I barely touched it.

Yeah... because it was a token inventory that made next to no difference.

ME1s was very over the top and became easily cluttered and a pain to manage. But what you did actually made a bleeding difference to your guns and armour. You could upgrade the heat sink to give you longer/infinite firing capacity or load in HE-Rounds to a Sniper Rifle to turn it into a very powerful 1 shotter that would send enemies flying.

The only difference in ME2 were that you could pick from a few guns, most of which were terrible compared to other choices and very small differences in your stats from armour. Anyone whose played Insanity knows that +5% health makes no difference at all.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Tbh I'm not that interested in it, for some reason even though I really enjoyed ME1/2, this just looks like the same game again, which in effect I guess it is.

The Kinect thing is a complete gimmick, because we all know waving our arms around and talking to the TV really adds to the immersion /sarcasm.

Associate
Tbh I'm not that interested in it, for some reason even though I really enjoyed ME1/2, this just looks like the same game again, which in effect I guess it is.

The Kinect thing is a complete gimmick, because we all know waving our arms around and talking to the TV really adds to the immersion /sarcasm.
Kinect is a lot of rubbish yes, ME3 however looks to be a huge improvement over 2 combat wise, you've played the first 2 and you're not even interested in how the story ends?

Back
Top Bottom