Football and the Coronavirus

Don
Can those club owners put the money that'd be required in though even if they wanted to? I thought there were rules about how much owners could pump into the club?
Yes and no but mostly no. FFP states that there's a maximum loss a club can make with owners being allowed to cover a proportion of that loss through an equity injection. UEFA have already said they'll be relaxing elements of FFP because of the current situation however there's nothing preventing owners from providing interest free loans to their clubs to cover cash flow issues.

Don
This sort of thing is a far better idea than players simply taking pay cuts. It should be added that a large number of players, individually and collectively have already donated large sums to hospitals and charities and do so all year round too.

Soldato
Sums it up.

"Julian Knight, who is chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee, Knight has written to Premier League chief executive Richard Masters calling for action on player wages, saying clubs which furlough non-playing staff but do not impose cuts on player wages should be subjected to a windfall tax if they do not change approach by Tuesday, 7 April.

"The purpose of the coronavirus job retention scheme is not to support the economics of Premier League clubs," Knight wrote."

Caporegime
Points per game is the number of points divided by the number of games played. It can (and will in some Leagues) be used to calculate the final table when some teams have played more games than others.

Chelsea's points per game is 1.655, Utd's is 1.552, Sheffield Utd's is 1.536 and Wolves' is 1.483. Worst case scenario and the League cannot be finished (and they don't void things) then the most likely outcome would be calculating the final table based on teams points per game rather than the exact current standings.

This is still not right as we have played Liverpool twice and Chelsea haven't. We have beaten Chelsea all three times this season and have a better goal difference. I would honestly be mega peeved if they got a champs place instead of us as we were on a mega roll before everything shut down.

Soldato
This is still not right as we have played Liverpool twice and Chelsea haven't. We have beaten Chelsea all three times this season and have a better goal difference. I would honestly be mega peeved if they got a champs place instead of us as we were on a mega roll before everything shut down.
That is why maybe the best solution is to void the season and start again?

Don
It's not perfect obviously but it would be the fairest way of doing things if games cannot be played. Also you are contradicting yourself slightly when you've said Utd have played all the big sides but also pointed out how you've beat Chelsea (and City) both times in the League. If Utd have played all those big games, generally performed well and are still below Chelsea then clearly you haven't been disadvantaged by the calendar as Utd have struggled to pick up points vs sides lower in the table. Being on a good/bad run of form doesn't count for more than the entire 28/29 games that have been played as a whole.

Anyway, it's looking more and more likely that Leagues will be finished somehow. UEFA are indirectly telling Leagues that end their season early, even if they don't actually void it, that they risk not being able to enter sides into the CL and EL next season.
I know, I said that :confused:

Soldato
Caporegime
Don
I cant view the whole article unless i am a member or subscribed to it

That's the first half of the article. If you pay me 50p towards the cost of my subscription then I'll post the rest.
Jordan Henderson is organising a Premier League coronavirus crisis fund for the NHS that will run into millions of pounds.

The Times understands that the Liverpool captain has spent the last few days contacting the captains of other Premier League clubs to pitch the idea.

The initiative being led by the England international pre-dates the scathing comments made by Health Secretary Matt Hancock, who called upon top-flight footballers to “play their part” during Thursday’s government crisis briefing.

Talks with Premier League captains were continuing today and the initial reaction has been wholly positive, with players determined to raise cash for those on the frontline. Indeed the players are happy to engage with Hancock and his department despite the criticism they have received. They will seek NHS and government guidance on how best the money can be distributed to combat the global pandemic.

Contact has already been made with banks to set up the fund, which footballers will simply be asked to contribute to on the understanding that there is a wide variation of salaries across the Premier League

Caporegime
There should be no football club that is allowed to furlough the staff that allow the club to operate if they still pay the players 100% of their wage, which is always going to be massively higher in the top tier clubs.

Are you happy to be paying the wages of the staff of the football clubs through your taxes, or would you rather the players who are also supposedly part of the club pay for the staff that allow them to earn that wage in the first place?

Someone somewhere higher up the food-chain of the stakeholders in football needs to take action, as you already pointed out the most important stakeholders (the fans) don't have any say at all, they just get treated like money sponges.

I'm not sure you can cherry pick and apply arbitrary rules to some businesses based on them being visible or players being seen to ear "a lot" etc...

I'm sure there are plenty of business/companies in various industries making their own decisions re: furlough of staff that might be more in line with the interests of senior management or owners (if largely controlled by individual or small number of owners) etc..

Most of this is emotive - players earn huge sums etc.. and are visible so people want to see them lose out etc... but be careful about going along with them being scapegoats. How willing are the clubs going to be to break the contracts these players have from both sides?

I'm not an expert here but aren't these players "assets" to some extent - don't they still get bought/sold - if they want to move then other clubs still have to "buy" them if they're still within their contract etc.. (pls correct/educate if I've got some of this wrong)

The players have agents relying on them, PAs etc.. they're not so much "employees" but rather smaller businesses contracted to a much larger one. The job of paying the actual employees/staff is down to the big company.

