Football and the Coronavirus

Don
Things would be far too complicated to fall out of line with UEFA's calendar. How would you decide on CL/EL qualification for next seasons competition? It would work if we were ahead of the UEFA calendar, with 'this season' ending last November but it's impossible if we're behind them. And it's very difficult for a lot of European leagues to play a Jan-November season due to the heat in summer months.

Caporegime
I dunno but I'm sure they'll work something out if they really want it, I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens but something like this offers a good opportunity for restructuring. It all just seems rather convenient after years of talking about moving the season to accommodate the 2022 World Cup.

Don
I've seens some conspiracy theories but to blame this on Qatar and FIFA would be something else :D

Switching the entire European footballing calendar would be a radical change, even if there is some logic to it. At best this situation is going to make everybody take a step back and address the number of games we're playing and maybe by the 2022 WC we'd have cut back on the amount we play, possibly losing the League Cup, FA Cup replays, some international games and cancelling the idea of an extended CL.

Caporegime
I'm just saying its highly convenient for the FA now to be able to exploit it and move the season like they have wanted to and unlike before when everyone was dead against the season being moved nobody will bat an eyelid about it now and it could even become permanent if the FA want it to be for financial reasons. Crises like what is taking place now allows for radical change to take place that's exactly my point.

Don
I actually don’t care anymore what happens.

This world is in such a tragic situation that I don’t give a flying **** about football tbh.
In all seriousness, you say that now but when things do start to get worse and worse and we are all locked in, football will be a welcome distraction for us. In fact Southampton's CEO is quoted as saying that the government want the PL back playing as soon as it's safe to do so, to entertain the masses and "to show we're fighting back".

Caporegime
In all seriousness, you say that now but when things do start to get worse and worse and we are all locked in, football will be a welcome distraction for us. In fact Southampton's CEO is quoted as saying that the government want the PL back playing as soon as it's safe to do so, to entertain the masses and "to show we're fighting back".
It’s not gonna be safe to do for months Baz. If they start it while the virus is still present, it’s gonna be a disaster. It takes just a few players to be infected for the whole thing to grind to a halt again.

Don
It’s not gonna be safe to do for months Baz. If they start it while the virus is still present, it’s gonna be a disaster. It takes just a few players to be infected for the whole thing to grind to a halt again.
When it will be possible to resume is anyone's guess right now but I can guarantee that when it does, it'll lift all our spirits.

Don
Exactly. I find football behind closed doors thoroughly depressing. Won’t be lifting my spirits much I can tell you.
You're likely to get the NHS letter next week asking you to remain at home for 3 months, right rob? There's only so much day time TV and depressing news stories people can watch, football will absolutely be a welcome distraction whether it's behind closed doors or not.

Even right now I'd love to be able to switch on the tv and watch an awful Utd - Wolves game again.

Caporegime
You're likely to get the NHS letter next week asking you to remain at home for 3 months, right rob? There's only so much day time TV and depressing news stories people can watch, football will absolutely be a welcome distraction whether it's behind closed doors or not.
I’ll get the letter, and maybe it will be good if it comes back, that remains to be seen, but I genuinely don’t really care about trophies, European places, promotions or relegations any more. Whatever happens, it’s all been tainted by this horrific global crisis.

Back
Top Bottom