Football and the Coronavirus

Don
The Telegraph are reporting that PL squads won't have to go into quarantine if a player tests positive once contact training begins:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...bs-will-not-have-quarantine-squad-one-player/

Massive news if this turns out to be true as this issue was potentially the biggest obstacle the League faced to finishing. Had entire squads had to isolate then it would have made completing the season very difficult, certainly by August.

Soldato
Not being funny but why should they. I'm I key worker in a pharmaceutical company and we had a few positive cases and the guide lines is clean round them and plough on lol. I actually thought that you had to isolate work colleagues but obviously not.

Why should footballer's be any different than say nurses or shop assistants.

Soldato
Not being funny but why should they. I'm I key worker in a pharmaceutical company and we had a few positive cases and the guide lines is clean round them and plough on lol. I actually thought that you had to isolate work colleagues but obviously not.

Why should footballer's be any different than say nurses or shop assistants.

Because footballers are multi-million pound assets. As much as us 'normal' people might not like it, we're not worth as much to our company as top level footballers are to their clubs.

edit: and in your case I'm pretty sure your company is breaching lockdown guidelines, you could absolutely report them to HSE.

Soldato
Maybe should have been a bit clearer. The person who been confirmed goes into isolation but those who was in close contact have to carry on. I believe it's the government own guidance so I'm not sure why they would force whole team into isolation for 1 confirm case.

Don
Another step closer. The PL has announced that all 20 clubs voted in favour of moving to phase 2 of training. Assuming the neutral ground situation will be resolved then, barring something major happening in the next few weeks, we should be ready to resume in the next 3-4 weeks.

Caporegime
Another step closer. The PL has announced that all 20 clubs voted in favour of moving to phase 2 of training. Assuming the neutral ground situation will be resolved then, barring something major happening in the next few weeks, we should be ready to resume in the next 3-4 weeks.

I always book big tournaments off so now the Euro's has been cancelled hopefully will be able to chill in the garden watching some premier League on a lovely summers evening :)

Permabanned
Whats the thinking behind neutral venues? Are they just so they can host matches in quicker succession and reduce travel? Otherwise what would be the benefit.

German football seems to be doing fine in their own stadiums.

Don
Whats the thinking behind neutral venues? Are they just so they can host matches in quicker succession and reduce travel? Otherwise what would be the benefit.

German football seems to be doing fine in their own stadiums.
It was a mixture of several reasons. The first idea was they hoped it would discourage supporters from turning up at stadiums, there was then the argument that by using fewer stadiums there would be less burden on the police and emergency services and also certain older stadiums may not have the facilities to make social distancing (for media & non playing staff) easy.

As of the PL meeting a few weeks ago it was agreed that the League would continue to discuss the situation with the police and it was reportedly that, hopefully, clubs would be allowed to use their own grounds. I've since seen it reported that it's possible that certain high profile & key games could still be held at neutral venues.

Soldato
I think the premier league are taking a risk with the testing, I have just listened to Andros Townsend interview on talk sport and he said the players are tested twice a week, surly they should be being tested daily especially with such close contact, which would hopefully get on top of any new cases quicker

Don
The lastest round of tests are in and it's 4 positives from 1000 tests this time. So prior to phase 1 of training we had 6 positives from 750 odd tests (approx 0.8% positive tests) and since returning we've had 6 positives from 2000 tests (approx 0.3% positive tests). Obviously it's still a small sample but I think we can say that phase 1 didn't increase the risk of players being infected.

I'm not sure exactly when phase 2 (full contact training) begins and which day players will be tested but fingers crossed they can keep positive results to no greater than the 0.8% that we saw prior to training resuming.

edit: and it's possible that some of the positive tests in the last round of testing could have been the same people that tested positive prior to training resuming.

Soldato
You have to be ******** me, this is not aimed at any team in particular, but they all screamed blue murder to get a bigger piece of the pie, because they are a bigger draw(fair enough) but now when money might have to be paid back it should be split equally, talk about hypocrisy.
From the mirror
“Liverpool are set to lead a group of top-flight clubs are preparing to argue against potentially paying rebates to Sky and other broadcasters at Thursday’s latest meeting.

A rebate is being sought by broadcasters because of contractual obligations going unfulfilled amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The Premier League has been suspended since March, and is due to return behind closed doors.

All 20 clubs were officially informed on Wednesday of the £340million sum they face paying, according to the Guardian.

However, the figure is not split evenly between each club and Liverpoolare leading a dispute against the current proposal.“

Soldato
That's not what that article says at all :confused:
That’s how I’m reading it
“All 20 clubs were officially informed on Wednesday of the £340million sum they face paying, according to the Guardian.

However, the figure is not split evenly between each club and Liverpool are leading a dispute against the current proposal.

Rather, because of how the rights terms are divided - 50 percent of money is divided equally with 25 percent awarded for live appearances and the other 25 percent dependent on league finishing position - the top six clubs face potentially paying back TREBLE the other 14 sides.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...0.1771317960.1583915222-1077895334.1590504882

Caporegime
"Liverpool, along with a number of other clubs – Tottenham and West Ham among them – dispute this idea. They believe fans not being able to attend games will increase the premium on live televised matches, with interest in any game shown heightened by the paucity of other live sports. The temporary lifting of the 3pm blackout on matches in the UK means the broadcasters will be able to show more live and clubs believe the value of their investment will increase."

You need to read the whole article dude, not just the first few sentences.

Soldato
"Liverpool, along with a number of other clubs – Tottenham and West Ham among them – dispute this idea. They believe fans not being able to attend games will increase the premium on live televised matches, with interest in any game shown heightened by the paucity of other live sports. The temporary lifting of the 3pm blackout on matches in the UK means the broadcasters will be able to show more live and clubs believe the value of their investment will increase."

You need to read the whole article dude, not just the first few sentences.
I did read the whole article, my understanding is if they have to pay anything back it should be equally split because the premier league will be broadcasting all games or trying too. What I’m saying is the top 6 get a bigger split and rightfully so, but if money has to be paid back then the same split should apply.
If I’m reading it wrong then fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom