Football and the Coronavirus

Don
I thought the EFL may have allowed League 2 to scrap relegations given that the National League had ended with no plans to complete their play-offs. I'd guess the arguments over promotions/relegations to and from the PL has made that not possible. It would be hard for the EFL and FA to insist on the PL sticking to the rules if the EFL themselves have bent the same rules to suit them.

Associate
So will 51% of the Championship want to curtail the season early and go with weighted PPG? I think there will be lots of talks going on as testing and playing costs are worked out.

Caporegime
We look like getting automatic promotion under weighted PPG, delighted considering recent form was terrible and play-offs was looking more likely in the long run. I don't imagine those at the other end of the table who looked like climbing clear will feel the same.

Don
Masters doesn't mention anything about promotions or relegations in his interview, either in the link or the clips they showed on the news. He only mentions that curtailment was still a possibility and says that what would happen in that instance hasn't been discussed with the clubs.

edit: the article has been updated with some new quotes since last night.

Last edited:
Associate
The FA saying they will veto any idea of stopping relegations from the premier league means there is no point discussing it? There is so much click bait stories around.

Soldato
The FA saying they will veto any idea of stopping relegations from the premier league means there is no point discussing it? There is so much click bait stories around.
As I said so many times in the Newcastle thread, it’s just click bait, they are regurgitating old stories as they have nothing to write about and need to get people on their sites, the PL are keeping things very close to there chests and seem to be determined to not let any leaks come out, I think we will get a final decision by next Friday.

Don
Your definition of clickbait is odd woppy. It's journalists job to report news - in other words new developments in a story. As I touch on in the 2nd part of my post below, the promotion/relegation question barely gets a mention in the article - it's not the headline or exaggerated in anyway. The PL's CEO being interviewed and asked about restart dates, safety concerns and all the other things around this situation is not clickbait. The headline or the article itself doesn't twist words or mislead.
The BBC make little to no reference to the relegation issue and as I said last night, Masters makes no real comment on it in the interview. It's only mysticsniper that's raised it and I'm not sure how he's taken Masters saying they've not discussed what happens if the season is curtailed to this.

Associate
I was refering to this part of the BBC article:

Masters also admitted the idea of scrapping relegation "would come up for discussion" and was "a significant topic".

"That will be part of the debate we have," he said. "What would happen in that environment (curtailment of season) is something we're yet to discuss with the clubs."

Football Association Chairman Greg Clarke told the Premier League clubs at their last meeting that the governing body would oppose the scrapping of relegation.

The click bait is mainly facebook rubbish.

Don
You can't control other people or outlets taking the article and twisting it. As I said, the BBC don't make a big thing of it in their story - their main topics are restart dates and safety. Of course they will ask Masters the question because they'll want 100% confirmation to all the reports we've had but his answer is as to be expected - how they resolve the season in case it cannot be finished and issues around relegations & promotions will be a big topics that need addressing but Masters clearly says that nothing has been discussed (I don't believe him btw) and the BBC do go on to ask about the FA vetoing any attempts to scrap relegation too.

Soldato
You can't control other people or outlets taking the article and twisting it. As I said, the BBC don't make a big thing of it in their story - their main topics are restart dates and safety. Of course they will ask Masters the question because they'll want 100% confirmation to all the reports we've had but his answer is as to be expected - how they resolve the season in case it cannot be finished and issues around relegations & promotions will be a big topics that need addressing but Masters clearly says that nothing has been discussed (I don't believe him btw) and the BBC do go on to ask about the FA vetoing any attempts to scrap relegation too.
What I’m meaning is they aren’t reporting anything new but they have to get views somehow, it’s the same thing over and over again, just written in a slightly different way as nothing is leaking out from the premier league at all, which is strange as normally the premier league is a leaky as an old boat

Don
What I’m meaning is they aren’t reporting anything new but they have to get views somehow, it’s the same thing over and over again, just written in a slightly different way as nothing is leaking out from the premier league at all, which is strange as normally the premier league is a leaky as an old boat
I couldn't disagree more with this. There's been leaks pretty much every day on pretty much every topic - we've been getting reports of clubs being for/against the restart, the situation with neutral venues, the financial impact, and of course the relegation and promotion issue. We've even been told of 4 of the 6 positive tests when they were supposed to be anonymous. This however isn't a leak or an off the record briefing, it's an interview in which a journalist has the opportunity to directly ask the PL's CEO questions on all the stuff that we've heard.

Of course at times like these there will be a shortage of news for some journalists and when you start reading transfer stories every day you can file those under bs but this, and the journalists reporting developments in the Newcastle takeover, isn't clickbait.

Soldato
My post was on the possibility, of it happening. Which Masters mentioned last night on the BBC news

Masters also admitted the idea of scrapping relegation "would come up for discussion" and was "a significant topic".

I thought it was interesting given the news from the football league about promoting teams, if the season finished early.

Don
Ok, to me he said everything you'd expect him to say. With the PL trying to publicly maintain a stance that they're all committed to finishing the season he's going to deny that any talks around curtailment have taken place yet and what might happen if the season is cut short. Of course relegating sides or not relegating sides will be a big topic and almost certainly will be the biggest topic that will be discussed in the event the season is curtailed. Until the season is ended early and the clubs have agreed on what will happen (and approved by the FA) then he's not going to rule anything in or out, in the same way he wouldn't reveal what plans they have with broadcasters until they were finalised.

Fwiw, I still think a 22 team PL could happen but it's less likely than a couple of months ago imo. I don't think any PL sides (except the ones that will be relegated) will want an expanded League as it will mean less money for them and the only way they'll compromise is if the FA insist on promotions and the risk of legal battles from relegated sides is considered too great.

Back
Top Bottom