Football and the Coronavirus

Don
It would sadden me to lose Auba because he wants champions league football when we haven’t had a chance to earn it.

Plus, why should Liverpool be awarded the title when they haven’t mathematically won it, but the likes of Arsenal and Spurs can be ruled out of the champions league despite it being well within their grasp?
I don't want to keep repeating myself but one more time, because compromises have to be made and certain clubs claims are far weaker than others. The chances of Arsenal qualifying for the CL are remote, the chances of Liverpool not winning the League are even smaller, the chances of x getting relegated is even smaller and so on. If we have limited time to reach a conclusion to the League then you have to look at what are the biggest issues that need resolving and resolve those. The risk of a legal challenge from Arsenal is far smaller than the legal challenge from Leciester if you voided the season, likewise the risk of a legal chalenge from West Ham (if forced to play a play-off) is far smaller than the challenge from Leeds or West Brom.

Anyway, if you read the other part of my post Brighton's CEO didn't appear to hint that this type of play-off system would be likely. Listening to him I sensed that the PL were leaning towards having a 22 team League next season with Liverpool crowned champions, if the League cannot be finished of course. The only thing he left up in the air was how they'd decide who qualified for Europe and I think it's a given that it'll be based on this seasons standings.

Soldato
All remaining games should be played in a penalty tournament.

5 players and a goalie from each team.
Just 5 spot kicks, so we get a win, lose or draw.
No one from opposing teams would be mixing together.
Could all be done in a day with a special televised event at Wembley.

You're welcome.

Last edited:
Don
I'd just like to point out, despite everything I've said in here, me and @Andybtsn have had a discussion and if the League cannot be completed then the Silverpaw Prediction League would be declared void. Despite his dominance @planty would not be crowned champion and that would go to last years winner.......me, with 2nd place going to Andy.

Soldato
They should do a similar format to super leagues easter weekend and cram in a few games over a couple of back to back weekends behind closed doors and get it done and dusted.

Soldato
If the clubs are forced to pay back TV money due to postponements and cancellations that are due to health care, then I doubt Sky will be able to ever negotiate such high prices again as other broadcasters will end up looking way more trust worthy.

Also if money is paid back, and Sky don't refund those paying TV subscriptions, which in turn pay the clubs the actual money they get, I can't see it going down well, and legally I'm not sure where they stand, I'd imagine someone somewhere will dig into it further.

Don
Theres far too much money at risk for these games not to be paid one way or another imo. The PL get around £3bn per season in TV money, they're not giving up a quarter of that, ignoring the lost gate receipts and commercial revenue that they'll also lose. And you have to remember that the PL is quite possibly the one League in Europe best placed to deal with this lost revenue. It would cripple other Leagues at home and across Europe.

Soldato
Wayne Rooney has a plan for football and Euro 2020 when play resumes, but can it work? | ESPN FC

Manchester United and England legend Wayne Rooney spoke recently about the effect the coronavirus has had on football and how domestic leagues can conclude once play resumes. ESPN FC's Gab Marcotti, Alejandro Moreno and Shaka Hislop discuss the Derby County forward's comments and how they would affect Euro 2020, the FIFA calendar and more ahead of the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

thoughts on his idea?

i think canceling euro or moving to next year makes sense

Caporegime
It all sounds rather convenient for the 2022 World Cup to be honest and the FA have their media darling Wayne Rooney promoting the idea. So, suddenly there's going to be support for moving the Premier League season?

Don
Norway FA have confirmed that the Euros have been moved to next summer. No official announcement from UEFA yet or what other things have been decided but expectation is that they'll announce extra time for Leagues to be completed.

Back
Top Bottom