Now you can say that there is some collective responsibility needed in these times - and that's fair, but that shouldn't need be one sided... if players are to take a hit/absorb some of the costs on their side of the contract/deal they're on then surely that works both ways... not quite as simple or emotive as it seems - how willing are the clubs themselves to give up some of the optionality they have on these players? Are the clubs willing to shorten the duration of contracts or compensate later etc.. (if that is how it works? please do correct me if I'm out of date/wrong on these players having a value as assets which need to be bought/sold etc..)... surely the club (very big company sometimes owned by very rich individual) needs to take a hit too...

I think the charity move by players is right approach at the moment and really, collectively, they ought to be pushing back re: the clubs re: the clubs giving up some value too re: any contracts being broken - if they expect one party to a contract to take a financial hit for the greater good then what are they prepared to give up on their side too?

Soldato
I'm happy to pay taxes that support people who cannot live without that money, their own basic wage. I'm not happy to pay taxes for staff that are furloughed while there are 'staff' taking home millions a month between them.

They is my whole argument, don't really care if anyone disagrees or agrees, regardless of that being football or a plane manufacturer.

Don
I'm happy to pay taxes that support people who cannot live without that money, their own basic wage. I'm not happy to pay taxes for staff that are furloughed while there are 'staff' taking home millions a month between them.

They is my whole argument, don't really care if anyone disagrees or agrees, regardless of that being football or a plane manufacturer.
Hypothetical scenario. Your boss is a multi billionaire and his business is making hundreds of millions in cash profits each year. You're a manager earning £50k per year and there are those working below you earning £15k per year. Your boss decides to furlough all those working below you but because you're considered vital to the business your boss continues to pay you in full. Who should we be angry at, the highly paid employee that continues to get paid in full and paying his taxes in full or the billionaire owner who is making hundreds of millions per year sat in a deck chair smoking his cigars?

Soldato
Hypothetical scenario. The MD of a company who has 600 employees, and makes £8 billion a year is stuck with a decision to make, his top 20 executives can't do any work, as they are stuck at home on their backsides, should he pay them all the full wage at £1 million a month each and make the tax payer take the burden for the other 580 who earn £15k per year and will only get 80% of their meagre £15k, or should he cut the executives wage by 5% which would be enough to pay for the whole 580 other staff ? Who should you be angry at, the MD for thinking about a fair decision even though he still makes a packet and doesn't care, or looking after those that can afford to take a tiny hit, and keeping those that can't on full pay and not 'forcing' every single member of the public subsidise them?

Oh yeah, in my scenario it's a symbiotic relationship and no work can be carried out by anyone without the others.

Don
If the company makes £8bn per year then the company should be paying all of its staff in full and all our anger should be at the owners and decision makers for not doing that.

Soldato
If the company makes £8bn per year then the company should be paying all of its staff in full and all our anger should be at the owners and decision makers for not doing that.

Aren't we working on the boss at the top is evil scenario, and anything they do is wrong? Sorry, I'll changes it to 'makes a packet instead', does that help?

Don
Aren't we working on the boss at the top is evil scenario, and anything they do is wrong? Sorry, I'll changes it to 'makes a packet instead', does that help?
I'm working on the misplaced rage scenario. This situation started when the Chairman of Tottenham decided to openly call out players and insist they play their part while furloughing staff to protect his own wealth and has been jumped on by Matt Hancock. Daniel Levy is a shameless hypocrite. He's earned millions from Tottenham and is now quite possibly a billionaire himself on the back of his stake in Spurs, with his senior partner in ENIC (who own Spurs) being a multi billionaire tax exile.

The decision to furlough non playing staff at Spurs has already been taken and now Levy wants Spurs players to cut their pay too. Who is going to benefit from this pay cut? Tottenham can afford to pay all their players and non playing staff in full, even in this current crisis. They are owned by billionaires who could top up any short fall even if they couldn't. Nobody other than Joe Lewis and Daniel Levy benefit from Spurs players taking a pay cut. Are the 'evil owners' going to reverse their decision to furlough staff and repay the government if a player takes a pay cut? I doubt it. There will be less tax being paid by players but Tottenham's finances and Levy & Lewis' by extension will be protected. Why are people attacking players in this scenario? It's the likes of Levy and Mike Ashley at Newcastle that should be getting attacked.

There are some PL clubs not so well off nor owned by the super rich and if these clubs cannot afford to continue paying their staff in full then yes, players do have a responsibility to help.

edit: Just to add to the Spurs situation a bit more. As I've said multiple times, Levy paid himself a £3m bonus (on top of his £4m salary (which is already more than any other PL director)) for completing Spurs stadium, despite being late and over budget. That £3m bonus alone would probably cover most if not all of the 550 non playing staff pay in full for 3 months.

Soldato
How hard is it to understand.

I don't care if the furlough staff, as long as it is a level playing field and they are all treated equally (expect the owner of course who cannot be forced to do anything they don't want to). If they furlough normal staff, then furlough the players then they'll have something to complain about on £2.5k per month.

There is zero misplaced rage as you put it.

"All employees are equal except some are more equal than others!"

Back
Top Bottom