Football Banter Thread

Caporegime
Obviously it's completely unacceptable behaviour here to do that but I have no idea what it's like in Spain, I think mainland Europe is probably less aware of how offensive that is.

Caporegime
That's not what I'm saying. The implications of painting your skin black in costume is very different in different areas of the world. I doubt he's even aware of how offensive and wrong that is over here and in the States in particular. It's racism through ignorance rather than intent. As you say Griezmann has team mates and friends (he's friends with Pogba for example) who are black so I doubt he's aware of it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Hes obviously racist for dressing up as a Harlem Globetrotter because what other reason could he possibly do it for. The world really is ******* depressing sometimes.

People don't do it because of the inevitable **** storm that accompanies anything like this, not because they don't want everyone to know they are secretly racist. I bet none of his black AM team mates or french team mates think there is an issue with this but hey, thank god there are people out there to be offended.

Caporegime
Hes obviously racist for dressing up as a Harlem Globetrotter because what other reason could he possibly do it for. The world really is ******* depressing sometimes.

People don't do it because of the inevitable **** storm that accompanies anything like this, not because they don't want everyone to know they are secretly racist. I bet none of his black AM team mates or french team mates think there is an issue with this but hey, thank god there are people out there to be offended.

It doesn't make him racist doing it, but it does make him an absolute cretin for being so culturally unaware that it would be received the way it was.

Associate
Zwarte Piet says hi.
black-pete-dutch.jpg

fez

fez

Caporegime
He himself might not be racist, but it helps legitimise people who do it for racist reasons etc, etc.

It really doesn't do anything of the sort.

"Why have you dressed as as a harlem globetrotter and blacked up?"

"I loved the harlem globetrotters as a kid and wanted to pay homage to them"

"Why have you come to a football match as blacked up gorillas and are throwing bananas at the black players on the pitch"

"Oh we just really dislike black people and think that they shouldn't be allowed to play football with the white players"

People who are racist hold racist view and discriminate against black people based on their race. I don't know at what point you became racist for doing something that certain people decided could be interpreted as negative in some way but its ******* ridiculous. No one in their right mind would think that he is being racist by dressing as a harlem globetrotter.

Perhaps we'll have some nice Spanish fans turn up as blacked up gorillas eating bananas at the next match because it's just fancy dress and not necessarily racist. He's at best massively insensitive to racist issues.

Thats clearly completely different. This is the sort of thing that people come out with to try and prove that every single occurrence of something has to be racist because you could do something similar and it would be racist.

People can go in fancy dress without blacking up. You can buy Jamaican bobsleigh style body suits and carry round a boiled egg without blacking up for anyone to get it.

They could also go around with a sign that says "I'm dressed up as one of the Jamaican bobsleigh team" and people would know who you dressed up as. Thats irrelevant. He didn't do it in a racist manner and he didn't intend any offence by it. Quite the opposite in fact. He clearly loved the Harlem Globetrotters and wanted to dress up as one of them.

Its sad that we can't possibly have any context applied to situations that someone deems racist or sexist etc.

Back
Top Bottom